Car Number Question...

Bill Bonsell

As I have only been around for two years now, I have a question I would like to ask regarding car numbers and specifically the way our license number equates to car number and vice versa. I have a senior license and my license number is 26. This also happens to be my car number, right? As I understand it, the number belongs to me and designates my ICSCC license number. If I want to share my car with another driver, he also has a license number and would have to affix that number to the car being shared. Is that correct? If he is not a Conference licensee, how is his number determined? Is it possible for two drivers to share a singularly numbered car in different run groups? And if not, why not if I may ask? Say I run in SM Group 2 as number 26 and someone sharing my car runs in FIP Group 5 as number 26. Doable?

Thanks...looking forward to hearing from the Conference vets on this one.

Bill-

I can tell you that if he doesn't have a conference license, he'll have to be running a 7xx number - in which case, he could request 726 :) A couple stripes of well placed racers tape would take care of covering up the 7 between sessions!

Your license number is your car number, but it is also group-specific, so your scenario of someone with license (and car) number 26 in Group 2 while someone else is #26 in Group 5 is possible. The fact that it's the same car in those groups is beside the point.

Also, yes, non-ICSCC numbers are in the 700s for area/senior run groups.

Thanks Steve and ?....

Ok, so here would be the scenario I would be exploring. I currently own a Spec Miata - #26 in Group 2 and Group 5...My senior license is 26. So I sell my car at some point and climb into another Spec Miata owned by my son who currently has an area license #426. He should be upgrading to Senior early 2012. We agree to retain the #26 and run the car in Spec Miata Group 2 and FIP in Group 5. I run one group and he runs another group. Haven't quite figured who will do which. Will our license numbers have to reflect then the run group we will be entering....effectively my license becomes 26 in Group 5 and his becomes 26 in Group 2 or vice versa (and I would presume then, that we can never switch groups within the season?). I do understand about an out of conference racer needing to add a 7...forgot that one.

Bill-

When you submit your license application, have you noticed that the numbers are per-group? For that matter, take a look at your Senior license and you'll see that the number is, in fact, per-group. Ignore the car aspect of your scenario... two different drivers in two different groups can have the same number. (Of course, if you were to run in the "other" group at some point, you'd have a number that wasn't 26, because someone in that group already has it.)

Lance and Stephanie Richert do this. Lance is G1:35 and Steph is G5:35 with Lance running group 1 PRO3 and Steph runs EIP in group 5; same car, so they don't need to make any changes to the number panels between races.

At the last Seattle race, Ted Anthony, Jr ran my car (I'm #130 in groups 1 & 5) in EIP group 5 under a 700 number: 730. Easy enough to add one piece of racer tape to my car for the change.

Thanks Steve...

Think I have a handle on it. Was hoping my son and I could retain #26 for both 2 and 5. More than likely we share a car next year.

Bill-

Look for availability of 126 or 226 in both groups (from race records) and then check with the license registrar. It is an easy change to add an additional number. You could also look at 28. 6-8 being a piece of racer tape.
A number on magnetic backing is easy to lay over an existing number with a little racer tape along the edges to keep the wind from grabbing the sign.
The issue then becomes remembering to make the change as you change drivers. This is where a good check list helps.
I think in your case you each get 2 numbers You would have one number in Gr2 and another in Gr5, your son would have the alternate number in those groups.
Then when you get the other car in play it can have the "back up number".

When Stephanie was ready bump up from Novice we asked the license registrar what 2-digit numbers were available in both Group 1 and Group 5. Of the couple of numbers available, we took 35. Really is nice to not have to change. Before that I had been running as 132 (which was when Bill was running 32 and we shared the car).

I wonder who has held the same car number the longest in ICSCC.

"I wonder who has held the same car number the longest in ICSCC."--Lance Richert

I'm gonna throw a couple guesses. Dick Boggs, Don Smethers (maybe not any more), Frank McKinnon. Okay that was three.

Pet Peeve.....duct tape/electrical tape numbers......flap in the breeze....fall off........not big enough as per comp regs....is barely visible as it sometimes blend into car color and can't see it.

I'm going to say that #70 is probably in the running, there's a video on this forum of Mac Russell racing in 1963, with basically the same paint scheme even.

Pet Peeve.....duct tape/electrical tape numbers......flap in the breeze....fall off........not big enough as per comp regs....is barely visible as it sometimes blend into car color and can't see it.

Lets not get too SCCA-ish....

EVERY year at the double national 6 or 8 cars get 'pulled' off the track for 'bad numbers'.... Geez guys, you really, really need numbers to tell cars apart??? If the transponder is timing them then get over it.

Richard, it has nothing to do with timing. And they still rely sometimes on the numbers too.
- Trying to quick spot a car eg: #20 and you call in #720 because you can't see the "7".
- Writing reports and you have the wrong number because you can't read them.
- Moving alerts, you call in the wrong number.
- Pass under Yellow...wrong number written up.
- If you have to change your number, but one door says one number and the other door says another number (because one fell off) and they don't match the hood or rear. I've seen cars with (3) THREE different numbers several times.
I'm just sayin........the people on the ground still need the clarity. This has nothing to do with being SCCA-ish. This has be discussed for years in Conference and has never really been addressed.
Still a pet peeve.

Listen to race comm for a session and you'll realize how many numbers the corner stations call in to the tower in a typical session. Answer: a lot.

Hey, that's fine Lynn...got my questions answered so this thread is free to go ANYWHERE!! Say, how about those M's??

Bill

Numbers

Remember the T&S crew is timing only the qualifying and practice. For races the winner is determined by laps not times. If your transponder quits in the race and your number is unreadable, you may loose lap count simply because we cannot see you in the race crowd to count your laps. We can do a manual but we need to see when you cross S/F to manually trip the box. The first race of the season is the hardest because the numbers on some cars will have change and we have new drivers. At PIR the first race will be interesting also because T/S will be in the north tower (S/F) and you will be pitted in the south club pits. At least you won't have to worry about track crossings!

Back