Has anyone ever gone to 24 hrs of Le Mans or is anyone going this year?

I am going to be in Europe at the same time the 24 hours of Le Mans is being held and was wondering if anyone on here has ever gone? What was your experience like? Did you camp out, stay in hotels, or were you working for a team? I'm planning on being in Europe for 21-24 days and would love your input if you think the 3-4 days at Le Mans would be worth it. Thanks for your input.

I went to Le Mans in 2002 to watch a couple of buddies on the factory Corvette team race. I highly recommend going to this event! Try to get there early to see the drivers' parade through town and then settle in for an incredible endurance event. I don't believe that seats really matter here, because this track is so huge with so many different vantage points that you can see simply by walking around. I never used my rather expensive grandstand seats! As for camping, if you can arrange for this, it could be the way to go. I had a hotel room an hour south of the track that I grabbed a few hours of sleep at in the early morning hours, but I very well could have been the only person to leave the track. The parking lots remained full the entire race.

The overall experience was unbelievable! I must go again sometime to see the many things that I missed the first time.

It's been quite a few years since my last visit to the 24 Hours ('88 & '97) but I thought I might add some suggestions for you. Be sure and bring a small personal radio or headset so you can follow the action on Radio LeMans. They broadcast in English all week. If you can get there early, they have scrutineering on Monday and Tuesday before the race in the parking lot of the Place de Jacobins Mall in downtown LeMans. The teams come in at their appointed time and go through the extensive tech inspection. Best of all, it FREE to the public and you can get some great shots of the cars as they're pushed past - even the undersides when they're put on the lift. I spent a whole day there while the wife shopped and toured (theres an old Cathedral just across the street). Qualifying is later in the week and runs till ~Midnight. There's a nice museum across from the main entrance and a tunnel under the track from there that leads to "The Village" behind the Paddock where vendors and manufacturers set up shop. Food is great anywhere around the track. Both times we parked in the lot across from the entrance near the Ford Chicane. You can walk from the Porsche curves, past the pits, the Esses on down to Tertre Rouge. To view from the Mulsanne, Arnage or Indianapolis, you'll probably have to drive to the other side of the circuit. In '88 I saw buses that went from the front staight around to Arnage but I don't recall seeing them in '97. There's lots of campgrounds but both times I just stayed up the entire 24 Hours. My wife stayed in the car when she needed to rest. As far as I'm concerned, there's no race in the World that can compare with LeMans - enjoy!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have decided attend the race! I wish I could go to tech and be there for the week but it is just not an option for me. I'm graduating on the 16th and landing in Paris the morning of the 19th. Saturday morning I will be taking a train out to Le Mans and pulling an all-nighter!

Good for you, Tim! I guarantee that you will have a memorable experience! A few things to remember in your backpack: binoculars, poncho, pad to sit/lie on, food and drinks. Everyone wants to go to the back straights during the night, and for good reason. The chicanes are spectacular viewing sites. This is a town, though, so you aren't looking for grandstands or a good landmark. Ask around for a good shuttle and then follow the crowd as they go on paths, around buildings, through trees looking for the good spots to see the electrifying braking zones into the chicanes. Make sure you know how to get back on the shuttle, because it's a LONG walk. Also, check out the ferris wheel at night. It's a cool place to see much of the course in a unique way.

Post up some photos when you return, okay?

Im going to Paris & parts of Germany in May and there is a Moto GP race at Le Mans that I am thinking about going to as well. Its a lower priority as I will be driving the Nurburgring. I definitely will be doing this as well. I am looking forward to pics

Back