Oct 10/11 Championship Raceweekend

Who Needs Tire Walls?

I remember mentioning that there may be need for tire wall assemby volunteers a few months ago, but that was also before the whole 'dump' licensing and state bureaucratic process was anywhere near completed.

Rob's pretty accurate with the tire wall information. As it has been presented to me some months ago is that the tire wall architecture will be, what they are calling a "quad" configuration and not like the 2-3 bundles that we have at PIR. The bundles at ORP are to be four tootsie roll stacks bolted together like an '88', then banded as a bundle to the other 'quads'. Then it will be up to ORP to maintain the integrity of that wall for the SCCA events.

And if that's what the inspector/reviewer wants, that's what the third-party/SCCA track inspector/reviewer will get if that's what it takes for SCCA to sanction the track.

Of course that bit of design information is only important if you happen to be involved in the subsequent repair of those walls after impact.

The barn de-composition and debris removal had not progressed in the week since it got pushed over, the 'fog' lines, and such had not been painted, and there are some obvious barrier 'tweaking' that was in the plans too.

The time-line pressure is off now. Good, or bad, these elements of completion may now be approached in a more leisure fashion. Perhaps to get everything closer to perfect than they would have been otherwise. :)

It is, no doubt, a good thing that ICSCC has removed itself from the intricate process of the decision making, and stick to shopping for the most applicable insurance for the rule sets that the Conference drivers have developed. I'm sure that's liability enough for any organization.

Last edited:
Back