Group 3 & 6 Rose City Opener

blandt

OW Racer
To all group 3 & 6 drivers,

Someone had to be the first to commit so I went ahead entered. Who else is planning to enter? Hopefully we can get a good turn out.

Tim Bland
84 Anson SA4
Gresham, OR

I am missing both a radiator and the $$ to go with it, but I will be there working a turn. Thanks for the post, we need more of this from our OW bretheren.

We are planning on attending. Team guys are working for days off this week. We run in FA. Can you tell me the decibel limit please?

Per ICSCC Regulations~~

"E/C 1112. Noise Emissions. All cars shall be equipped with a functioning exhaust
silencing system and unless prohibited by supplemental regulations shall
meet a noise level not to exceed 103 decibels measured at 50 feet from
the hard edge of the track and/or artificial markers indicating track edge
nearest to the sound meter. The Noise Control Officer shall have the
responsibility of notifying the Race Steward of violators for the purpose of
black flagging (meatball flag) and/or disqualification. Any car found to be
over the limit during practice or qualifying shall be corrected before being
allowed to race. The ICSCC noise meter shall be the official noise meter.
A. Noise meter readings taken during a race shall only be taken from
positions which were previously monitored during the weekend,
i.e.: during practice and qualifying.
B. The car numbers of all cars exceeding 98 db on Saturday and
Sunday practice and qualifying are to be posted along with the
qualifying times.
Muffler systems will be checked during technical inspection and
only vehicles with well maintained mufflers will be allowed to
compete. Formula Vees with a 4 into 1 header system will not be
required to have a muffler, but still be below 103 decibels. A turbo
charger is an approved muffler."

I have listed the noise information below. What are you running as a Formula Atlantic Car?

Taken from the CSCC 2012 Supplemental Rules. Posted online

14.Noise rule ICSCC 1112 enforced! 103 dB at 50 ft.: no exceptions!
15. Oregon State Law requires functioning mufflers to be used at PIR. Functioning mufflers must be capable of reducing sound energy by
at least 5dB at trackside. Cars losing mufflers, even if they are still below the sound level, will be black-flagged immediately.

Tim Bland
84 Anson SA4

At PIR, not only must you meet the 103 dB regulation BUT you are also REQUIRED to have a 'muffler'.

Yeah, some cars can meet 103 dB without a muffler but at PIR you still MUST have one.

It's the odd way they wrote the track regs. Unless, they've rewritten them.

Oregon State law requires a muffler on the car. The same law applies to ORP. Gotta car? Gotta have a muffler. Washington, not so much.

Hmmm.. I seriously doubt the SCCA FV guys put mufflers on their cars for PIR.. Is that a conference thing only?

Mufflers on ALL cars. Or they get pulled off. SCCA, ICSCC, PCA...etc. It's the law. DEQ noise restrictions are one thing. DEQ emissions (including a functional muffling system) another.

You'll see mufflers on SRF at PIR but not at Pacific Raceways.

Formula Vee is either exempt or they count the collector as a muffler. There is no such thing as a muffler on a FV.

This explains it: (From rule 1112)
Muffler systems will be checked during technical inspection and
only vehicles with well maintained mufflers will be allowed to
compete. Formula Vees with a 4 into 1 header system will not be
required to have a muffler, but still be below 103 decibels
A turbo
charger is an approved muffler.

That wording should be clarified though. Most of us run 4-2-1 collectors. I can see an over zealous tech inspection in my mind. :)

Just a reminder
1306.B.1, Formula Atlantic will meet 2009 SCCA GCR Formula Atlantic preperation rules. All cars will have a minimum weight of 1230 lbs. w/driver. Some cars entered in the past have not met specs. If you meet the Atlantic spec you might be able to also run in the Libre class and run both G3 and G6.

My car meets the SCCA FA 2010 specs but not 2009 or 2011 (thank you, SCCA, for screwing it all up). It's almost 30 years old, it's not carbon, has no sequential gearbox, it weighs more than 1300#. Would you protest?

To all group 3 & 6 drivers,

Someone had to be the first to commit so I went ahead entered. Who else is planning to enter? Hopefully we can get a good turn out.

Tim Bland
84 Anson SA4
Gresham, OR

I'll be there also, as a corner worker, I'm also saving money up for my first race entry..which will probably be at pacific.

My car meets the SCCA FA 2010 specs but not 2009 or 2011 (thank you, SCCA, for screwing it all up). It's almost 30 years old, it's not carbon, has no sequential gearbox, it weighs more than 1300#. Would you protest?

If the metrics of your car are inferior to the defined limits of the rules, why anyone would protest is beyond me. I'd much rather have someone to race with. Unless of course you can't handle getting beaten by inferior equipment I guess.

Tim,

I would like to see you at the track and no protests coming from me. I would like to to see more OW cars out on the track. Your right regarding SCCA messing up the FA class.

Tim Bland
84 Anson SA4 Super Vee running as a F/A

Back