Paraplegic Driving Controls

racerx69

Gear Jammer/IBEW Retired
I am going to loose the use of my left leg for about 6 months due to surgery on my foot. All of my vehicles have manual gearboxes, and I refuse to go out and buy (or rent) a car with an automatic.

I contacted a local company that sells handicap driving controls, but they refuse to sell me the components. Even the manufacturer has declined my inquiries. They insist that the only way to outfit my car is to allow them to do the installation.

And the prices they are quoting are ridiculous, $5,000 to $6,000. There can't be more than a couple hundred bucks in parts and materials.

Having worked as a mechanic for over 30 years, and holding ASE auto and truck master mechanic certifications, it has been a very long time since I paid someone else to work on my vehicles.

There have been a few fellow racers in Conference who are disabled, and have cars with hand controls, John Boyko from Canada, and Jon Brewer from Portland. Does anyone here know how to get in touch with these guys? I figure they should be able to give me guidance for setting up a manual clutch mechanism for my car.

I was John Brewers race partner. I set up our BMW with several versions of hand controls. All you need is a vacuum source, a remote clutch master cylinder, and a vacuum diaphram.for the clutch.
we used an assembly from a VW shift setup.
The brakes and throttle are operated by hand using a lever mounted to the steering column.
What are you installing the controls in? gracer25@msn.com

I was John Brewers race partner. I set up our BMW with several versions of hand controls. All you need is a vacuum source, a remote clutch master cylinder, and a vacuum diaphram.for the clutch.
we used an assembly from a VW shift setup.
The brakes and throttle are operated by hand using a lever mounted to the steering column.
What are you installing the controls in? gracer25@msn.com

Hey Gordon, I remember you. You and John shared the car, right?

I'm hoping to set up something in my 2005 Subaru Legacy wagon. Hopefully the surgery will only have my left foot and leg out of 'service' temporarily, and I won't need to set up hand controls for the brake and gas.

I had considered something using a motorcycle clutch master cylinder and lever, mounted to a modified shift lever, and tee into the OEM system to keep it intact. But I'm not sure if that would have enough volume to operate the slave on the car, and I'm also thinking that I would need to have check valves to isolate one master cylinder from the other.

Maybe you could elaborate on how the setup you had is configured. How does the clutch master cylinder you used work with the vacuum diaphragm, is it like vacuum boosted brakes? Did it work in parallel with the foot operated system, or was that removed? I recall looking the car over back then, I also had looked at Boyko's car, but that was 20 years ago. Even though I didn't have a need for it then, I was fascinated by the mechanics of the whole thing.

Thanks in advance for your help with this Gordon.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
I had our race car set up so both of could drive it. There was a two way hydraulic switch between the stock MC and the Vacuum operated MC.
A solenoid operated the Vacuum MC. The Solenoid was triggered with a momentary switch.
At first we "Teed" into the brake vacuum line. We ended up with a vacuum pump out of a GM car. I suppose you could use a Vacuum assist from a brake booster to
operate the MC.

I had our race car set up so both of could drive it. There was a two way hydraulic switch between the stock MC and the Vacuum operated MC.
A solenoid operated the Vacuum MC. The Solenoid was triggered with a momentary switch.
At first we "Teed" into the brake vacuum line. We ended up with a vacuum pump out of a GM car. I suppose you could use a Vacuum assist from a brake booster to
operate the MC.

OK, so with the momentary switch activating the solenoid, how is the clutch engagement feathered for initial engagement?

Is this for a race car, or street car? I've driven my street cars through several knee injuries by simply operating clutch pedal by hand, with my umbrella. Not all transmissions are equal, but with mine I was able to make my entire daily 30-40mi commutes, only using the clutch at stop lights. It might be worth a try before spending money on hardware.

Is this for a race car, or street car? I've driven my street cars through several knee injuries by simply operating clutch pedal by hand, with my umbrella. Not all transmissions are equal, but with mine I was able to make my entire daily 30-40mi commutes, only using the clutch at stop lights. It might be worth a try before spending money on hardware.

It is my grocery getter.

I have seen a device available that clamps onto the pedal with a knob on the handle end. It simply lays in your lap as you drive and when needed you use it to depress the pedal. It is actually designed for automatic equipped vehicles, to be portable from one car to another easily, and comes as a pair of these things. I did find a place that sells the brake and gas pedal versions separately.

Cheap, about $150.

I'm probably going to go that route. It would be a bit like the umbrella, eh? Actually I have forearm crutches, and they are short, and have used them like the umbrella when I had surgery before. It can get a bit sketchy if you are in traffic and the tip slips off the pedal at the wrong time.

After hearing from Gordon here I don't think I want something that is only on or off. If I am on a hill I need a bit of control over the engagement of the clutch, and even leaving a stoplight, etc. requires a bit more driveability than the on/off servo would offer.

Last edited:
Back