instruction on PIR and PR- suggestions?

djpearce

I am new to the Pro 3 class. I hold a senior license with CACC, but am not familiar with either PIR or PR where I intend to race this year. I don't feel comfortable racing on these courses without having spent a fair bit of time learning the tracks first. Can anyone recommend a good way to get some track time with instruction on these tracks? Are there instructors at the track on the practice days before the weekend races? How about club days - is there a schedule of club practice days? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Duncan Pearce

...... Can anyone recommend a good way to get some track time with instruction on these tracks? Are there instructors at the track on the practice days before the weekend races? How about club days - is there a schedule of club practice days? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Duncan Pearce

Proformance Driving School has "Track Days" at Pacific Raceways. It's not uncommon to see five or eight Pro 3 cars out there doing laps just like day lappers. Guess that's part of why some of the Pro 3 race engines have 160,000 miles on them :) :)

In April (if you look at his schedule) he has an 'intense' 2 day deal for Pro 3 and Spec Miata planned.

http://www.proformanceracingschool.com/schedule?month=jan&yr=2011

ALL of Don's instructors are there on lapping days and you can purchase a session or two with an instructor.

Don't know about Portland but, Don Kitch runs a school down there too. When you call Proformance they can fill you in on the Portland options.

Last edited:
Google earth and youtube.

Look up both tracks on Google Earth so you can get a realistic idea of the track layout, lines etc and then lookup in-car video on youtube such as: "IRDC PR Group5" or PRO3 Pacific Raceways/ PIR"

When I went to ORP for the first time I studied in-car video for hours while holding my steering wheel so I could virtually memorize the track. I paid dividends when I showed up.

All this is free, of course and incredibly helpful. I also recommend getting another PRO3 driver on the phone (preferably the fastest one you can find!) and have him watch the same in-car footage with you simultaneously and discuss the track, the lines, braking points, change in surface, etc and while doing this take notes.

When I did all of this before going to ORP for the first time I found that I ran the first practice session with all my mental notes and then during the 2nd practice session (I had double entered hence 2 practices), I was able to step of the speed and by the 1st qualifying session I was completely comfortable with the track and had already found a few "tricks" to maximize my speed/momentum/traction throughout the lap.

As Eric and Tucker mentioned, Cascade holds a driver training event on Friday before every PIR race weekend and a Saturday event on March 19.
For experienced/faster drivers and racers, we have the Upper HPDE/TestNTune group. You can run in this group and ask to have an instructor there, or run in the Adv. school group where you would normally have an instructor anyway. The cost is around $200, for four 20-minute sessions on-track.
Almost all of our instructors are racers--please specify, though, when entering that you would like a racer-instructor.

Please contact me (GraceRacing99@yahoo.com) or Tracy Klein (current DT organizer, RacerGirl0110@yahoo.com)
with any additional questions.
See CascadeSportCarClub.org for entry info.

As part of our regular IRDC Novice School at Pacific you could take one of two options -

1) Bring a car and sign up for the Novice School and just let your instructor know that you have racing experience and are just learning a new track. I generally get novices up to speed pretty well by the end of the day - an experienced driver should be no problem!

2) We have lapping sessions that run between our novice sessions as well. Usually for at least the first seesion out the instructors will make themselves available to anyone who wants to familiarize themselves with the racing line and then you would have a couple more sessions on your own to work on it a bit. Instructors are often willing to go out with you every session if you ask nice and there are always quite a few guys with tons of local experience and plenty of guys who race your type of car who can show you the preferred line used for that car.

C'mon out! First "IRDC Driver Training" is April 9th - go to motorsports reg and get signed up. I or one of several well qualified instructors would be happy to jump in and get you familiar with our home track.

As Rick mentioned, the best choice to get to know Pacific Raceways is through a school such as the IRDC school on April 9, 2011. Sign-up as a lapper and I can arrange to have an instructor available for you. Registration is easy via motorsportreg.com. The second best option is to sign-up for the 1st Test-N-Tune on the Firday prior to the May race. If I know that you desire an instructor, I can assist you or find you someone, just make a note on your registration.

Dave Bennitt, IRDC Chief Driving Instructor

Hey Duncan,

Sign up for the IRDC School on April 9th and then stay on and maybe help out on a turn for the Enduro.
We will be a little on the skinny side for volunteers as there is a Chumpcar event at Portland and that will keep some of our Portland workers there.
We really could use a hand. Just give me a shout if this is something you could maybe do.

Lynn Rimmer
ICSCC Race Officials Division Director

Back