How many miles on your tow rig? How much is too much?

mikecolangelo

I'm about to pull the trigger on having a reman'd engine installed into my 130k mile 2004 Ford F-150. This is my tow vehicle and all-around errand truck. (Although I seem to be missing all the races this season due to a work assignment on the east coast, but that's another topic)

Anyway, I'm hoping to get at least 200k miles out of this truck. How much is too much for a tow vehicle? I'd rather keep this thing going than buy a newer, used truck (they're not cheap!). I ran the numbers and I think this is the most cost-effective solution. Plus, I like the truck.

So how about you folks?

It works until it stops working. Seriously.

If there's no leaks, misfires, blown seals/gaskets and the power is still there then there is very little to worry about. Just so long as all the maintenance is done and everything checks out I'd keep running it.

My 1996 E150 van has 92k on it and it's already needs some seals changed including the rear main seal ($$ ouch). But I'll tow with it until the shop that does the work on it suggests otherwise.

2001 7700lb F150 4x4 with 5.4l and has 140K and still going, hope not to have to do anything for another 150k-200k. Use it every day for getting to work, no leaks, no issues

If you were running a Dodge I'd say your time was short, but a Ford, Chevy or Toyota shouldn't even be breathing hard until it's 100 K plus. My 2004 Tundra has right at 100,000 and I have yet to do anything to it, but I will change plugs, O&F and air filter before heading to Spokane.

150 K on the old DODGE (Wes) and still running like new. Just got back from SoCal towing 8000 + without a hiccup. Fix the old one and spend the rest on racing! Just remember it has to stay dependable--if you don't get there, you can't race.

We just discussed this the other day with late 90's one tons. A good clean used pick up is hard to come by these days. Maintenance is the priority on any vehicle . I have looked at low mile trucks there were totally beat to death and high mileage ones that I would trust hauling . My 97' Chevy gas 1 ton has 72k on it. I started going through all the mechanicals last year and I am down to changing the tranny and diff fluids. I picked up a 08' Chevy Express AWD last summer that had 170k miles on it and its runs like a top. It was a service vehicle and had been well maintained.

Sorry Doug, but I have had quite a few friends and business associates who have had serious issues with their Dodge trucks. A family member had one not so long ago that had plenty of issues, which is why it's now gone. Probably depends on the year and model which is normal with most vehicles, but it's good to hear yours is serving you well.

Just my 2 cents on the Ford 4.6L, 5.4L, 6.8L (V10) truck motors. I worked for an engine reman facility in Bellingham during college and a little while after. The Ford V8's and V10 were our bread and butter (20 to 25 per day). Seems like most of the truck and RV motors would come in with a big window in the side of the block. The block casting is pretty thin. In my opinion they seem to be a fine motor with no issues... until they have a BIG issue.

We battled warranty issues with rear main seals leaking, but other than that they were usually pretty free of rebuild defects.

I can't compare the Chevy and Dodge V8's because we didn't build them.

Steve, that must be the Jasper facility there. I did a lot of research and Jasper engines seem to have the best rep for replacement Ford 5.4L Triton motors. In fact, today I officially pulled the trigger on having a Jasper reman'd engine installed in my truck. I should get the truck back Friday. Good for another 130k miles! ;) (I hope)

I guess I'm lucky, I was able to drive the truck to the shop with no holes in the engine block!

Sort of. Jasper doesn't own the facility in Bellingham, but they build engines for Jasper (Jasper is their only customer).

If you have any issues with the engine let me know. I've still got some buddies up there.

148k mi on my 2005 4x4f250 superduty 6.0 turbodiesel, and it continues to pull great. I had my first work done recently and that was for the oil cooler replacement(plugged) and I had the egr cooler removed while they were in there. So far has been a great truck and I will own it for as long as it continues to be headache free. I will mention I have run full synthetics in it since I bought it at 100k and only use ford or navistar filters.

Back