Drivers Spotlight Interview | April 2014

austinrotaryracer41

Bradshaw Motorsports
Hi Everyone,
I've started a new thing for 2014! It's called Drivers Spotlight! Featuring all of the racers of ICSCC! Please feel free to check out the other three months so far this year on my website at: http://flyingbyephoto.fotomerchant.com/drivers-spotlight

But here it is for the month of April!!!
Drivers Spotlight Best.jpg

Drivers Spotlight April: Article #4
1017752_10201972891745871_8354974772451994325_n.jpg
April: Emily Smith Thanks Emily, for being the 4th ever Drivers Spotlight!

Welcome to Drivers Spotlight 2014! Flying Bye Photo is proud to present this new and great idea for 2014! We hope you enjoy learning more and more about the drivers you race with door to door with during ICSCC Race weekends! The way this works is every month, I take one driver, and interview them, asking them questions about their motorsports background as well as their car! Hope you enjoy it!

This month’s driver: Emily Smith
Emily is an up and coming star to the world of ICSCC Racing in the Spec Miata Class! She just got done winning her 2nd ever ICSCC race, at the Rose City Opener! This was a big accomplishment for her, because this is only her second year in racing!!! The 22 year old has grown up crewing for her Dad’s '67 Terlingua Mustang out at PIR Vintage race weekends. Her goal is to be a top Spec Miata driver and to improve her skills!

Here are some questions we asked her about her and her car:
1. FB-What's your favorite part about racing a Spec Miata?

Emily: My favorite part of racing Spec Miata is the fact that there's competition at every skill level. Whether you're just starting out like me or you've been driving for years, there will be someone on the track with you who's at your level. You always have a race. The drivers in SM are also amazing. They want to see everyone in their group succeed and they'd do almost anything to help you get better, from donating parts to donating time and information. I love them.

2. FB- What's it feel like to have just one your 2nd ever SM race!?

Emily- Winning in just my 2nd SM race was... amazing. And ironic. I'm not a fan of rain racing but if it hadn't rained that day, I wouldn't have won. My dad, CSCC Race Chairman Mike Smith, decided to put on rain tires with just about 10 minutes left on grid. I had to give up my 11th place starting spot and start last. I went off on the 2nd lap, the tire tracks are probably still in 11 lol. To come back from all that was pretty damn cool. The only bad thing is now I have A LOT to live up to! No slacking for this girl.

3. FB- When did you first say to yourself "I want to race"?

Emily- I first decided I wanted to drive when I was about 16. My parents have been dragging my two older sisters and I to PIR for the Portland Historic Races since we were babies. And while all 3 of us girls loved to watch, I was the one who REALLY took an interest in the sport. When my dad started racing I was his crew. Then I did a few gokart racing camps during the summer and the need for speed just sort of stuck. Once you get the bug you're pretty much doomed to spend all your money on racing for the rest of your life!

4. FB- What's the history of your car?

Emily- My car belonged to Mike Tripp for a while. Before that I'm not really sure, to be honest. It's been race prepared for a while. Other than a new tranny my dad and I just put in, the car I drive now is the same car we bought in 2012. She's a solid little race car.

5. FB- Being an up and coming racer, what do you hope to achieve in the world of motorsports?

Emily- I think every driver dreams of getting some awesome sponsor and making it big in a pro series. At least that's what I DREAM about. But I keep my goals realistic. For now, I just want to be a competitive name in SM. You know, when people look at a line up they'll see Emily Smith and tell their friends 'watch out for her, she's good'. If I go out every weekend and give it all I got, I KNOW I can get to that point. And it might sound silly, but that's really motivating to me. A win is great and it put me on cloud 9, but it means nothing if you can't back it up. I have a lot of work to do if I want to get another 1st place anytime soon but I'm excited for the journey.

6. FB- If you were to own any car in the world, what would it be?

Emily- Any car in the world??? That's tough. There are just too many to choose from so I'll go with a classic. '69 Boss 302. I've always been a sucker for a muscle car.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, Emily!
-Austin Bradshaw | Flying Bye Photo | flyingphotoaustin@gmail.com
“Motorsports Photography and Video” | flyingbyephoto.fotomerchant.com

Good read, Master Bradshaw.

Mike Tripp's old ride, eh? Who else has history with that machine?
And Emily is so right. Finishing is first. Then going fast enough for winning.

435 Black. We'll have to look for her in the lineup at the Ridge next week, fer sure.

Back