Driver Training Day Portland

Blair R

Hello all,

Can anyone please share with me what the schedule would / will look like for the Portland May 4th, "Driver Training Day"? Thank you

Blair Robertshaw

For specific times, contact Tracy Klein RacerGirl0110@yahoo.com
Usually, morning starts with a drivers meeting between 7:30-8:00. Then a novice orientation laps, then 4 run groups cycle through 20-min. sessions (4x out).

I believe we are still offering the single-session for open-wheel cars at the end of the day;
followed by the practice race start for those looking to start the novice racing program.

Yes there is only one session for ow cars. However each time I have done it there has been no more then two cars on the track making it a private test session. A good time to check the car out before the start of the season. What are you driving and hopefully we will see you at the Rose City Opener.

Tim Bland
84 Anson SA4
Gresham, OR

Hi Tim,

We are in a Pro Formula Mazda. Sadly, with only one session available and only 20 minutes, it does not make much economic sense for us to travel 12 - 13 hours one way, 20 minutes, hotel for the night and then the balance of track time for the weekend. We really need more
time to get the gearing, aero settings as well as learn the track. Looking more like the triple race weekends are where we are going to have to concentrate our time and budgets. Last year the training day we experienced at the Spokane triple was invaluable for us in so far as
car set up and learning the track. Really made the whole trip worth the dollars from a racing / car setup perspective and plus we had a wicked fun time! Upside on the PIR training day is we save some $ or better....don't spend as much.

Can anyone tell me if there is a training day scheduled before an ICSCC race weekend in 2012 that offers OW competitors more than one 20 minute session? Thanks in advance.

Blair R

Last edited:
Blair,
I have the track rental price sheet from Spokane County Raceway. I met with the new track operator last week and mentioned track days. I also mentioned to them the lack of tracks in the Calgary area now and trying to get a few more of you guys down their way. I can pass what I have on to Greg Coffin to see if he would be interested in setting something up for the open wheel guys.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike, that would be huge! I sent an email to the city asking that very question but have yet to receive a reply. it must be about 3 weeks now. if you want you can send it to me as well. We might even be able to do a 2 day test weekend or 2 day weekday. Mike do you know if
many OW cars race in the IRDC? Seems they have driver T days that offer more than one training session for OW cars so a T day there followed by an IRDC race weekend would also work very well for us new guys heading south! Thanks again.

Blair R

Can anyone tell me if there is a training day scheduled before an ICSCC race weekend in 2012 that offers OW competitors more than one 20 minute session? Thanks in advance.

Blair R

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://ridgeracingschool.com/shop/open-wheel-closed-wheel-hp-driving-day-april-1-2012/

At The Ridge Motorsports Park. Ridge Racing School April 1st lapping day. Might want to get on it, it's right around the corner. Yes it's a tow.. but it's a great track.

It's not on your side of the state but don't let a little thing like logistics stop you!

For PIR, the best I know to recommend is talking to Prodrive. Unfortunately, their open test days are not backed up to an ICSCC weekend because the Cascade school always runs on that Friday. Still, you might look at their schedule and talk to them about when they allow OW cars (I know they do sometimes). Maybe you could do some testing and then move on to a different venue for an additional event?

Just FYI, the reason Cascade only offers a single session for OW is that the other 4 groups are always full enough to merit keeping them, whereas the OW interest recently has been very low. We wanted to give OW cars sometime before the race weekend started, but cramming one session in was all we could financially justify, and was all we could do with the time restraints.

If you can pull together a min. of around 15 cars, then I'm sure Tracy would consider assigning an entire group to be OW throughout the day. I offered this up a few years ago, though, and got zip for interest. Just saying. If you guys want track time, you've got to pull together to make it financially worth the clubs' time.

Thank you Colin, yes short notice for my guys and there is our challenge which sucks because we have watched the Ridge development with great interest regardless of the 15 hour tow one way. We have to take Thursday off, Friday and the following Monday and for me I'm OK
but for my guys its more of a challenge especially with short notice to their employers.

Karen, thank you as well for your input. The most we could muster from our OW group would be an 8 - 10 car count. I will certainly look into the PRODRIVE days. Being that most of the OW group in your market know the tracks it seems they are less inclined to go to a T day
save maybe the first one or two in the new racing year. None the less, we will forge ahead and try and do a 2 day Spokane track rental open to tin tops, OW and vintage and maybe have a chance of making that happen. if successful at least its track time but personally I sure would like to get to ORP, The Ridge, PIR and Pacific. Thanks everyone for your input and of course I welcome any further suggestions.

Blair R

Blair,
Can you send me your email address and number ? The track operation had a positive shake up this Spring and I will pass your message on to the new Operator. The new Operator is a local racer with a Top Fuel car and is already trying to improved the track .

my email addy: roadsterx at hotmail dot com

Mike

Mike

Blair,
If you could muster 10 commitments, it would be worth your while to talk with Tracy Klein about getting a group in the driver training. I know that doesn't bring the count up to break-even, but she could still run it by the board and see if they're willing to do it.

IRDC Test and Tune May 17

The IRDC Test and Tune at Pacific on May 17 and prior to every race weekend is divided into 3 groups. 2 tin top groups and an OW/sports racer group. Track time starts at 9:00 and everyone rotates through their 30 minute sessions until the track closes for the day, usually for Drag racing. Get plenty to track time with time between sessions to make necessary changes to the car. Need more information contact Dave Bennitt at 425 864 1078.

FYI to anyone helping or driving -- The Driver Training track day this weekend at PIR is on SATURDAY.

There have been some printings of a Sunday date, which, I have confirmed with Tracy, is wrong.

Back