Novice requirements

bbenthin

NCW #322
Hey gang,

I just completed the IRDC school in July and would like to check off a few novice requirements by volunteering at the "Fast Lap to Fall" race (#12, Sept 26-27) at Pacific.

Who should I get in touch with?

I seem to remember Dave mentioning a handbook that will guide me through the process, but I don't remember the Novice director's name and don't see the position listed on the website.

Just show up at registration and tell the friendly folks in white you'd like to corner (or hot pits) or?. Show up at around 7:30; but definitely before 8.
Do note that most people already have their novice handbook in hand for signoff after the event. If you don't, then have a small piece of paper handy, get a signoff and then paste/staple/JB weld the paper to your novice handbook in the appropriate section when you do get it.

Here are some tips courtesy of our ROD (race officials division) Director
Lynn Rimmer;

"You can register at 7am as a worker and sign the waiver right at registration.
We have coffee and doughnuts in the morning if you need some high test sugar to start your day.

When you get to the pregrid area behind registration just ask for me or Thomas or Scott Ahrens. (If they happen to be absent, please just introduce yourself to someone in white) If there is a certain turn you have trouble getting a handle on as a driver, please ask Thomas or Scott if you can work that turn, and then it gives you the opportunity to watch others and maybe help you out.

Please bring with you, if you have it, a cooler, cold drinks, hat, sunglasses, sunblock, chair, and wear neutral colored clothing (no flag colors). We have to, even in this heat, wear long pants, and fully enclosed shoes (no sandals)."

Tech also appreciates help, especially Saturday morning, they are usually set up along the fence near track exit/paddock entrance at turn 8.

Or/and you could work pre-grid, see the officials there.

Basically, just show up early, introduce yourself where you'd like to help, and have fun.

Thanks guys!

Yup, I've worked corners many times in the past and know the drill.
Happy to help anywhere, but haven't had a chance work grid, tech and such yet.

So Randy, should I see you about a handbook?
Or is the folder I got during the IRDC school it?

I know tech is always very appreciative of assistance during the Saturday morning crush.

I'll have a handbook for you the next time I see you.

Not to put words in Lynn's mouth but if you showed up at 7:45 for the 8am morning meeting at Pacific Racways you'd be there in plenty of time. Morning meeting is held behind the registration building.

Back