Ever wonder...

With no-lift upshift and auto blipper downshift ( now available at the club level for motorcycle powered cars) you can shift as fast as your fingers will hit the buttons or move the paddle.

Whew, I'm sure glad my car is neither that fast, not that bumpy cause if it was my lunch would be in my balaclava pretty quickly!

Whew, I'm sure glad my car is neither that fast, not that bumpy cause if it was my lunch would be in my balaclava pretty quickly!

You NOTICED that Wes? LOL

That's what happens when you have "suspension" that doesn't really move. But, it is rather 'swift' to say the least.

LOVE the road edge to road edge sweepers at 180 MPH!! I've noticed it on several F1 videos lately. it actually sounds like they are geared to reach max speed 'far' before the end of some straights and have to 'feather' the throttle. I don't get it.

Of course the engines only operate between 16,000 and 18,000 RPM which doesn't give you a lot of 'play' even with 7 gears. Wonder when they'll go to 10 speed boxes?

Last edited:
Richard, I think part of it is, in Vettel's case, that he probably isn't expecting to use the DRS much during the race. So they're gearing the car so he hits the limiter at the end of the straight WITHOUT the DRS. In qualifying, he'll use the DRS and hit the limiter sooner, but he's still fast enough elsewhere to make up for any lost speed.. Also, in this case, he can use the DRS a lot sooner and for much longer in qualifying than he would in the race, so he's entering the straight faster than he normally would in racing conditions ;)

you can see in Vettle's video the first lap he did not use the DRS and topped out around 282 kph while most of the rest of the laps he had the DRS activated almost ever acceleration zone and was topping out around 306kph on the front straight

They are also gearing it for a heavier fuel load for 80% of the race than what he has in Qualifying.

Back