Historics weekend coming

Richard Broadhead

Flag & Com
Yup, that time of year for the SOVREN Historics over the 4th of July weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

Case you haven't heard Celebrity Driver this year is Augie Pabst!! Colorful carreer (he and his son still run a prep shop in addition to being a retired exec from the brewery). But I remember him most for driving the Miester Brauser Scarab.. Ohhh, what a car in its day. And, he still owns and Vintage races (in the midwest) the one he raced as a team mate of Lance Raventlow!

But he won't be driving the Scarab this weekend. Rather, an EQUALLY RARE car that he raced in the early 1960's. One of only THREE built, the Lola MK6 owned by Mecom racing at the time he ran it. And the last time he ran this car back then, he put it in to the Armco at Riverside :( Now he gets another chance to do it right.

The car was rebuilt after Riverside then starting in 1988 it ended up in a German museum for many years. I believe it sold to its current owner at the Goodwood auction in 2006 for $694,000! What a car to see in the Northwest!

LOLA MK6:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1964/Sebring-1964-03-21-020.jpg

For those who don't know the history:
When Ferrari told Ford to "stuff it", no way you're buying Ferrari. Ford purchased the Lola MK6 from Eric Broadley as a way to enter big time sports car racing and took over the Lola factory mainly because the MK6 already used a big bore Ford V8. When you look at the photo above, you can clearly see the lineage from MK6 to GT-40. Ford used the MK6 as 'test mules' for the development of the GT-40. Eventually, they sold it back to Broadley.

Those who attended the BMW lapping day this past week got a sneak peek at the Lola. VRM had it out for a couple of test sessions getting ready for the Historics. I'm not sure if it has a Chevy or a Ford in it now. Original 2 cars were Fords but Mecom raced it with a Chevy engine due to conflicts with Ford at the time. Either way it just looks and sounds GREAT! Capable of 180 MPH but I doubt Augie will be testing that limit!

VRM also had a very rare BMW 3.5CSL prepared by Vasek Polak for IMSA GT. Oh my was it fast. Sadly, we won't see it at the Historics. 1974 car (but it probably quals as a Exhibition Class). Raced by Hans Stuck and Sam Posey at various times. It's owned by a guy in Melbourne, Australia who only comes up to race it at Monteray.. sigh.

BMW 3.5CSL as at Pacific:
http://bringatrailer.com/2007/08/22/74-bmw-35csl-vasek-polak-lemans-finisher/

Hey, Rich Wexler, as usual, is looking for corner workers! Come on out and see some really great old cars from a corner station AND enjoy the BIG FEED Saturday night along with the silent auction. I'm guessing Jackson-Dean will have the Frisbee and the Shadow F1 car out to challenge Dimmer in the Tyrrell F1 car.

Last edited:
Sorry , we have our own 3 day weekend coming up for PIR.

Yup, your SCCA Double National. I'll be thinking of you Saturday night with hot dogs and hamburgers when I sit down to my Salmon and roast beef :)

THAT is why we need ALL the help we can find locally for the SOVREN 3 day. If you have even one day come on out and work!

Gail, Keep an eye on those 7 FB boys you've got down there. GOOD drivers and ohhh.. so fast!

Last edited:
I'll be at the Portland Historics with my bosses 1966 427 Corvette!

We'd be up in Seattle this weekend but we blew our tire budget on building a new engine for our American Sedan!

You're never too old to catch the racing BUG!

Well, today was IROE day at the Historics. As some may know, it's the day Phil Smart brings out 10 new Mercedes and 10 people make a sizable donation to Children's Hospital to learn how to drive them with instructors. Then get high speed 'demo' rides for Parker Johnstone, Dominic Dobson and the Celebrity Driver Augie Pabst.

BUT the REAL STORY was one particular individual who decided he wanted to learn how to drive cars FAST! Gotta go in to the "Great way to wind down toward the end". He was out in track with his instructor at the very tender age of NINETY-SIX !!!! Did okay for himself then got out of the car with the aide of his walker.. geez.

He also happens to the the OLDEST person to ever go through flight school and do his 1st solo flight at 91... 2nd geez!

Other news from the Historics:
I think a new 'battle' is beginning. Jackson Dean (the Frisbee & Shadow F1 master) now has a new to them (or at least to us seeing it) 427 Corvette in a beautiful livery to run in the GT groups against John Goodman !!

To counter that John Goodman (the big bore Corvette master) now has a Jacky Ickx F1 FERRARI to run with the Exhibition class against Miles Jackson !!

Turning in to a good weekend of Historics.

Last edited:
Back