Is a one-day race weekend (Sunday only) permitted?

mikecolangelo

Other obligations are requiring that I won't be able to make it to the Saturday practice and qual sessions for the first two race weekends. I will be able to race on Sunday.

Does anyone know if there are issues with this? Can I register (and pay) for a full race weekend but just show up on Sunday for the qual and race?

Mike-
I don't know of any issues with that. I have did it in the past due to childrens graduation on Saturday. In fact I drove down to Portland Sunday morning, had the car tech inspected with no line and raced that day. If I remember right there were 52 cars in G-2 that weekend and it was alot of fun.
Duane

Now that I think about it a little bit more I believe some miata drivers in the past have missed all of Saturday and Sundays qualifying.Then they started at the back of the grid for the race and still kicked my butt. DM

I elected to miss the events on Saturdays for two years to focus on other objectives. Puts a little more pressure on making sure your car prep and setup are good, and getting a good qualifying lap, but yeah, there is no prohibition against this at all.

You just start at the back with no qualifying time like Randy does! You don't seriously think a club would NOt take your money do ya?

Michael,
I recommend checking in with the registrar so that she knows you'll be late, and arrange ahead of time for either an annual tech or arrange with a steward to look for you Sunday morning for tech. If they know you be there late, then they can plan to be there for you to get you on track.

Michael,
I recommend checking in with the registrar so that she knows you'll be late, and arrange ahead of time for either an annual tech or arrange with a steward to look for you Sunday morning for tech. If they know you be there late, then they can plan to be there for you to get you on track.

Thanks, Karen. Will do.

Mike,

There is no issue with just showing up on Sunday its been done by quite a few drivers over the years. Mac Russell regularly runs just on Sundays.

You should be aware of rule 704 though.

• 704. The Race Steward must approve the eligibility of a driver who fails to complete two laps of practice or qualifying during the race weekend.

So if you miss your Sunday qualifying for some reason be sure to get the Steward's permission before heading down to pregrid.

db

Back