FF drivers ALERT!

It's only illegal if you get caught. I've made several CF wing end plates for an un-named individual. Not that anybody ever cheats! LOL!

Just think of all those front running Ford engines that will become available to the CF guys when they upgrade to the FIT!

Yes, but only if they have the $8k or so to do it. Most folks are on a pretty tight budget just now. I hope the FIT doesn't git too far personally.

The FIT in FF will go the same route as the Zetec in FC.

Zetec was introduced so people could race 8,000 to 10,000 miles between rebuilds (costing $3,600). Power controlled to (more or less) match the Pinto by a restrictor plate and 'controlled' ECU map. That lasted about 2 years then.....

They gave the Zetec a new ECU map (increased the low end response on the theory that they were running too lean), the Pinto got an aluminum head and lightened flywheel but NOTHING to increase the life of the engine such as pistons/rods. (readily available). The Zetec is still capable for running 8 to 10K miles with no rebuilds and a Pinto still goes back on the bench at about 1,500 miles (costing $3,000 to $5,000 depending upon parts needed). Geez

That is the scenario you will see with the FIT versus Kent.

With test & tune (4 to 5 days with massive quantity of track time) in the Pro F2000 series (big deal on the east coast not so big out here), you can literally wear a Pinto to the point of rebuild in ONE race weekend!

Last edited:
There are good parts available for The pintos to Richard. I'm sure you have definitly done your research on this but we just picked up a new Lump from Ivey for the Argo and it is said to be good for 50-60+ hours. Seems pretty comparable to the 1600 with the good forged parts.

Yes indeed, Stuart.

There are some good items available for the Pinto. Did you stay steel head and new cam or go aluminum head? I assume you went with the lightened flywheel? :biggrin:

The biggest single weakness in the Pinto is not the head or lower end. The thing that adds the most cost to rebuilds is resleeving (when needed). Gotta have a dead stock bore you know. So once you've worn the bores, resleeve.

HOWEVER, if they were allowed you could use the Wisco pistons and 5.7 inch rods (NO change in displacement or increase in power). But the shorter piston and longer rod would reduce cylinder bore wear and actually increase time between rebuilds too. Legal in FL but not FC :mad:

Ivey is saying 50 to 60 hours? Seems like a lot. That's about 33 to 40 ICSCC race weekends (about 1.5 hours per weekend) or about 4,200 to 5,200 miles!.. Hmm.

Everybody I've talked to or read about the Pinto says a "good" national level HP output Pinto will give good power to somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 miles (with a head refresh at 800 to 900) or, about 15 ICSCC race weekends.

The SOVREN S2 guys that do their own engines 'close' to the original factory clearances (giving up some HP) are getting 3 to 4 years out of them but that's a shorter schedule then ICSCC too.

Last edited:
I have 2 and a half seasons on my Ivey motor, which is probably 21 race week-ends. That equates to around 27 hours give or take, and she's still strong and not giving up much in straight line speed. My last rebuild in early 07' was an economy build which Jay said would be dependable for 3 seasons, but not real quick. Turns out it made the time frame and is pretty quick, so I'm happy with the Kent and not at all interested in the Fit conversion for our class. I need to upgrade the pistons and crank, but if I can't do that this year I'll just keep running as is.
We just returned from Daytona so I'm not up on the latest at Apex, but I'll catch up this evening.

Last edited:
Engine life

I my experience the driver has as much to do with engine life as anything. I the past we were getting over 40 hours out of the old package without the new crank and pistons and only freshening the head about once a year. The new package with will go who nows how long.......its all about the down shifts and being smooth. But like anything new the FIT will probably end up faster just too much potential to fiddle with electronics ect.

...... the FIT will probably end up faster just too much potential to fiddle with electronics ect.

I think that's a good guess over the next 3 to 4 years. Honda is NOT making this massive investment in amateur club racing to come in 2nd best!

There is one other factor about this. Honda, over the long haul may have visions of bringing FFit back in to the ranks of SCCA PRO racing running with some other Pro group so they get more exposure. That would for sure be good for FF.

When I heard the kent blocks were gone I about sh-t, I used to use them to hold sheet metal down on the way to dump, sold a lotus cortina engine after damaging the head for $50. when all this first came about I thought "why not use the 2300, there still a dime a dozen to this day in every wrecking yard, ranger pu, pinto, mustang ect.

LOL, considering what Esslinger can get out of a 2300 block that would be GREAT FUN! and reliable. But then they can build 200 HP Pinto 2.0 liters too.

Yup, Kent/Cortina blocks are very, very rare. Worth about $2,500 to $3,000 at the moment (just the laying around ones) but now I think you'd have a hard time finding a buyer outside the Vintage racers. Once FORD starts the new production run that shortage will vanish and the price looks like it will be very reasonable on the new block.

Back