I-5 closure near Olympia next two week-ends

Not knowing that area well, since I'm coming from the North, do you think that it is worth bypassing the entire area and going via Port Orchard way for next weekend's race?

Coming from the south, I usually get off on Trosper Rd., then go west a mile or so, then go north, getting back on the highway to Shelton at Black Lake. That way, I don't get dumped onto the highway in the fast lane hauling a trailer up a steep hill. Easier on me and easier on the folks around me on the highway. How bad the traffic will be backed up for the Ridge weekend is another question. I'll be going up Friday night before the closure.

If the back-ups are 14 miles then those of us coming southbound are screwed. No place to turn off until after Nisqually flats, which may be too late at that point. You could go through Spanaway and behind Ft. Lewis and then through Yelm, which will probably be pretty busy once this news gets out. I might have to go down Friday and find a trailer to sleep in.
Thanks for the heads up.

Not knowing that area well, since I'm coming from the North, do you think that it is worth bypassing the entire area and going via Port Orchard way for next weekend's race?

According to Google Maps, going through Port Orchard adds 21 minutes to the trip vs going through Oly, normal traffic variations notwithstanding. Sounds worth it to me if going when I-5 lanes will be closed. Especially if you're impatient like me and each minute of stop-and-go avoided is worth 2 minutes of smooth sailing.

Going back Sunday could be problematic too for us northbounders, but it looks like getting off 101 at Mud Bay Rd. and continuing east through town to rejoin I-5 at Plum St. would avoid the lane closures. Can any locals advise?

Southbound to Tacoma, you can go 16 (Tacoma Narrows) to 302, then highway 3 to Shelton. It's a two lane road in places and will likely be very busy as the locals will know about the I5 work, but is IS a viable alternate. Google maps says it 1:30 vs 1:09 through Olympia (from Puyallup).

From "up north" - south to Everett, then east on Hwy 2 to Monroe, then south on 203 thru Duval, Carnation, to Fall City, then watch for sign to I 90 - then west a few miles
to Hwy 18 (good way to PR). Does this help?

Robert Barg

Through Gig Harbor and down 3 to the track is the only viable option see from Seattle. Thanks Jim, forgot all about that back road.

From "up north" - south to Everett, then east on Hwy 2 to Monroe, then south on 203 thru Duval, Carnation, to Fall City, then watch for sign to I 90 - then west a few miles
to Hwy 18 (good way to PR). Does this help? Robert Barg

Well, maybe but you end up at I90 and 18. Which is about 69 miles NORTH of where the problem is :)

Your detour would be great for any 405/90 problems near Seattle or Bellevue.

So study your maps. Find new adventure trails to the Ridge.

120 enties this morning.

I think that 17 entries in Grp 3, and 10 in Grp 6 is outstanding.

So who's waiting for the last minute? Or afraid of a bit of traffic.

I still say that the ferry is a nice diversion.

As a 'local' living in the Olympia area, and doing a lot of driving around the 101 interchange, I can tell every one that except for the normal Friday evening trafffic in BOTH directions, there have been NO MAJOR back ups thru the area.

The worst on I saw was Satuday about 3:30pm south bound and it was only 5 miles and speed was 30mph.

Went thru the area about 9:00am this morning and no backups, speed 50mph.

Since this was the first weekend, next weekend should be about the same.

TRANSAM---Your idea would be fine if the problem was in North Seattle-Belluvue going to Spokane, but since this problem is 90+ miles south, you are way off base.

If I was from the north and thought there maybe a big problem, I would go on HY16 to Bremerton and then go south from there. Doing some milage calulation, you only add 5 miles from I5/16 to the Ridge VS I5/101 to the Ridge.

Yea, a little slower because of the two lane, but normally no big hassels.

Good luck and every one have fun and be safe.

Last edited:
Yea, I went to the Ridge on Saturday for a BMW Club event, no problem going down, and even going back on Saturday at 5:00pm saw no slowdown.

Now the state highway through Puyallup was another story... :smile:

Washington ferry rides across any part of Puget Sound are fun. Perhaps not, if it's your daily commute. But it's a boat and you can bring your own sandwich.

A nocturnal crossing from Keystone to Port Townsend was fun. The drive from Anacortes across Deception Pass and through Whidbey around sunset would be brilliant.

But those of us south of the Columbia are stuck with the I-5 bridge to the Ridge , Wes.

It could be that so many people heard about the potential mess that they have refrained from using that area for their normal hustle and bustle. I hope it's as pleasant this weekend.

Back