ORP - Counterclockwise ?!?

jimmc8

A little birdie told me today that there are plans to run ORP in reverse direction. Tell me it isn't so . . . please.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this track but I'll be taking a pass at ORP counterclockwise. IMHO there are several corners that are just too dangerous. A track day is one thing but running wheel-to-wheel . . . no way.

Flame on.

I know the track was built with the intention of running it both directions and it has been for HPDEs. There needs to be a lot of work done to make it safe for racing going the "other way," but I'm sure the relevant parties know that better than I.

The bigger question, perhaps, is: Does running ORP counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise, if you wish) count as a "new track" and therefore eligible for double points?

And the biggest question (to my mind) still: Why has TRMP (The Ridge) not shown up as double points on either of the two preliminary 2012 schedules I've seen?

I do not understand how this could be more dangerous...

ORP has only one corner that is of concern, which is # 16 going onto the front straight in the clockwise direction...

Going counter clockwise that hazard is a non issue.

IMO counter clockwise is a more technical course and much more challenging...

You will be flat out and up against the rev limiter half way down the big Hill climb…

I for one am looking forward to trying to set a new track record at ORP in the counter clockwise direction this year….

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro Oregon
ICSCC & SCCA

I've run it ccw at ORP and it was a blast! Can't wait, I would venture to guess that people are going to like it better.

It will be interesting to see if ORP has facilitated operations other than driving of race cars around the circuit.

Since running the course CCW for a trial day, I've had the concern about RACING it that way. What would be turn 2?--the off-camber sweeper at the bottom of the hill--just screams (to me) major offs at the beginning of each race. I guess the other side of the coin is that at least there's no concrete wall to hit.

I do think that the track owners need to do some revision to turn 16 (onto straight, CW). I've seen way, way too many really good drivers lose it there and far too many of them collected damage in the process. Seeing another very experienced driver hit that wall this fall was the clincher, to me--something needs to be done there. (Same weekend, on Friday, a sane, competent driver I've seen at numerous CSCC schools totaled his Mini there.) It's not an issue of whether or not it's challenging--it's an issue of being a very treacherous, unforgiving corner that collects even very experienced, good drivers.

ORP is definitely an interesting, challenging track, but #16 needs some attention (not sure what to do to make the off-camber better for CCW). The work over the years has definitely improved things, but I, for one, would like to see a little more.

BTW what is everyone's fascination with having a double points race? You do realize the potential that has for totally skewing a Championship run. Even if drivers attend a double-points race, random luck can effect them and to drop a double-points weekend means that the competition just inherited an extra race.

If you insist on having double-points races, count them as 2 races in the Championship points tally. (Just for math purposes, not for actual race weekend numbers) If you have to drop that race (it then counts a 2 dropped races mathematically), then you get to keep the equivalent number of "races" as the competition for the Championship.

If you want to see more people doing the championship run, make it more fair, not less.

It's not like any of us are going to say "wow, there's a new track, but it's not double-points, so I'll stay home for it's first race..." Not. We'll be there in droves.

The double points deal has been around a long while for new tracks Karen, which I'm sure you are aware. I don't believe it is in our rule book, but it is a long standing tradition. If it isn't a rule, then it is simply an excepted practice which is up to discussion for those who don't like it or want it. It only happens once in the life of each track, or 2 if ORP does run the other way, so it isn't really a big deal and rarely comes up.

Ding Ding Ding! I absolutely agree with Karen regarding T16.

I don't understand why they didn't design the course to have more of a straight shot from T15 to T1. You either blow your straightaway speed at T16 trying to be safe or go balls out and hope you don't wind up in the wall when it's done.

Last edited:
Well here we go again…

Ask every one that has made contact with a wall, was it a mechanical failure, bad track design or drivers error…

Just how many areas of concern are there on PIR to make hard contact with the walls ????

And on all the other tracks we can enjoy.

I don’t think it is the tracks fault….

Maybe a few mechanical failures….

As for drivers error, I know we are all perfect…

How about a design anomoly? One that is somewhat moot with traffic flow in a counter-clockwise direction.

But for that, another anomoly might exist. And I have personally observed some pretty spectacular 'offs' (DR) on the T15 downhill. No walls, just ruts and rocks. Broken wheel, and a nearly buried SRF. All that before the edges were as well groomed as they are today, so this too may be moot.

It winds up being the same playing field for all of those in the game. It's a matter of those that want to play, and those that feel that the stakes are too high.

For those, please offer solutions. But I am a simple volunteer.

Last edited:
I don't think ORP is oblivious to the anamoly at this complex. That corner has to be softened up. Risk Managers call all these incidents near-misses. I love em in my business. It's the incident with no injury that is a "freebie" to me. Where our team can come up with a control to fix the condition, process, etc. before we lose someone or injure someone.

John writes how many areas are at PIR to make hard contact with? There are, and the one corner that continually ate up cars, and eventually scored some pretty long lasting injuries is Turn 12. That corner continues to be modified year after year, in an effort to improve that anamoly.

ORP is only 2 years old, I believe they must be considering all the data and it is work to be sure you don't trade one risk for another before you act.

John,
My opinion stems from seeing an all-too-steady string of occurrences at the same place, with far too many of the drivers being experienced ones who don't hit things elsewhere, and resulting damage is high. Yes, accidents happen on other tracks, but this one place has a pretty significant record.

Any time you have a place that is that hair-triggered that results in high repair costs, I think that putting some effort into modifying the existing situation is merited. We, as a racing group, have fairly limited budgets, for both money and time, and having to fix a totaled car is a very significant event.

If you want higher entry numbers, look for ways to minimize the number of cars that get put out of commission during races.
I'm not throwing stones here, just looking for improvement. I'd like to see everyone be safer and having more fun racing.

All,

I have communicated with the owners/management team of ORP about the concerns mentioned here in this thread.

Yes! They are trying to address them without creating additional concerns.

I look forward to another fun racing season in 2012.

Happy Holidays!

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC & SCCA

Back