ORP Racing

Karen Stimson

Thanks to TC for being great hosts. You guys were great at making us feel welcome and appreciated.

There was some really good driving and racing going on. Ryan had a couple nice runs to pick up Pro3 wins. And I saw Ryan, Gavrila and Tucker post very quick times for Pro3 cars. Shobert really up'ped the ante on GTL by breaking the record twice this weekend--very nice job.
I know there were other records broken also.

Nice job by some novices who were running in the regular groups too.

I have been around a lot of Motorsports events but none that made me feel as welcomed at TC did. Thank you everyone for a great weekend.

Thanks to Skip Yocom, Bill Murray, and all the TC crew for a stellar event AND keeping everyone well fed all weekend long. And a HUGE thanks to the safety and corner workers and all the ORP event staff for keeping everything on schedule and running smoothly.

During G2 qualifying Sunday morning the safety folks cleared the broken Miata from T3 very quickly. I had bedded brakes during the first few laps and was letting them cool in the hot pits. Due to the yellow and the placement of the disabled car I didn't think I would get back out for a hot lap but you guys were so fast to clear it to a safe area I was able to return to the track and secure the G2 pole. Awesome work as always from the folks in white!

As usual we had a great time and some incredible racing. Hope the 944's could keep you entertained... we were happy to finally break into the 2 minute club on Monday and had a great battle flag to flag. Absolutely love the the circuit and all the wonderful Conference family camaraderie!

Just a great time! Beautiful weather, great atmosphere, and even when problems arose, everyone worked their troubles out.. Really great chance to meet other drivers, and make new friends as well as hang out with all those I already know.

ORP is such a great track for those just starting out, because it's very technical, but forgiving. Really gives you a chance to push your abilities, and get used to driving in traffic, and if it all goes pear-shaped, you can put the car off the course without major damage allowing you a chance to reflect on where you error'ed!

Looking forward to the next race there..

I :heart: ORP.

Big thanks to TC, the workers and the stewards.

A big Thank You to Mike Olsen for saving my bacon with his welding skills. Unfortunately during the 2nd race I did some agricultural work which undid Mike's welding on my exhaust. GRRR.

The things that stood out for me were:

1: "The race will be conducted on the racing surface" seemed to be a recurring theme. So I suppose I should take this time to say... my bad. However because of the damage caused by not painting within the lines I think I'm going to have to repeat that saying to myself while sitting on pre-grid, along with my usual: "Drive it back on the trailer."

2: Tucker-freakin'-Sheppy. Qualifying 2nd in PRO3, losing a place in the race, getting it back and finishing behind Ryan. Great job Tucker! Someone give this a guy a ride in Grand-am already!

3: The battle between Tracy and Andy in Spec Pinata was terrific. Well fought, unfortunately I didn't catch their 2nd race but I hope it went well. I look forward to video.

4: Perry Hartman in the ITA Nissan Sentra. I raced door handle to door handle, bumper to bumper with him right on the cutting edge and he was aggressive, clean and predictable allowing us to battle tightly and safely. I look forward to some close ITA battles with him in the future and it's good to see another car at the pointy end of the ITA lap times.

Thanks again to everyone.

Colin, you were not the only one coloring outside the lines, but I think more managed to stay inside the lines this weekend than previous events. Must be that more drivers are getting comfortable with the flow of the track. I got so many laps driving Safety II (Skip's F350 king cab) that even I was starting to feel comfortable. I doubt that Skip's truck will be happy just towing the trailer anymore.

Let it be known that License Director Bob Mearns is a brave man. On Monday afternoon, when he could have been getting on the road early for his long drive, he bravely or foolishly chose to ride shotgun in Safety II. He speent the afternoon sliding around the leather seats in Skip's truck as we went out to tow cars and clean up after those who did not stay between the lines. He got his cardio workout that day. He also added some grey hairs to his collection. Thanks for the help Bob. Much appreciated.

I think I watched the best race of the weekend. Ryan and Jeff going hammer and tong for 20 minutes in EIP, to include side by side from turn one almost all the way to the half pipe. I will upload the video tonight, so all can see how great it was.

Thanks to Karen Stimson for the coaching this weekend. Thanks to Gordon Jones and Mike Stimson for the "techinal support", all of which helped me greatly this weekend.

Last but not least, thanks to the workers. I worked turn 13 for the last three races Saturday afternoon, I was so friggin miserable by the end of the novice race. I can not believe volunteers would stay out there all day. THANK YOU WORKERS.

Thanks to all who put on this event. The food was *spectacular*, the socials were very welcoming, and I really like the idea of presenting awards to class winners and record-breakers in a group context. I had no idea that Skip was such a "hugger" :)

Pre-grid was always well organized, despite some very junior volunteers - their innocent diligence was refreshing and fun to watch. As usual the track is simply stellar, rewarding the precise driver with a roller-coaster ride every lap.

Great event!!

Let it be known that License Director Bob Mearns is a brave man. On Monday afternoon, when he could have been getting on the road early for his long drive, he bravely or foolishly chose to ride shotgun in Safety II. He speent the afternoon sliding around the leather seats in Skip's truck as we went out to tow cars and clean up after those who did not stay between the lines. He got his cardio workout that day. He also added some grey hairs to his collection. Thanks for the help Bob. Much appreciated.

Thanks Rob - I had a great time and learned a lot under your guidance. And I had no idea what kind of mid-corner speed a 1-ton long bed crew cab is capable of!

Drivers - if you're like me you have no idea the urgency that the E-crew specifically and all volunteers in general feel to make conditions safe for us to race, right now! In the Group 1 race when Pace reported big gravel in T7, these guys rushed to the scene, with me hanging on, to clean up the track. What struck me was the urgency to get the track cleaned up ASAP so that green flag racing could commence. Hence the cardio workout that Rob mentions - he's not exaggerating.

LOL! My welding skills are suspect at best. I brought the welder on a whim, thinking that there was going to be a good chance I might need it, not having been to the track prior to this weekend. I think that will be a mainstay piece of trailer equipment from here on out.

What a great event! TC put on a great show and the hospitality was 100% throughout the entire weekend. Our encampment had loads of fun in the upper paddock area as evidence by the near constant stream of laughter coming from our general vicinity.

In my mind, this weekend epitomizes what Conference is all about: good friends; good racing; good food; good fun!

Thanks to all involved for a wonderful weekend at ORP! The food was spectacular, the weather cooperated, the track is amazing, and the camaraderie inviting. I'd especially like to thank Lee, my fellow novice Geoff (and brother Tim), the Legends gang, and all those in Group 3 who joined us for the final race, and of course the workers! Apologies for my increasingly slower laps on Monday's race; turns out a throttle cable bracket lost a bolt, and I was opening the carbs less and less each lap. Cheap and easy fix luckily! I appreciate everyone watching out for me as my laps dropped for 2:07 to 2:47... :p

James Wege

ITA

A great BIG thanks to everyone at OPR and TC for a great weekend.

Colin, you and I both on "Mowing the Grass". I want to thank you for the great time, the tight racing, and showing me how hard that I can push a car. I am looking forward to seeing the video. Spokane is going to be fun.

Perry

I :heart: ORP.

Big thanks to TC, the workers and the stewards.

A big Thank You to Mike Olsen for saving my bacon with his welding skills. Unfortunately during the 2nd race I did some agricultural work which undid Mike's welding on my exhaust. GRRR.

The things that stood out for me were:

1: "The race will be conducted on the racing surface" seemed to be a recurring theme. So I suppose I should take this time to say... my bad. However because of the damage caused by not painting within the lines I think I'm going to have to repeat that saying to myself while sitting on pre-grid, along with my usual: "Drive it back on the trailer."

2: Tucker-freakin'-Sheppy. Qualifying 2nd in PRO3, losing a place in the race, getting it back and finishing behind Ryan. Great job Tucker! Someone give this a guy a ride in Grand-am already!

3: The battle between Tracy and Andy in Spec Pinata was terrific. Well fought, unfortunately I didn't catch their 2nd race but I hope it went well. I look forward to video.

4: Perry Hartman in the ITA Nissan Sentra. I raced door handle to door handle, bumper to bumper with him right on the cutting edge and he was aggressive, clean and predictable allowing us to battle tightly and safely. I look forward to some close ITA battles with him in the future and it's good to see another car at the pointy end of the ITA lap times.

Thanks again to everyone.

Thanks to TC and all the people who helped to put on a great race. It was great weather, great people, great food and great racing!

I really enjoyed the social on Saturday, a good way to get all the racers together and throw back a few, and do some bench racing. I would like to suggest that there might be some consideration for those with food allergies. Myself and Colin were unable to attend the Sunday social because of the food being served. Next year we will shoot off e-mails prior asking for some consideration.

See you all in Portland!

Allergies are annoying. We didn't attend Sunday because of my allergies--I didn't want another roast beef sandwich like I took with me on Sat. (and had for lunch each day) ... sorry we missed you all, we weren't trying to be snobs, but the steak and gnocchi I cooked was alot more exciting than "bring my own sandwich." :)

Nice Colin - just saw the email link from my cousin....I was so bummed to be on family duty this weekend, but it was nice to see him actually driving HIS for once since I entered the first two races. Mine is at home and getting broken in now so I will see about what race I enter next....

Back