Portland gates?

mikeblaszczak

When are the gates at Portland opened? This is the only track that restricts Friday access, but no information in the race announcement describes the procedure.

....This is the only track that restricts Friday access, but no information in the race announcement describes the procedure.

Isn't it "THE CLUB" that's stopping entry to avoid a 'slow down' in track use by the school/test cars? I don't think the track is saying no crossing.

Usually there's a post here that says... Line up at the back gate and you'll be allowed in at 5:30 PM.

I believe that when CSCC's Driver Training operations moved into the North paddock the policy changed. The gates require someone to open & shut them, which usually comes in the form of a hired security guard. Two, if entering through turn 8 and at least one if through S/F. So cost is an important factor in that decision. Of course, there are the interuptions to the flow of the schedule being maintained by a smaller force of voluteers on any given Friday.

Last edited:
The paddock gets quite crowded too, with people taking advantage of early set up opportunities and not contributing help at the track (which we desperately need, all of us). With 60 to 70 students, foot traffic and no Paddock Marshall to control the flow it gets kinda crazy.

Maybe CSCC can adjust the policy if someone stepped up and volunteered to be a Paddock Marshal and more of the people coming in early would work corners or something (hint hint, mug nudge, know what I mean?)

Sorry, I usually post up about track entry. I guess I forgot this time due to racing almost every weekend plus life stuff.....
I've asked Tracy to add this to her to-do list--not sure if it made it yet.

Just to clarify: The inner paddock gets pretty crowded with around 80 entries and the rigs of instructors and other who are helping out.
The DT entrants pay good money to be there and they get priority until the track goes cold around 5pm.

If you want to get in before 5, then you can enter the new Test n Tune -- only licensed racers with no passing restrictions!
Or you can sign up to help out or instruct, which gives you permission to bring your rig in with you.

If you are not involved with the driver training (or setup for the weekend :) , then racers are to line up on the north access road to enter the track at turn 8, after the track goes cold around 5pm.

As usual, thanks for your understanding and courtesy for the driver training entrants.

Thanks for the update, Karen. I appreciate that the gates are closed for a reason; I'm just asking for some documentation in the race announcement about when the track will be opened so I can plan my drive to the track. I also notice that the track crossings aren't documented in the announcement, and it seems like there's lots of hot laps between sessions when I can't get out or back in after getting parts or gasoline.

If these procedures are necessary, that's fine; but I would very much appreciate if they were documented as it would make attending the races that much easier.

From a Paddock Marshals view point, “why with not one but two paddocks at PIR are the races run out of the north Paddock”, when the south paddock is much more user friendly????

What if the DT along with the Straight line cars, and the Motor Cycles ran out of the North Paddock….

That would leave the larger south paddock available for the larger race groups….

Just wondering.

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC & SCCA

One reason I stuck with running the DT out of the inner paddock was that it meant that some of the setup (registration, personnel, vehicles, equipement, ...) from Friday could stay in place for the weekend. It seemed simpler to keep everything in one place. On the other hand, I wasn't around in previous years when we used the south paddock.

I recommend suggestions with reasons to back them up be forwarded to the CSCC board which includes Tracy.
Mike, you have some valid issues that I would recommend bringing to the board's attention. They are listed on Cascade's website.

From a Paddock Marshals view point, “why with not one but two paddocks at PIR are the races run out of the north Paddock”, when the south paddock is much more user friendly????

What if the DT along with the Straight line cars, and the Motor Cycles ran out of the North Paddock….

That would leave the larger south paddock available for the larger race groups….

Just wondering.

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC & SCCA

The south paddock would have to be emptied for the nightly drag races. The staging lanes are not easily accessible from the north paddock. That was decided many years ago now. Yes, it is a pain to have to wait for a track crossing break. One option thatvis open to all is parking a vehicle on the south side of the bridge. many folks do that so they can come and go without hold up at the gate. It is also a good way to get some much needed cardiovascular exercise.

Is the rule about not carrying fuel over the bridge an enduro-only rule, or does it apply at championship race weekends, too?

Leaving a rig outside is a viable option for people who have an extra street vehicle and the crew to drive it to the race. I don't think it's a viable option for everyone. This is club racing: lots of us are on our own without much support, and being able to know when someone's joyride interferes with my ability to get across to get parts and fuel is something that we need to be able to predict.

Really, Mike, you need to forward your concerns about the extracurricular laps to the board and the race chair. I think it would make alot of sense to designate set times when those rides will be allowed and hence not interfere with track crossings. Or at least to guarantee that there will still be time for crossings after the rides finish.

If I remember correctly, years ago when it was decieded to move every body into the north paddock, so as not to inconvence the drags, AND stop the theifs from our rigs, there was a plan to build a cross over bridge that was going to start at the out side north road gate and enter the track area just east of the inside turn 8 gate in the grassy area. Due to not having the money and the pressure from the clubs, this has not been done and probly never will. If the bridge was build, then all the other problems would go away. $$$$$$$

Back