PRO-3 Results from Edmonton

db1

A.F.T.
From one of the Pro-3 driver's facebook page:

"Great race with the Pro3 guys in the GT race at Edmonton Indy. Tight racing, no contact, and a well behaved group from Seattle (and Alaska!). Miller, 1st; Beagle 2nd; Rogers 3rd, with Fred Wright right (and I mean right) behind. Tomorrow should be more great racing"

Sounds like Conference is being well represented at the Indycar race in Edmonton. Well done guys, hope to see you in Seattle next weekend.

db

We had a great time WAY up in Edmonton. Unbelievable to see our cars racing in that venue in front of crowds that huge. We literally had to "part the sea" to get the cars to the grid on Sunday.

Racing was a bit wacky, as it felt like we had 2 sets of bosses (NASCC and IRL) that didn't always agree with each other, and the some of the drivers went a little nuts in front of that many people. Lots of yellow. But I think most of the drivers will tell you it was one heck of an experience that they'd do again.

Oh yeah, and congrats to Fred Wright on his class win. He actually got to spray the champagne!

Last edited:
Tom,
I remember when we had the Molson Indy in Vancouver, as the Race Control Chief of Comm, I had 24 turns (all with radios) and 50 race cars all trying to impress people in the same piece of real estate. Lots of yellows, yes, I know of what you speak.
I am so glad that you guys had the opportunity to do the BIG ONE.
Maybe I can convince my better half to make the trek if you guys are going to do it again.
(Now wouldn't it be cool to have that kind of venue at Portland??)
See you in Seattle....if you have any energy left. The grids this weekend look awesome!!!!
Lynn

Update

The results posted were from the Qualifying Race (don't ask me - it's an Alberta thing). The feature race had Fred #1, Greg #2 (in a photo finish), and Beagle rounding out the podium. Champagne all around, plus great trophies. Check out the bmwpugetsound.com BB for more details.

Dan

I'd feel safer running with ICSCC Novices than this group

We wondered why so many cars were spinning, dive bombing, parking GT cars in the corners only to out drag us in the straights. We found out that there were pay and drive guys that had their first race (in Nascar look alikes with 600HP) in this event, vintage racers that raced this race only each year, and hot shoes in tube frame race cars wider than a semi. I felt more comfortable with the RX7s with known slidy rear ends than the others, for at least I knew they raced 4 times per year on pavement and as many times per year on ice. They were ok with us in their midst as we were in theirs (except for that obnoxious RX7 exhaust note)
Saturday's drivers meeting went something like "If your group drops any more oil on track or passes under yellow, and double yellow - IRL is going to ask you to pack up and leave. If you even think your car is going to puke oil stay in the paddock!" Speaking to all 57 cars. You can be assured that all PRO3 cars and Carlo Tesler-Mabe in an E36 and the BMW 2002 team, all with ICSCC experience were not the target for these stern words from the stew.
There is probably no better flagging than at an IRL event, and the turn people did a great job. Yet there was so much passing under yellow we were wondering if the drivers were blinded by the sun.
Scott Adare knows the officials and sponsors for the GT race and he had a nice paddock spot all set up for us in a short row between the concessions and the IRL paddock. It made for lots of foot traffic and in 90 degree heat some great views. ;) They estimated 35,000 watched our race and up to 50,000 showed up in for the Indy race.

The results posted were from the Qualifying Race (don't ask me - it's an Alberta thing). The feature race had Fred #1, Greg #2 (in a photo finish), and Beagle rounding out the podium. Champagne all around, plus great trophies. Check out the bmwpugetsound.com BB for more details.

Dan

Its not an "Alberta thing" this is the first time I have experienced it...Great racing guys I am intrigued about the PRO3 thing!

Anthony
1969 BMW 2002

We wondered why so many cars were spinning, dive bombing, parking GT cars in the corners only to out drag us in the straights. We found out that there were pay and drive guys that had their first race (in Nascar look alikes with 600HP) in this event, vintage racers that raced this race only each year, and hot shoes in tube frame race cars wider than a semi. I felt more comfortable with the RX7s with known slidy rear ends than the others, for at least I knew they raced 4 times per year on pavement and as many times per year on ice. They were ok with us in their midst as we were in theirs (except for that obnoxious RX7 exhaust note)
Saturday's drivers meeting went something like "If your group drops any more oil on track or passes under yellow, and double yellow - IRL is going to ask you to pack up and leave. If you even think your car is going to puke oil stay in the paddock!" Speaking to all 57 cars. You can be assured that all PRO3 cars and Carlo Tesler-Mabe in an E36 and the BMW 2002 team, all with ICSCC experience were not the target for these stern words from the stew.
There is probably no better flagging than at an IRL event, and the turn people did a great job. Yet there was so much passing under yellow we were wondering if the drivers were blinded by the sun.
Scott Adare knows the officials and sponsors for the GT race and he had a nice paddock spot all set up for us in a short row between the concessions and the IRL paddock. It made for lots of foot traffic and in 90 degree heat some great views. ;) They estimated 35,000 watched our race and up to 50,000 showed up in for the Indy race.

I think this is very well said! I had a great time all round but the only "complaint" I have was the caliber of the drivers...it was pretty bizzare! From the "rental" race cars that would fly by my 40 year old brick down the straight only to brake way to early and get passed by me 1 second later to the bizarre smoke show at turn one by the rx7 driver to the NSX that dumped every imaginable fluid on the track in every single session!

You guys did the BMW marque proud Scott put on a good show....and someone owes me a bottle of "water wetter"!

Ciao guys!

Anthony
1969 BMW 2002

That's me. Sorry I left town without settling up - it slipped my mind in all the excitement. Will you be at any upcoming Conference races?

Gosh, Bob - first blocking in Spokane, now stealing the guys water wetter! Get your act together!

(Oh yeah, that was me blocking on the back straight ...) :)

Thanks to Ken Hill for taking my car up, it was a great experience to drive in the race. Enthusiastic crowds all weekend. Our seven PRO-3 cars lined up looked great in the paddock. The autograph session we got to participate in was a hoot.

The organizers probably need to vett some of the entries more closely, but I'm hoping we get the invite to go again and I hope I have the funds again to make the trip next year.

On my first session my lap time was a 1:56.xx, a full 17 seconds behind the best PRO3 time for the Friday warm up. I was sort of just happy to be out on the tarmac it seemed. Took a while to get a feel for the track, and each session Stephanie told me over the radio I was taking multiple seconds off my best time, only to come in and find out everyone else had too! doh!

But in the end I was able to post a lap time of 1:36:1x which was within 5/10ths of deomon Fred's fast lap, so I did get the track figured out come race time. Very fun track to drive. I found the track surface easy on tires, and overall easy on brakes.

The turnworkers were great, and in fact the flags were really easy to spot with all of the catch fencing up. The flags stood out really well.

Last edited:
A hoot but hot in Edmonton!

Hi gang! I have to comment on the flagging ... you'll get a chuckle out of knowing that there were a good number of us conference workers doing that flagging! Many of us had flown over for the Indy race, and as we were required to be on the headset for the pro stuff, I, at least, happily handed communications over to the locals and took up the blue flag at Turn 7 ... AND I HAD A BLAST! WhooooEEEEE that was wild. There were many "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN" blues, and I did my best to try to keep track of where you guys were running, but as you've said, cars that looked like they should be stinking fast were ... not. I'm really glad you all enjoyed yourselves, and was sorry to see your race having to run for so many laps under the yellow. But I was sorrier still for Graham Corkerton, the starter, who often comes to Mission to help out - his medical condition was what brought out the yellow. The last I heard he was resting in hospital.

Anyway, you did us all proud, and as I happily hollered out anytime one of the drivers showed up at my corner in their civvies ... CONFERENCE ROCKS!!!

I'm looking forward to more racing in Seattle this weekend.

Some pics

3 cars ready to unload from ken's trailer:

Edm-1.jpg

Autograph session, shot by Stephanie:

Edm-2.jpg

Goodyear was selling old rubber for $5 a tire so we ended up signing a half dozen tires, LOL.

Edm-3.jpg

Edm-4.jpg

Edm-5.jpg

On the wall between T1 and T2 for IRL qualifying:

Edm-6.jpg

Back