Race suit rule question

Michael Maros

I am shopping for a race suit. Conference rule E1105 E 1. says two layers of Nomex are required. I want a suit that has 2 layers, not counting underwear. The manufacturers list their suits with an SFI rating. Sparco has an economical Jade suit which they say is three layer but does not say it is 3 layers of Nomex. It has an SFI label. SFI 3.2A5. Can anyone tell me if this complies with the 2 layer conference rule?

It'll be fine. Heavier and hotter than a more expensive suit, but it meets the rule... assuming it's made from something inherently fire-resistant like Nomex and not a retardent-treated fabric like Proban.

I am shopping for a race suit. Conference rule E1105 E 1. says two layers of Nomex are required. I want a suit that has 2 layers, not counting underwear. The manufacturers list their suits with an SFI rating. Sparco has an economical Jade suit which they say is three layer but does not say it is 3 layers of Nomex. It has an SFI label. SFI 3.2A5. Can anyone tell me if this complies with the 2 layer conference rule?

Michael,

Yes, the suit does comply with the rules.

The last number (5) indicates how long you have in a fire before you start to cook.
Memory serves the 5 stands for 15 to 20 second.
The numbers range from 1 to 30. with 30 being the best protection.
You can find more information at www.sfifoundation.com look under specifacation list.

Hope that helps.

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC & SCCA

3.2A/5 equates Thermal protection Performance (TPP) is 19 seconds. Second degree burns approx 10 Seconds.

I came here looking for the same answer. I have been looking for an entry level racing suit to do chump car races with this year with the hopes of eventually moving to conference racing within a few years. Originally I started looking at the Jade and Jade Top suits on saferacer since they are 3.2A/5 SFI Certified. I called Sparco today since I could not find what material they were made out of. Sparco stated they are made from a treated cotton material, not Nomex. They should still work just fine but might not last as long as a higher level Nomex suit.

If it's something like Proban, they're fine at first but degrade over time, both from use and from washing. Sparco might have info on when, but one wonders how quickly the fire rating degrades from its original value.

Just buy a $500 Nomex suit and be done with it. It will be heavier and hotter than something more expensive, but you can use it and clean it to your heart's content and it's still Nomex. Legal for things other than ChumpCar, too.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't worry about dying in a racecar crash. I worry about burning in a racecar after a crash. (After Joey Hand's big wreck in a BMW at Mid-Ohio several years ago, he said the only time he's ever been scared in his professional race career was when he thought the car might catch fire after it finally stopped somersaulting.)

"... he thought the car might catch fire after it finally stopped somersaulting"

I'll echo that same fear from the perspective of response to those incidents.

Often the trade off is comfort for security.

ORSCCA_7_09_621a.jpg

ORSCCA_7_09_609.JPG

Best of luck in your choices.​

I would suggest "biting the bullet" and buying a full Nomex suit also. I bought my suit in 1998 when I started road racing. It is a Simpson, and I think I paid about $400 at the time. It is probably a little heavier, but it has held up remarkably well. It is looking a little faded, but still has integrity and is still Nomex. I just wash it and dry it like a pair of jeans and it just keeps working for me. That's one heck of a great value!

Only other advice I have is DO NOT WORK ON YOUR CAR IN YOUR DRIVER SUIT! Oil will destroy it. I have broken my own rule once or twice early on, but never any longer.

I approached things in a similar fashion with: "I'll be super cheap now to get going and when can, piece by piece get the good stuff."

I started off with a big heavy G-Force suit ($250), used helmet, cheap gloves etc. Now owning a nice suit I "get it". It's absolutely worth the money.

Want a good (and light) 3 layer sparco suit. Speedware some on closeout. Might be the best time to make this decision!

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/drivers-gear?cat=45&manufacturer=2

The $700 (on closeout) X-Light is an amazing suit. Can't beat that deal.

Biggest mistake I made was trying to go "cheap" with buying racing gear. I purchased a simpson suit, something like $500, only for it to fit like crap, and be SUPER heavy. Same with gloves and shoes, went through a few pairs before I found stuff I was happy with.

I wear carbon-x (long sleeve) as well as a two-layer alpinestars suit. Compared to the simpson suit I had before, what I wear now is super light and comfortable.

Take a good look at the suit Colin has posted above, a seriously good suit for an awesome price.

Back