FIFA vs. NASCAR

I dropped by my local pub yesterday and asked the bartender to put on the Nascar race for me. Two highly developed yellow toothed academics to my right said, "why bother, it's a road race and isn't worth watching.." I said, "could you go sit somewhere else cause you're totally clueless." So they did! And they actually watched soccer...
Turning left 500 times - boring. Watching them try to run a road course - priceless!

....Turning left 500 times - boring. Watching them try to run a road course - priceless!

Did you see the Nationwide cars at Road America on Saturday, Wes? That was 'almost' GOOD! I only saw the last 12 laps or so but by that time ALL the body work was beat up and they were still spinning each other out at about every 4th corner.

The best part was watching Jacques Villeneuve take the lead in the last laps but then loss when his battery voltage dropped too low :( .. sigh

I tried to find that race Rich, but I never figured out which channel it was on. It is on again Thursday am and I've arranged my schedule so I can watch it, or least part of it. I know Jacques started on the front row, and did lead for awhile, but I heard he had car issues and faded at the end. I did see a video clip of some bozo knocking him off track at T5 late in the event, and apparently he had front end damage as well, but he still went from like 12th to the lead in less than a lap after a late race restart.

... but I heard he had car issues and faded at the end.....

Car started missing like crazy with about 3 laps to go. Those who should know said it sounded like the battery voltage had dropped too low. Maybe he had alternator damage early on.

..... I did see a video clip of some bozo knocking him off track at T5 late in the event......

Yes, T-5 seemed to be the most favoritest place to do the 'push um out of the way' deal.... lol

T5 was very busy last year at the 40th reunion with 117 Fords charging down there at the start. A few guys either outbraked themselves or were helped off track, but it is a very cool corner for sure. It's such a long run down to that corner that the speeds are high and the road of course drops off in the braking area, and you go from 4th to 1st while braking. I tried the curb on drivers right coming out, and that was a no-no in an OW car! Probably okay in a stock car, but the alligators are tall on most of the corners.
There are some cool on board vids on Youtube of all types of cars there, and T5 is one of the most entertaining spots on the track. What got me the first trime thru there in the actual race was the hundreds of spectators, and the mass of color all around that corner. Took me by suprise since I've never experienced that before!
What channel was the race on Saturday?

Was on ESPN2 I think... Just sorta stumbled on to it which is why I only saw the last 13 to 15 laps.

Never been to Road America (in the future I hope).

But have raced it in SIM's. T-5 seems like great fun coming down the hill and in to that 90 degree left. Always tricky at least in SIM's to get the braking point and turn in right. Then immediately have to deal with the up hill blind apex T-6 under the bridge. Always enjoyed T-13 and T-13A after Canada Corner. Could make up some ground through there if you got it right.

Must have been a blast for you guys to run there!

Last edited:
It has a rthym that you don't find in any of the NW tracks, and of course the length is pretty impressive. The only part of the track that is scary is the kink. It is far more intimidating in person than it is on TV for sure. That was the main topic between drivers the first day out, and everyone wanted to know who went thru there flat. I didn't do that until day 2 with fresh rubber, and even then it is a bit uncomfortable with all the clag built up on drivers left and that wall less than 15 feet away. If you miss the apex you have no choice but to keep your foot planted or you become an instant pinball!

...... The only part of the track that is scary is the kink. It is far more intimidating in person than it is on TV for sure. That was the main topic between drivers the first day out, and everyone wanted to know who went thru there flat. I didn't do that until day 2 with fresh rubber, and even then it is a bit uncomfortable with all the clag built up on drivers left and that wall less than 15 feet away. If you miss the apex you have no choice but to keep your foot planted or you become an instant pinball!

Yes, you miss the sensation of "The Kink" in a SIM for sure. Although you gotta use all the track, it misses the 'pucker factor' on the computer screen.

The Kink is ALWAYS a topic of dicussion at Road America. FC's are just a touch faster then FF's through there and the question is always, 'What fool will try going through the kink side-by-side and cause the BIG ONE"?

Everybody wondered if the NASCAR guys would use the kink or put the motorcycle chicane in for their race. But they did use it.

The thing that got me when going through the Kink was, even if you weren't aware of its reputation on a slow drive around, it was blantantly obvious from all the tire marks on the walls on both sides that "this is a Very Dangerous bit".

... it was blantantly obvious from all the tire marks on the walls on both sides that "this is a Very Dangerous bit".

Don't know if it was the June Sprints last year or the runoffs. Dangerous yes, expecially for open wheel cars. Just cannot go through there side-by-side but somebody always trys. Huge mess there in the FC race.

Matter of fact THIS WEEKEND is the June Sprints! Will be interesting but I'm disappointed that none of our west coast FB guys went back to take on the midwesterners... :( Kyle Oberndorf went back there 2 years ago and WON the race but was DQ'd along with several other Stohr's for having rear wings 0.125 inches too wide. Manufacturing error. Don't cha love the SCCA? lol. 3000 plus mile round trip tow and get DQ'd for something that should have been caught at tech inspection for a big race like that.

Back