Pro-3 car 4-door vs. 2 door.

ShaunRoberts

From what I have read, on the internet (Can't trust everything you read!).

The weight differencet is 30 lbs. between the 4 and 2 door.
They have the same wheel base.
Is sounds like it not difficult to get down to the 2650 minimum weight?

Is there any disadvantage to go with the 4 door as a pro-3 car?

Shaun.

Of the 40 PRO3 cars out there, 5 or 6 are 4-doors. Both can get down to 2,650lbs no problem. Most guys add weight to make 2,650. I like the 4-door because it's easier to access the back of the car for things like putting in a video camera, mounting harnesses, etc.

Both 2-doors and 4-doors have held lap records.

As one of those 4-door owners, I can attest to what Lance says about the rear seat access being so much easier. That may not seem like much, but just ask my crew about it!

As for the weight? Well, that depends on how you build the car. The Reaper is overweight and it's been difficult to get down to weight with the larger (15") wheels under me. I run about 40lbs over. But I've got extra stuff too. I run a 10# fire bottle vs. 5#; my fuel cell cage is pretty beefy, and a few other small items that do add up.

If I were to do it again? I like the 4-door!

...but could be convinced to build a two door...I like that a two-door has a larger exit door/window than the four-door.

running a car that is close to a pro3 its still and e30 different motor (ITA) mine is a 2door and i like the four door and the ability to access the rear seat area but mine is a 2door so i have to live with what i think are better looks lol

If you can find a 4-door 5-speed you'll probably pay a little less for the car vs. a 2-door. The 2-doors are generally more popular with the street car crowd which drive up the price. Many of the 2-doors will be sport models which add value as a street car. For a race car conversion most of the "sport" items will be pulled from the car. The exception being the 3.73 limited slip diff, though most guys swap that out for a 4.10 or something slightly higher (rule change coming).

In reality more of the 4-doors you'll find are automatics. You can do a 5-speed swap, but you are probably better to find a 5-speed to start your project.

Look for an 'i' motor instead of an 'e' motor. Though again, swapping an 'i' motor into an 'e' chassis is possible I understand without too much fuss. Greg Miller has done this.

On a related note, don't fall victim to the promise of a cheap car because it has body damage! You'll spend more time and more money trying to get it straightened. Spend a little extra to get that straight car.

Avoid the 318's as well. The only thing those models share with Pro3 is the sheet metal. Everything under it has to be replaced/upgraded to the 325i model. Even if free, a 318i will cost you more to convert than finding a 325i...

For that matter, there are a couple of Pro3 cars for sale as well. Not a bad place to start there.

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hoooorrrrrsssepowerrrrrr..

drooling-homer.gif

Back