Rule change activity????

Greg Miller

I can't believe that the latest rule change discussion was in 2013! (Rule change forum page)
Does that mean that everyone is satisfied this year with last year's rules?
That would make for a short board meeting :)

We already talked about staying fully belted and clothed in a race car that only smells like hot grass... probably don't need any rules about running "away" from the track to the nearest E-hole/safe haven.

That ancient regulation of waving the white flag (forever) following the pace (safety) car is still there. ROD will probably bat that one around a bit. We need to define how long that's really necessary since most times if it's gonna take more than a couple laps, the BFA has come out.

I know that ideas that might gain more flexibility in the event schedule for Race Chairfolks and Steward AT the event is something worth the discussion.

But like the man said, "You can't regulate everything. You gotta save some for the next shift."

Last edited:
Sorry Mr. Greg. Gonna have a whole new provisional class proposed this rule change season. Have the rules, getting the signatures. SpecE46, here we come!

dan

So wouldn't ya just take the PRO3 rules, white-out all the "E30" and replace it with "E46". Spec a tire and you're all set. ;)

There are also a few other proposals being tossed around, but nothing major compared to these BMW scoundrels.

Someone should take a look at the SCCA Fast Track there was a rule change with regard to seat belts that was interesting.

So wouldn't ya just take the PRO3 rules, white-out all the "E30" and replace it with "E46". Spec a tire and you're all set. ;)
No Ken, PRO3 took several side tracks for several reasons and Spec E46 should be much cleaner. PRO3 started as ITS that was no longer competitive with E36 and other cars. PRO3 could be much cleaner if it were to start over too. The E46 platform has inherent advantages from the factory that PRO3 has to add. It is 2 generations and 14 years newer with improvements to keep the Ultimate Driving Machine status.

Let's don't keep it a secret, boys... do tell.

Well, FASTTRACK is always a good read but, if you insist :)

The SCCA is redefining SFI seat belt rules so they expire in the same time frame as FIA belts!

When you remember that SFI 'defines' their rules and how they apply to things, I'm just not sure how the SCCA can modify an SFI 'rule' but they are gonna do it which is a GOOD THING! Only other option would have been to only accept FIA approved belts which would have opened them up to massive legal action.

THE WORDING FOR THE GCR:

GCR
1. #14272 (Richard Patullo) Seat Belt Expiration
Change 9.3.19.G.1.: 1. Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 or 16.5 shall bear a dated SFI Spec label. The certification indicated by this label shall expire on December 31st of the 2nd 5th year after the date of manufacture as indicated by the label. If for example the manufacture date is 2014 the second fifth year after the date of manufacture is 2019.

Note that the comment concerning '2nd 5th year' has to do with the way SCCA modifies the GCR document and is confusing. Basically the ref. to 2nd go away and are replaced by 5/5th. The rule will be the same as the FIA.

Last edited:
I'm just not sure how the SCCA can modify an SFI 'rule'

Uh, yeah, how ARE they going to do that and still remain as an SFI member or whatever they're called? I applaud the decision (although the financial benefit of my longer-"lasting," FIA-rated belts is now gone), but how "can" they do this? Can't wait until Rick Bostrom chimes in on this, as I know he has pretty strong opinions on SFI...

(Wait, is "strong opinons" and "Rick Bostrom" redundant? :D)

No Ken, PRO3 took several side tracks for several reasons and Spec E46 should be much cleaner. PRO3 started as ITS that was no longer competitive with E36 and other cars. PRO3 could be much cleaner if it were to start over too. The E46 platform has inherent advantages from the factory that PRO3 has to add. It is 2 generations and 14 years newer with improvements to keep the Ultimate Driving Machine status.

...and, SpecE46 is a national, sanctioning body-independent rule set, developed, constructed and "owned", for lack of a better term, but a group of SpecE46 drivers. NASA has adopted the rule set, in total, SCCA is in the process, and it looks like we'll be a class in ICSCC next year too. I expect BMW Club Racing will soon follow. One rule set, by reference to the national rule set.

The class is pretty cool - about 2 sec per lap faster than PRO3, so just barely out in front of the fast guys; simple suspension (simpler than PRO3); some "niceties", like power steering and ABS; stock engine internals, and sealed/spec tune, to severely limit run-away engine development programs.

Just in case this sounds to good to be true, we did actually have to make two nearly identical rule sets - one referencing the NASA GCR's re. safety, and one referencing the SCCA GCR's. Silly sanctioning bodies want to pretend the other doesn't exist. Be proud of our ICSCC leadership, though. They're ok with either reference (other than the fact NASA won't let us reference NASA in our rule set).

More to come - we plan on submitting the rule set and affidavits of participation to El Presidante Dave Bennitt and IRDC Rep Mike Olsen during the Mission weekend.

Dan

So who's building/has built any of these E46 cars yet? Any estimates on the cost for a basic setup beyond the cost of the car?
There are at least 2 built ones in the PNW I'm aware of, but you should start with http://spece46.com/ (links to the forums and Facebook page)

There's actually 4 built already. Wymore in OR, Grip has one, James/Dan have one and Andrew now has the strictly car on the track. I believe there are at least 2 more in build mode and probably quite a few on the fence.

Back