Question for CF (or open wheel in general) people

Ryan_Hieronymus

[HOONIGAN]
This is most likely a ridiculous question... But what would happen if you were to shoehorn an LS-X motor into a CF (or similar) chassis? Would the chassis need extensive reinforcement, or would it even be possible to get the chassis to accept that kind of power? Obviously the tires would have to be replaced with larger ones. What are some other potential issues you could imagine? Just gathering info. Thanks guys!

FF and FC chassis are very tightly (physically tight) designed around the size of the Kent and Pinto engines. I'm guessing you are talking about an LSX V8 engine pumping out massive amounts of HP. in general, those who know say that the FF and FC chassis (pretty much the same) can handle up to about a max of 175 to 180 HP or so. Then you've got the question of gear box. Same general HP rating as the chassis. So, I'd say generally not a good overall plan and very dangerous to your health. Remember, you're talking about a tube frame here. General thinking is once you are capable of 160 PLUS MPH you need a monocoque chassis and maybe a carbon fiber design. FB with the MC engines are pushing the limits of what the FF/FC chassis can handle in terms of velocity.

You should probably look for an Indy Lights chassis if you want to go V8 with big HP. A couple for sale here.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/indylights.htm

Last edited:
Good info, thanks! An Indy chassis won't work for this project. The idea is to create a car very similar in appearance and performance to a Lotus 49 or generally a late 60's F1 car. Was hoping to use the front half of a CF chassis and redesign the back half to accommodate the larger engine / increased HP. We are in very early stages of info gathering, and learning about what might work, and what won't.. I'm all ears at this point, and have a lot of learning to do.

LOL I just tried another search to see if I could find some more help for you. Looks like you are 'second' with this project.

http://cnysubies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5487

The other scary thing about this is Colin Chapmen was NOT well known for building strength into his cars from that era. Lot of really good F1 drivers died in Lotus cars back then.

Here's another F1 simulation car that uses an LS engine. Please note in the third photo down the MASSIVE frame members used to box the front end of the car!! HUGE compared to an FF or FC front frame members. That's a ground up fresh chassis build to handle 320 HP. Again scary numbers in a tube frame car in this day and age.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...mula-1-experience-for-a-fraction-of-the-cost/

Last edited:
Thanks! I've seen both of the cars you linked too, and I really like the second one. I feel like there probably isn't a safe way to replicate an F1 car of that era. It would either be so heavy that the handling and performance wouldn't be even close, or you'd have to put such a small engine in it that it wouldn't give the same thrill. That being said, it's not like I'm trying to build something to win championships with, and drive at 10/10ths; just a long term project to satisfy a dream I've had for a long time.

I find it amazing that second car with 320 HP can be run for 35 minutes on 6 gallons of gas! That's close to what an FC would use in about 50 minutes.

Back