Lost Spokane BMW Special Race Video Recovered!

Scott Norton

Epic Win, I push limit
Lost video found, edited and posted.
This is one of my most treasured 30 mins from my first racing season.
Jeff hounded, pushed me to a mistake. It was a great time sweating bullets!
This was my 3rd 30 min race in less then 2 hours in 100+ heat. No cool suit at age 51! Well done Jeff!

Part 1 I take the lead with some aggressive braking and a little bit of top end speed advantage but not much. I learned to draft a bit too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaHK81-OF7s

Part 2 Jeff is right on my tail pushing me into using up my tires. The car is going away but I am powerless to stop it. It starts pushing badly, then becomes extremly loose off the corner. I nearly loose it in turn 2 and scare the daylights out of Jeff as he is right behind me. Not lifting has it's advantages :) or maybe it is just luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFndgIeKEw8

Part 3 My inexperance is starting to show. I am tired and Jeff is all over me. Finally I out brake myself and give Jeff the opening he was waiting for. I try to recover but fall short. However the last lap was the fastest lap of the race by nearly 1 full second. Just goes to show what anger and detremination can do even when the car has gone away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccnLRJjjyMk

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it!

Very good video. I like your pass for 1st going into turn 4. I couldn't believe it, I said, "No way, he's going for it from that far back... holy dive bomb batman!"

But it worked. Good job!

I agree - the confidence under braking at 4 is really outstanding. Did it take you time to get comfortable, or warm your tires? Looked like you were great under braking early, but they were getting off the corners better than you were for the first few laps. As the race progresses though it looks like you are snugged up against them in the corners.

I agree - the confidence under braking at 4 is really outstanding. Did it take you time to get comfortable, or warm your tires? Looked like you were great under braking early, but they were getting off the corners better than you were for the first few laps. As the race progresses though it looks like you are snugged up against them in the corners.

Actually I was on 6 yr old RA1's. I don't wait for them to warm up at all just scrub/brake hard/accelerate hard on the pace lap. They are usually just fine for turn one. I like the Montoya style of getting after it on cold tires. :D Why waste time while everyone is waiting for the tires to come in? I will admit the tires are better for braking early then for corner off acceleration, that seems to take longer to come in.

My car has fantastic brakes at least I think so. They are better than I am..:p as you can see in the 3rd video when I blow the brake zone in T6. My gearing was great for top end but totally wrong for the slow corners which is where the Pro3's were much better than me. But I was better for top speed and thru T10. Everything is a trade off.

I was very aggressive in turn 4 but I knew I had him. I also could see that he knew I was coming. I had passed him in practice twice before very similarly. Pro3's tend to run the wide line there to keep their momentum up, but it sets them up for the inside pass as you can see. Oddly I tried that line (they're line) earlier in the day and it was not productive for me not sure why. But the line I chose for the pass allowed me to carry a lot of speed for the next slight left harder (T5).

I remember thinking wow I am going to pull these Pro3's easily. Sweet maybe I can win this thing. Then I noticed that Jeff was all over me just following me through. I thought damn I need to get going and gap him.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I should have quit worrying about Jeff and just stayed in the middle of the slow corners where he had no room to pass. I had more torque off the corner so as long as I was first out of the corner he could not pass me. Oh well a valuable lesson learned. Now just to apply it. :rolleyes:

Confidance is not something I lack usually except for T5a & b at Pacific. But I fixed that last time there thanks to some constructive coaching. My chief competitor helped me try to beat him. That is what racing with ICSCC is about.

Scott, I remember watching the race from the grassy area by the T4 flag station, it was fun watching you guys dice it out. There was lots of hooting and hollering going on in the crowd. :p

Back