COMPETITION LICENSE AND MEDICAL FORMS ARE AVAILABLE NOW

Kartracer

The forms for Competition License, Medical History and Physical Exam are not available on the website! I see that the 2019 date is still on the forms. I tried to download the Physical Exam form today to take with me for my yearly eye exam to no avail. My physical is scheduled for the 15th of January and it would be nice to have the form.

There are a few pending procedural changes that could effect the 2020 forms. These changes will be decided upon this weekend at the “spring” meeting and the new forms should follow shortly afterwards. Stay tuned!

Yep - there is the potential for a bit more change in our forms than usual so we took the 2019 versions down for a very important yet simple reason;

They are 2019 forms and it is 2020. Last year the license registrar received far too many 2018 forms with the date crossed off and 2019 written on them. Those forms had incorrect instructions and the wrong license fee on them which led to unnecessary problems. Conference forms have gotten final approval at the Spring Meeting (January 11th this year) for a long time. Hang in there and we will get them up as soon as it is practical.

May I ask what changes are going to be in the physical form so that I may ask my Dr. to do during the physical. This appointment took 2 months to schedule. I may impose on him to fill out the form after the fact if all that is required is done during the appointment.
Thank you, John.

The spring meeting has concluded and there will not be any significant changes to the forms but keep in mind that the 2020 forms are what must be used for license submittal. They should be available very shortly.

Given that our licenses officially expire on 12/31/2019, I think it is very poor procedure on the part of ICSCC not to have final 2020 forms by the beginning of December 2019. I typically schedule my exams for December, since in January I may have different health care providers based on my choices of new year health care options/packages. That means getting a physical exam in a timely manner early in the year can be difficult. To further complicate matters none of my medical doctors will do th vision portion of the exam, so I have to schedule vision exam, and then follow with physician exam. Having to do both exams really makes a racing license cost appproxiamtely 300-400 dollars for the medical exams necessary, and that is before the conference license fee. That is more than a full weekend entry just to get a license. That can't possibly be good for encouraging new drivers to join conference ranks.

I agree with KB-1and have the same issues. There are other race venues that we can enter that only require a valid state drivers license. I have a valid drivers license that allows me to drive any of our 18 wheel semi-trucks on our Hiways, yet I have to spend the time and money to hold a conference license?

I agree with KB-1and have the same issues. There are other race venues that we can enter that only require a valid state drivers license. I have a valid drivers license that allows me to drive any of our 18 wheel semi-trucks on our Hiways, yet I have to spend the time and money to hold a conference license?
If you have the DOT physical required to legally operate a commercial 18 wheel truck and trailer combo on public roads it is very compatible with our racing physical and I have reviewed and approved those in the past. If you have a military or pilots physical we have reviewed those and accepted them as well. If you have a physical on another sanctioning body's form like the SCCA, I have reviewed those and accepted them. Until we dot all the i's and cross all the t's for the potential removal of the doctor's physical examination requirement to obtain a competition license I am pretty much required to adhere to the rules the drivers and their representatives WROTE AND ENACTED UPON THEMSELVES. I am more than happy to try to find solutions to just about any problem someone from Conference brings me as long as it is in keeping with the rules that govern what I am allowed and not allowed to do. I have consistently tried my best to be as inclusive as I possibly can i every Conference position that I have held and don't want anyone to be excluded if there is a legal solution.

Just so it is abundantly clear - when drivers are criticizing "ICSCC" who do they think they are really talking about? If you are a licensed ICSCC driver, you are talking about yourself. The International Conference of Sports Car Clubs is an organization that has rules made "by drivers, for drivers". There is no evil genius sitting in a darkened office somewhere wringing their hands and snickering evilly about how they have been able to steal the happiness of Conference racers. Conference and it's member clubs are run by people who really pretty much just wanted to race but stepped up to volunteer their time and effort to help preserve amateur sports car racing in the Northwest for their fellow and future drivers who, for a variety of reasons, either can't or won't. I can assure you that I sat in two all day meetings in the last 3 months where 20+ dedicated volunteers who gave up their own time and often cost themselves money, worked hard on ALL driver's behalf trying to find the best possible solutions to Conference problems while streamlining what we already do well to make it even better. Sometimes the size or the complexity of the task at hand requires more resources or time than we have available and we fall short of what we wanted to achieve at that meeting. It doesn't mean we forget it, it just moves forward until we can get it done.

The ICSCC and its member clubs are not businesses and those of you who are reading this are definitely not "customers". The only way the ICSCC is able to continue scheduling events and attempting to meet it's members needs is through the sacrifice of exceptional people who are willing to apply their considerable talents VOLUNTARILY to preserve the organization - not one of them is a paid employee. If you feel strongly about something you want to change in Conference there are multiple paths to achieve your goals. Any driver can write a rule, discuss it with their friends to build support and further refine it, and submit it through their club at the rules meeting in the Fall. From there it goes to the Contest Board meeting and the Executive Board meeting for adoption. Alternately, with certain kinds of ideas you can work with your club and have your E-Board rep introduce it as an agenda item directly to the Fall or Spring meeting. Yet another way is to convince the Steward that your idea is a good one because he is the only single person entity allowed to introduce a rule into the rule change process.

What I am saying is if you don't like the way things work it is YOUR responsibility to either get to work solving the problem or talk someone else into solving it for you through several available avenues. Next time you feel like criticizing "ICSCC" you might want to consider whether you are criticizing yourself or some altruistic sucker who is volunteering his time on your behalf in an attempt to make Conference work the way it's members want. Neither of those seem very reasonable or productive. Conference and the member clubs are suffering shortages of volunteers willing to work for the good of the membership in almost all areas. I personally have been willing to volunteer a tremendous amount of time, effort, and money because I find it fulfilling to support an organization that has given me years of exceptional experiences and lifelong friends. Over the years I have volunteered to be a driving instructor, worked on volunteer track maintenance crews, been a tech inspector, club Vice President, President, club Driving Master, ICSCC Steward, and now ICSCC President and there are a lot of people who have contributed more than I have! Does criticism help retain those people? Does it make it easier to get new ones to serve? If just a few people who have contributed 100s of hours decide that being berated for volunteering to help decide they "just want to be drivers", ICSCC could easily cease to exist. I welcome constructive discussion, good ideas, and offers to help but maybe we should temper our dissatisfaction towards people just trying their best to do your bidding.

Sorry about the rant but maybe look at the glass as half full and don't beat the dog for bringing you the wrong slippers.

Rick - We are customers. We spend money suppporting ICSCCC and both John and I have extensively volunteered our time to help ICSCC remain strong and to put on ICSCC events. It bothers me that you think otherwise. And that you choose to try to admonish us for making what seem like reasonable suggestions.

Organizations can always improve to be more responsive to their members and customer needs. And one way to do that is to listen thoughtfully and not criticize such suggestions.

Kevin Smith
ICSCC license #1003 (in 2019)

Mr Bostrom, yes you have a faster race car than me. I am just a dirt farmer scratching out a living farming. We to have also volunteered a lot of time, donated hours with my heavy equipment work and donated money to support the race clubs in Oregon. With all due respect it is not appreciated to scold me for having an opinion. We do appreciate all that YOU do for our need for speed.

ICSCC has a world class Novice program, and to encourage more drivers the join our clubs we must make it easier and less expensive to participate in our sport. I see one day events becoming more attractive to a lot of people. Driver Training, Track days and Time Trials are becoming very popular one day events.

Reducing the cost of track rental, insurance, club and conference fees would be how we can lower our costs for our customers and encourage new drivers to come join us. Clubs can only survive by at least breaking even on our expense’s rather than loosing funds on a Race or track day weekend.

We look forward to sharing the track with you!

Soooo, also wondering if anyone knows about club memberships. I went to the IRDC site just now and there is no way to renew club membership which is of course required to renew a racing license.

The rest of the forms are just about ready from what I've heard. Give it until Sunday or Monday and the License Application and Self Medical form should be posted. The Enduro License Application won't be available until later in February.

Thanks for your patience.

Back