Info on Spokane Race weekend?

colin_koehler

Great SCOTT!
Maybe I missed all the goodness since I don't have the book of faces but I'm looking for info on Spokane.

What improvements have taken place?
What is this 'short track' race mentioned on the schedule? There's a short track?

Thanks.

We just raced there last weekend with SOVREN. I hadn't been there for 7 or 8 years so I don't remember much about it then. They have removed dirt from inside turn 2 which now allows better visibility of the apex when you enter the corner. It also gives the turn stations visibility of the corner. They have also widened several stretches of the run off areas and added gravel outside of two. The track though is still the same, which is to say a very fun track. We ran for 3 days and had a blast. The Spokane group really knows how to put on a race weekend. There was was a Model T race which I believe drove the short track but I didn't see it. For those that are thinking it, no SOVREN does not have a Model T class.

If you view the track on Google Earth, you will see a left-hand sweeper midway down the straight. I believe that the use of this corner onto the back straight is what constitutes the short course. They sometimes use this for track days to lower top speeds.

I ran there the first few years when IRDC was the hosting club. There was mention then of several configurations that could be used.

Looking at the current Google Earth imaging shows the track in a shorter configuration than I ran. Back then the track entirely encompassed the paddock and hot pits. The hot pits were where the drag racing staging lanes are. The infield was littered with junk cars, trucks and buses. If you went off track most places were littered with basalt boulders big enough to do some serious damage.

The road course had been mostly repaved by some deal made with the paving plant nearby.

It was fast.

It was fun.

Looks like now there is less paddock space, even with all the junk cleared out.

And the course is shorter.

Back