Quick question about sunroof's

jrhaile

I'm having a hard time getting clarification on this so I thought I'd ask here. Does the sunroof hole have to be filled with something in order to pass safety?

I'd send e-mail directly to the Stewards for clarification, but I can't imagine that'd be a requirement. Although... I wonder if you'd have to use arm straps at that point? ;)

James, after roll cage welding is complete just tack weld a couple of straps in to hold the existing gutted blank in. Search bimmerforums for pics I lost the ones I had. Quick and easy.

James, after roll cage welding is complete just tack weld a couple of straps in to hold the existing gutted blank in. Search bimmerforums for pics I lost the ones I had. Quick and easy.

That was the plan except the M5 doesn't have metal/steel for the sunroof hole. It's a 45lbs glass roof :(

Our initial plan is to just glue in or make a quick bracket and weld in a piece of lexan plastic/glass but I'm still questioning this.

Last edited:
Ah.....makes welding difficult. Mine is bonded in with windsheild adhesive, then bolted to straps (3) from drivers side to passenger side just to be sure.
Finish that puppy!

1105.B.5:
"Arm Restraints. SFI or FIA-certified arm restraints are required
and must be utilized in all open-cockpit cars including formula
cars, and sedans with open targa tops, sunroofs, or T-tops."

1404:
"Sunroof. Production cars may be fitted with original equipment and/or after
market sunroofs. Sunroofs shall remain in a completely closed position
whenever the car is on the racing surface. For original equipment and after
market sunroofs made of glass or other breakable material, the Race
Steward may require that said roof(s) be taped in a manner designed to
prevent shattering in the event of an accident."

Take your glass roof to a fabricator and have them English Wheel you a steel replacement.

Do note that if you take out the reinforcement out of the sunroof itself on a sunroof car and your cat jumps on it from the rafters it will collapse inward. A quick bump on the underside will pop it back out (and scare the crap out of the cat).

Ah.....makes welding difficult. Mine is bonded in with windsheild adhesive, then bolted to straps (3) from drivers side to passenger side just to be sure.
Finish that puppy!

Getting close...

http://www.nwbmwforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=167410#167410

1105.B.5:
"Arm Restraints. SFI or FIA-certified arm restraints are required
and must be utilized in all open-cockpit cars including formula
cars, and sedans with open targa tops, sunroofs, or T-tops."

1404:
"Sunroof. Production cars may be fitted with original equipment and/or after
market sunroofs. Sunroofs shall remain in a completely closed position
whenever the car is on the racing surface. For original equipment and after
market sunroofs made of glass or other breakable material, the Race
Steward may require that said roof(s) be taped in a manner designed to
prevent shattering in the event of an accident."

Take your glass roof to a fabricator and have them English Wheel you a steel replacement.

Do note that if you take out the reinforcement out of the sunroof itself on a sunroof car and your cat jumps on it from the rafters it will collapse inward. A quick bump on the underside will pop it back out (and scare the crap out of the cat).

Good tips! Thank you very much. It doesn't state how the roof has to be closed so I would guess plastic/lexan are fine then.

Dave Marden had one done like that on his rabbit when he rolled it in Spokane some years ago. The impact shoved the blank down into the cockpit partially, putting the edge right in front of his face. He was lucky to escape uninjured. I was the first responded to that accident and couldn't believe that he hadn't hit the edge. I would weld the sucker in solid after seeing that.

Prior to welding mine in I put windshield retaining clips on the roof to make sure it stayed put.
Later, I gutted the structure in the metal sunroof, welded it in, and used poly seam sealer to smooth out the welded area inside. I also used car-colored self leveling seam sealer on the outside to keep water out.
Use blue tape to tape off areas where you don't want the seam sealer to be. Looks good. Lost a number of pounds way up high.

Back