Calling all drivers: I need just a few minutes of your time

S2 or S 2000 is a Sports Racer class using the Ford 2 Liter "Pinto" 4 cylinder overhead cam engine.

Production Class vehicles are based on street available cars of whom more than 500 were built, with limited modifications to drive train components. Older vehicles may be allowed to use some composite body panels, but otherwise modifications are limited to reduce costs and allow the car to be driven to the track. Letter designations categorize cars by a power to weight ratio, and the use of street tires or slicks.

Last edited:
@Kyle: if that is true it is a newer rule, or has been ignored. I don't remember the gentleman's name from Canada, but he built a car from which he could quickly remove the fenders. He ran a Sports Racer class, and an open wheel class in two different groups. And if the story I was told was correct, it was the second car he home-hand-built. That is the true spirit of the class structure in Conference. Run what 'ya brung. But I still think we should find someway to reduce the numbers of classes so more people are racing against each other.

I was in the process of building an OW and inquired and was told that. As I stated, I could be wrong. If so I may just restart that project!

@Kyle, from the 2012 competition regulations, there is no mention of homolgation needed or hand-built being disallowed. Just roll hoop configuration, and the safety specs for all cars, belts, fire bottle, transponder, egress. Your car would be Etc. Can't wait to see it. :)
-------------
All Formula Cars constructed
prior to January 1, 1998, shall be grandfathered in their original roll
bar/cage/chassis design so long as they are competing as an
ICSCC licensed entry with an appropriate ICSCC logbook.
Grandfather provisions notwithstanding, the top of the roll bar main
hoop shall extend two (2) inches above the driver’s helmet, seated
normally and restrained by seat belt/shoulder harness. Additionally, a straight line
cont. drawn from the top of the main hoop to the top of the front hoop,
shall pass over the top of the driver’s helmet. New cars
constructed after January 1, 1998, shall have front hoop/rear
hoop conforming to Section 1105.
. . .
Formula Libre will consist of all open wheeled vehicles not
aforementioned (i.e., Formula 5000, Formula Continental,
Formula Super Vee, Formula B, etc.).

Back