Ring and Pinion Setup Expert willing to help?

Scott Norton

Epic Win, I push limit
Our no budget race team is trying to put together a new diff ratio for the rest of the season. :eek:

None of us have ever tackled a setting up a ring and pinion before and we do not want to practice on my race car diff. :rolleyes:

We can do all the other work except that. We can bribe you to donate your labor with alcohol, food, jokes, and good company. We can assist in any way you deem necessary, i.e. handing you tools, holding the diff, sourcing parts, shims, etc. or we can just stay the heck out of the way. :p

We have a Diffsonline BMW E36 40% lock up diff in good shape with a 3.46 ratio. We want to install the 3.73 ring and pinion from a good working E30 diff. We know this works as many shops sell them this way.

There are many BMW and/or ICSCC forum sponsors and other sources that could do this but we cannot afford them plain and simple.

If you or someone you know has this skill set and is willing to help us out it would be greatly appreciated. Our current 3.38 OEM limited slip is not cutting it.

We can pull the carrier and pinion out and just bring the E36 housing/carrier to you or what is required to set up the ring and pinion only or you can come to us. The rest we can do.

Thank you,

Give Pat a call at Pat's Autosport, contact info below in my sig line or his mobile number is 206-909-2497. He's done a good job setting up the Dana in the Viper before, I'm sure he can get you taken care of.

Best to deliver the housing removed from the car, and whatever new seals may be needed.

Last edited:
None of us have ever tackled a setting up a ring and pinion before and we do not want to practice on my race car diff.

funny, that was how I learned!

Seriously, I have found that BMW's machining is accurate enough that if you
keep the carrier with the case
and
keep the pinion spacer with the pinion
(and in my case, use a new crush sleeve)

then you can move ring and pinion sets between cases.
But it's wise to use bluing to check the pattern after you've done so.
I've done 3 so far, and they've all survived the operation.

t

Give Pat a call at Pat's Autosport, contact info below in my sig line or his mobile number is 206-909-2497. He's done a good job setting up the Dana in the Viper before, I'm sure he can get you taken care of.

Best to deliver the housing removed from the car, and whatever new seals may be needed.

Thanks Randy! Duh why did in not think of that. I forget that Pat's skills are almost endless..:rolleyes:

Of course the diff would be out of the car and we would take it to whomever does the work. We would do as much of the labor as we can.

Our next race is Mission due to budget reasons so we have some time. The 3.46 is already out of a vehicle so once ready we would just install in the race car to replace the 3.38 in it currently.

funny, that was how I learned!

Seriously, I have found that BMW's machining is accurate enough that if you
keep the carrier with the case
and
keep the pinion spacer with the pinion
(and in my case, use a new crush sleeve)

then you can move ring and pinion sets between cases.
But it's wise to use bluing to check the pattern after you've done so.
I've done 3 so far, and they've all survived the operation.

t

Thanks Toby I will mention this. It is the "check with bluing" part that scares me being a ring and pinion rookie.:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks Randy! Duh why did in not think of that. I forget that Pat's skills are almost endless..:rolleyes:

Of course the diff would be out of the car and we would take it to whomever does the work. We would do as much of the labor as we can.

Our next race is Mission due to budget reasons so we have some time. The 3.46 is already out of a vehicle so once ready we would just install in the race car to replace the 3.38 in it currently.

Thanks Toby I will mention this. It is the "check with bluing" part that scares me being a ring and pinion rookie.:eek:

"Bluing" isn't that a result of very cold weather, or a lack of ?????

Back