CSCC Doernbechers Dash,, or Not?

kyle_nickels

"The Okie"
A statement was made during the CSCC Membership Meeting that IF the Club changes the name to and IF the Club does not have Doernbechers as its Charity of choice then participation in the event by ICSCC drivers would be markedly reduced ("they wouldn't come").

I'd love to hear some views on this.

It will probably depend on the weight of the charity and how popular it is. "For the kids" was a heart felt motto. CSCC would certainly need to come up with a charity that carries that kind of emotional motivator.

Are drivers (speaking from my own perspective) really attending races because of the title or "sponsor?" I suppose there is some low-digit percentage of drivers who make an effort to attend this particular race instead of some other because of the association with the hospital, but I find it hard to believe that race entries would be down significantly solely because of a move away from Doernbecher (e.g.).

Are drivers (speaking from my own perspective) really attending races because of the title or "sponsor?" I suppose there is some low-digit percentage of drivers who make an effort to attend this particular race instead of some other because of the association with the hospital, but I find it hard to believe that race entries would be down significantly solely because of a move away from Doernbecher (e.g.).

+1 on what Steve said. Charity sponsorship is a great idea, but doubt it has little bearing on attendance...maybe media coverage if done right.

On behalf of the charity committee for Cascade I thank you for the wonderful comments. I too, believe the drivers choice is not based solely on name recognition. We have no plans to NOT include Doernbecher in the giving process. We found several other charities in the greater Portland area that have some very needy children they help. We also looked closely at the overhead for a charity to know how much is really going to the charity. Tracy Klein and Shelly Miller put an awful lot of work into this program. They deserve a big thank you from all of us. We have requested suggestions from the club membership for ideas and the committee has moved forward. You will see some differences in the names but NOT the thought or end results. Rides are definitely still in the plan.

I also am hoping to get the open wheel drivers from groups 3 and 6 to help us buckle kids into the cars. We seem to have a breakdown in this area and if more people help to buckle, we can get more kids in the cars that are patiently waiting. Any extra help at this point of the operation will be very much appreciated. Again thanks to all of you for all the supporting you give us. This is all volunteer work on top of putting a race on for that weekend.

OK, now let look at the Doernbecher race from the other side of the fence.
I believe a lot of drivers DO set their schedule to include the Doernbecher.
It is a very worthy cause and we are always there to support it.

I would however suggest that the fee for a race cars ride go back to a donation and not a set dollar amount.
I understand charging for the exotic cars rides a set amount, but it is disheartening to see a large family having to tell their children they can not afford to pay that much for a lap around the track.

Thank you CASCADE for making it happen!

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC Senior
SCCA National

In the 5 years I have been racing as a member of CSCC, the Doernbecher name has not been at all part of my decision to run the race. I enjoy the charity aspect and the happy faces on kids but I would not look at it any differently if the name or the benefactors were changed. In fact, as some mentioned at the CSCC meeting Doernbecher is a force all its own and our 10-12K a year is peanuts to them. So much so that they don't make any effort to help coordinate the event or even market it to their families.

As another member pointed out to me at the CSCC meeting, Nike sells a $125 Air Force 1 Doernbecher shoe, and in less than 10 years has contributed $2.4 million to Doernbecher. A charity with a Nike shoe is not probably getting the use out of our 10K the way a smaller, immediately local charity might.

But as I said, the name or benefactor is 0% of my decision making process for entering that event.

I agree that as long as it is a worthy cause the charitable race is a great idea. Sadly cannot give rides, but count me in as an open wheel driver to help buckle the kids in for their rides.

Despite the "Ho-hum, it's just another race" perspective, it's good for a club that is surrounded by a public-city venue to have a grand event to grab some even-if-only-local air time and get some ink for itself (and Conference, of course). The "Whatever" Dash provides that splash, and at a track that can attract at least some qualified media coverage.

It's special. It's Cascade Sports Car Club. And they're doing something for the common good of the community. It sells FUN. It's PIR as the back drop with something besides just the race cars practice, qualify and race sessions for the pleasure of it's entrants and a championship series which may otherwise mean very little to the general public. It is a specticle within the specticle of our great sport.

It's for the kids.

A statement was made during the CSCC Membership Meeting that IF the Club changes the name to and IF the Club does not have Doernbechers as its Charity of choice then participation in the event by ICSCC drivers would be markedly reduced ("they wouldn't come").

I'd love to hear some views on this.

Although I never based my race attendance on what the event sponsor was, any time that I was entered for the Doernbecher weekend I always made sure to sign up for, and give a ride to one of the children that came out to the event. Knowing that I was able to give a youngster an experience that would not soon be forgotten touched me deeply, given the circumstance that those children were facing.

If I was still competing regularly and the Doernbecher event no longer existed as it once did would have no impact on my decision to attend that particular stop on the championship calendar.

But I would (and do) miss the opportunity to add a bright spot in the otherwise grim period of a child.

+1 on what Steve said. Charity sponsorship is a great idea, but doubt it has little bearing on attendance...maybe media coverage if done right.

IRDC had the local Seattle media promote and cover an event once upon a time, the late 1970's or early 1980's, I can't remember now, as my addled old brain is failing me.

It was a disaster for the club.

As a result of the extra race even promotion and media coverage, there was a dramatic increase in the usual amount of non-Conference attendees, much more than anticipated. So much so that the usual volunteer workers had a very difficult time dealing with them. Crowd control was grossly inadequate. There were many situations involving those who need strict supervision (spectators) and didn't have it pacing themselves and the racers at risk for injury.

The minimal increase in spectator ticket sales failed to cover the increased risk and as far as I know the subject never came up again.

Thanks you all for the comments. These are things we need to know right after an event, if it will require discussion and change. It is just disheartening to work and write of something going on, no one answers (which doesn't necessarily mean they agree and just figure you should know). We are working for KIDS in this area in the Northwest. Wow, on Nike! We all just do the best we can.

Thanks Sherm and I will add your name to the list if you are there. The rides need to be set up like assembly work on a conveyor belt but we need some help in that department.

Again it makes me proud to be part of ICSCC with the charities and the help you have provided us on the video. Thank you, thank, thank you.

While I would do the August race regardless of who it benefited I do get excited about it being for Doernbecher. While I prefer to continue to support Doernbecher I am also quite aware there are other local organizations that could use support. I will continue to do this race and I look forward to doing it again in 2013.

I am a group 3 driver and can assist in buckling the passengers in for the rides.

Tim Bland
84 Anson SA4

Ditto on Eric's sentiments. I have no doubt Doernbecher appreciates the help, but I've got to agree they hardly notice this event. While I love the idea of helping this charity, and was glad to be a part of it again this past year after a few years of not participating, I would agree that there are many, many other charities out there who need the help far more. I'm not a Cascade member, but I'm just giving my 2-cents worth here.

Back