Portland opening weekend

duane_martinsen

Let's go racing
I like what I see. Over 200 entries for the opening weekend and still climbing. All of the classes are well represented. I don't want to speak too soon but the 1 hour enduro is shaping up to be an interesting event.
Now all we need is some good Northwest weather. DM

The 1 hour sprint race is really taking shape. Kicking myself for not committing for the opening weekend, but I can't do them all and this is one I crossed off. Will definitely be there later in the year for round 2. Hopefully Pacific will fill up as nicely as the Rose City opener. Be careful Duane and watch that T12 exit!! Will have to have you come up to Poulsbo and look at our "shop" which we should complete in a week or so....

Bill-

30 cars in group 8.

As it stands this is currently 3rd largest field. Group 1 and 2 are the largest and Group5 at 29 entries.

Another exciting group is the 25 entries in NCW! That's inspiring.

Agreed on all angles. I feel very good about my chances to be there in a 944 (although it won't be mine) and although I'm in portland today/tomorrow I fly back late Thursday. Weather is iffy as of now and looking at the forecast I think Friday will be wet, but should have only a light sprinkle on Saturday.

Sunday racing should be spectacular!!!

G2 & Enduro here I come!

Last year's PRO3 count for Race #1 at PIR saw 16 PRO3 entries. Current count for this year is 26 PRO3 entries. Even more impressive in my opinion are the 7 or 8 PRO3 cars running in the Novice race. Most of them are new PRO3 cars making their debut in Conference along with their novice drivers. Many have been building their race cars over the last year or two as time and money were available. So this race weekend is the culmination of a lot of hard work and dedication for these folks. Well Done!

The registration list looks great, particularly for the enduro and the new home for the 944 Cup - Group 2.

31 right now for the enduro! :biggrin: Glad to see such a good subscription rate and I think it will be a great event. It's a nice format variation that is within reach of so many people. The 'Not So Fast' class should be awesome... 944's, Miatas on Hoosiers (and Gary Bockman), Colin in his Honda, and more. It's hard for me to plan a strategy as I don't know how the performance will even out, and traffic will certainly play a role too. Kudos to Cascade for trying out a new format and I look forward to an awesome race!

With 944 Cup moving to Group 2 we should continue to have some great runs with the Miata clan as well as ITX cars. 38 cars as of right now... very interested to see how the group dynamics change.

2012 is looking good from Round 1!

This will be an excellent chance to break in my new Camera!

Can't wait to meet everyone in person.

944's, Miatas on Hoosiers (and Gary Bockman), Colin in his Honda, and more. It's hard for me to plan a strategy as I don't know how the performance will even out, and traffic will certainly play a role too. Kudos to Cascade for trying out a new format and I look forward to an awesome race!

At this point I would not put money on myself. Since the cars HAVE to adhere to the rules of their traditional classes (My car has to meet ITA minimum weight for example), that puts me in a tough spot because the new rules for Spec Miata allows them to run Hoosiers now not Toyos (if I recall correctly) and last year my fastest time @ PIR without the chicane was a 24.5 (on Hoosiers) and the fastest SM on Toyos was a 25.5. We all know that the Purple Crack is worth another second.

Also the 944 cars how POWA! So without the Chicane there goes that advantage!

I have to add about 40lbs of weight to my car due to how much weight I've lost as a person and now it appears I'm going to run qualifying laps the entire race! This isn't a "mini-enduro", it's a "long-sprint-race".

I.....can't.....wait!

At this point I would not put money on myself.

Also the 944 cars how POWA! So without the Chicane there goes that advantage!

I.....can't.....wait!

CK,

Don't count yourself out with the 944Cups. From a power/acceleration perspective, they aren't as well off as the PRO3 cars. On brakes and mid-corner speed, though, they are awesome.

You'll do fine - I'd bet on you!

Dan

Man I should have made up my mind sooner so I could have a car ready...

I'll be there helping a Novice Open Wheel guy with his F1000.

My car will hopefully be at Seattle even if paint is not done yet. I'll be driving and a friend will be driving in NCW with it. Turning another karter to cars....

I think in the NotSoFast class the 944 probably has a bit more top end, which might give us a bit of an advantage without the chicane. But there are a lot of good drivers and new variables so we're all guessing until we get out there. Add in the faster traffic lapping through and I agree we are going to have a crazy hour-long sprint race. I haven't run since 2009 without the chicane so I have to hope my current times would be relative to Colin.

All this just makes it more exciting to me so I am really fired up about this weekend! Looks like the new event format has found a sweet spot for participation.

Last edited:
Back