Austin F1 track (and race) DOA

Steve Adams

Just this guy, ya know?
It's not 100% certain, but close enough for government work: The F1 circuit in Austin is dead and the F1 race tentatively scheduled for next fall along with it. The Comptroller who had sort-of guaranteed the $25 million for the F1 sanction has pulled it due to the infighting going on between the Circuit of Americas ownership and Full Throttle Productions (owned by Tavo Hellmund, who got the agreement from Bernie Ecclestone in the first place).

I'm sure Bernie's not broken up over it, as now his long-desired "F1 race with NYC skyline backdrop" can go ahead in New Jersey with no competition from another North American event.

Hell Steve, I would rather watch club racing anyday.....you don't see competitors helping out fellow competitors to get them back on track in F1.
And we definitely don't have any parades in our races.
F1 really isn't in the real world in so far as money spent and racing budgets.....so to maybe have an F1 race not come to fruition, oh well.
Darn it all anyways, sounds like I'm not a fan, eh?

$.02 plus tax

I'm with Lynn. F1 is a snore. Amateur Racing is much more fun. You guys are way more exciting than F1, CART, Champcar, Grand Am, etc...

The bottom line for the state Comptroller was that there was no contract, or firm commitment (surprised?), so they weren't going to release any of the $25 million. If the promoters get their act together, it could still happen. Bernie probably couldn't care less, he's got plenty of other opportunities.

The bottom line for the state Comptroller was that there was no contract, or firm commitment

And she was okay with that, in fact sponsored it, but got cold feet once Full Throttle Productions and Circuit of the Americas started becoming separate. It was Hellmund that worked out the deal with Bernie, but now that he's out of the equation, there's not a lot endearing CotA with Bernie. Without his imprimatur, fronting the money for something that might not happen seems a lot less like a good bet. And since it appears now that they won't get a contract without ponying up the licensing fee first, but they no longer have access to the money they intended to use to pay the licensing fee... well, yes, it could still happen, but it sounds like Epstein (I think that's his name) is trying to play hardball with someone who couldn't give less of a sh!t about Austin now that New Jersey is on the horizon.

As soon as they announced the NJ race, I knew where I'd be buying my plane ticket to. That will be one fantastic setting for a race.

Last edited:
That is pretty much the nut shell of it, Steve.

Smart on ya, Lance.

I've never really had any other reason to consider New Jersey, or even NYC a recreational destination, but an F1 race seems like the only time I might ever consider it.

Just found this:

"LONDON (AP) —Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone says the U.S. Grand Prix could be removed from the 2012 calendar because construction of the Texas race track was halted.

Ecclestone said Wednesday that a contract dispute with organizers must be settled by Dec. 7, when the 2012 calendar is officially ratified, for the race to go ahead.

Construction of the track in Austin was stopped Tuesday, with organizers saying the work will not resume until they have a contract from Formula One to stage the race next year.

However, Ecclestone says no contract has been issued because the organizers have not provided the proper letter of credit.

Asked if the race could be dropped unless the situation is resolved before the schedule is ratified in New Delhi on Dec. 7, Ecclestone said: “It will be, for sure, 100 percent.”"

So they got a good 'Catch 22' goin' for 'em. Pearl Harbor Day...

Last edited:
I've been watching F1 my whole life and attended the F1 USA race at Indy in 2006 (the demise of Michelin in F1). I've been planning a trip to Austin ever since I heard of this. Very disappointed. I agree with Lynn too. Often times the racing itself is boring but the majority of this season and last season has been absolutely terrific. My primary draw however is the technical side. Double Diffusers, KERS, F-Ducts, Pneumatic valve trains, 7-speed gear boxes only slightly larger than your fist, brake rotors that take 8 months to make, etc... You take 11 teams all doing their own thing within the regs and you end up with 6 cars on the same second in qualifying!? That's pretty remarkable in my book.

Instead I see myself going to SLC for the Pirelli World Challenge at Miller so I can see the new B-Spec cars.

.....I've never really had any other reason to consider New Jersey, or even NYC a recreational destination,...

WISE THINKING!

I lived in New Jersey for about 7 years working for RCA. It's a place you really don't want to live unless it's absolutely necessary and most certainly is NOT a 'destination resort'!

As far as the F1 race is concerned, I wouldn't even think about it. You're going to have 4 MILLION people trying to get in to it and another 1 MILLION people trying to figure out how to "CON" the other 4 million. It just won't be as much 'fun' as you have hopes for, trust me. New York itself? Yes, "interesting place" to visit short term but... you need $$$ to enjoy it.

That area of New Jersey isn't exactly a 'hot bed' of hotels and motels. "Normal people" will probably end up staying as far away as Philly. Manhattan hotels are very pricey and will be 'difficult' to get to and from the NJ track.

Can you tell I'm NOT EVEN thinking about going? Better to go North to the Canadian where at least the crowds KNOW what an F1 car is and it will be a 'better environment' :)

Last edited:
Like Richard said....go to Canada.

Years ago I flew in the morning of the race from Toronto, caught the train/bus to the track and was back in Toronto that night. The beauty of the Canadian race is it is at the old worlds fair (expo 76?) so mass transit is in place to get you there and back with no hassels.......bring an ear plug (you only ned one due to the dopler effect

Color me... hmm, not exactly surprised. In fact, completely not surprised at all. 'Circuit of Texas' just never seemed to make any sense whatsoever a-tall.

As to Joisy- 'Hell is a place much like Newark'. I'd rather watch Curling in South Dakota.

t

Well, that was the BIGGEST loss. The heck with F1 but not getting Super V8's... now that was sad :(

But, there's no date on that page. Is it a "REALLY NEW STORY"? I'd go back to Texas for V8's LONG, LONG before I'd go for F1.

Funny that we need to go to Australia to get the news on serious international races in our own back yard.. sigh.

Hehe.. The news have been slowly dissipating on a few other outlets, but it seems like they (FIA) added it to the official F1 schedule. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a few more bumps between now and November 2012..

Back