RACE ORP! request of a EX-Race Chair

Peter Belfanti

Writing this only as a member of ICSCC - no official TC views or message here. This is all on me.

I wanted to add this to the will conference survive thread, but thought it best to give it, it's own thread.

For three years I've been the acting TC race chair, but not in 2016. 1 of the 3 years were profitable. When I say profitable, I mean 10-15% on an almost $40,000+ 3 day weekend. Enough to keep the club assets in check and seed the next years event.

There is no secret formula to race pricing, and in case you need it spelled out... Total costs / estimated car count = per entry costs (add rounding to make pretty)... then argue about car count possibles/historical counts/why's.. tack on 10% and post the price. It really boils down to that. no screwing the drivers, no shorting the worker fund, no overcharging priced in.

No surprise this year that cost is up, why? Car count has been down and with the last two years of my over estimation of actual car counts and resulting financial losses have caught up in the formula.

I took these losses very personally, nobody likes to see the clubs bank account dwindle to a point of not being able to host events under their tenure. At 44 I've been a member of TC for almost 25 years, and this really hurts.

Trust me when I say I've heard some very appalling statements from drivers at registration, via email, and at the event with regard to price for the ORP offering. I have done everything I could possibly think of to return value to ICSCC entries, and inform ORP's ownership the shortfalls our teams express when attending ORP ICSCC events.

THEY DELIVERED THIS YEAR.. They being ORP ownership! They stepped up, and hit hard on YOUR #1 complaint (by means of surveys). Bathroom facilities. They are beautiful, clean, and OPEN this year. I wanted to name the race the 3S Grand Prix (sh*t, shower, shave) but wasn't successful.

To everyone that has sent me hate mail, complained at Registration, stuck a fork in TC over the past few years.. I say this, we lobbied hard with ORP for YOU AND YOUR NEEDS to get them to spend a significant amount of money building bathrooms. Ultimately it was an ORP ownership decision, but your input fueled that discussion.

It's time to help TC, for going to bat for the racing community. Yes our price is up, but we need you to step up for us this year. We have stepped up for what you want and need at ORP. We ask that you show up in numbers this year, supporting the work the club has done over the past three years. This year there wasn't enough money for key expenses, which some TC members have offered to pay for directly to keep this events quality as high as possible.

I encourage you to do TC a solid this year and attend our race... We have done the ICSCC teams right by representing your needs to ORP.. and they delivered. Please pay that work back and make ORP well attended next month.

Yours for the Sport
Pete Belfanti
#04 Club rabbit
#14 ST Mazda Miata

Last edited:
Great post Peter.

So many people fail to grasp the underlying costs of putting on a club meet. I think far too many watch professional racing, and having little or no knowledge of what it takes to put on a pro event, try to place amateur race meets in the same bucket.

My hat is off to the clubs and staff that work tirelessly to scrape these things together, and do whatever they can to make them work.

- - - Updated - - -

Great post Peter.

So many people fail to grasp the underlying costs of putting on a club meet. I think far too many watch professional racing, and having little or no knowledge of what it takes to put on a pro event, try to place amateur race meets in the same bucket.

My hat is off to the clubs and staff that work tirelessly to scrape these things together, and do whatever they can to make them work.

Back