Attaching a Go-Pro to a Formula Car

broomspeed

Cheryl Gilbert
I finally have a Go-Pro and am looking to attach it to both an FV and a CF. I am curious if anyone had any advice on the best place to attach it, what type of mount works best and how I should tether it? Please let me know if you have any insight on this.

Thank you,
Cheryl Gilbert

Bigger not always better

I would say that for an openwheel application, it's unfortunate that you chose a small brick, over some of the smaller lipstick cams available now. Well, unfortunate for you, not for your competitors. ;)

I have the ReplayXD, and it allows me to mount it on my helmet if I so choose. I know from experience you would notice the wind drag from larger cameras in the same spot; SIGNIFICANT buffeting. I love the videos from the helmet though, because the camera follows all the action better.

Unless you're getting artistic, the other main option is side cowling. I'd say mount your GoPro at the rear pointing backwards, and get a smaller cam for forward pointing options. AND NEVER MOUNT A CAMERA TO YOUR NOSE. It's a Murphy's law thing. You'll need a new nose AND a new camera. Good luck.

CamLoc.jpg

Thanks guys! Yeah, I would never dream of mounting it to my nose. That's just asking for trouble. I was thinking off the roll hoop somehow. I do have lipstick camera lens that I purchased years ago and never got around to setting up. I like the Go-Pro because it is ready to go and easy to mount. Not sure how I feel about mounting and camera and routing it to a recording device. Seems like a lot of work. LOL

Coley, what do you record to?

Thanks,
Cheryl

No cables. The camera I use has a little 4GB UHS microSDHC Card that slips in the back. Pull it out, slide it into an apadtor and plug it into your laptop. You're watching videos within 5 minutes of a session. (eliminates the he said/she said). If memory serves, I bought mine from Andy. Best purchase yet. There's a lot of good cameras on the market now though.

http://www.replayxd.com/

Oh wow, that is really cool! I have never seen one of those before. I will have to do some research....

If you are going to attach your camera to the roll hoop of an OW car, please consider the possibility of a tow strap that may occupy that same hoop for other uses when necessary.

For convenience and to minimize the possibility that I bust your stuff, a quick dis-connect ability is most advisable, thank you.

Thanks guys!

Joe, I like that mount way better than the plastic one that came with the Go-Pro camera.

And Ken, you definitely bring up a good point about it being another thing to get broken in towing situation. You've all given me some stuff to think about...

Cheryl

Hey Cheryl,
I agree with Coley. I had a GoPro and now also have the ReplayXD. It is much easier to deal with than the GP. If you haven't done anything to the GP that would preclude returning it I would look into the Replay. That said, as far as mounting the GP, I had success with mounting it on the Crossle body near the roll hoop and was able to see the tach as well. I would avoid the roll hoop mount for the reason that Ken brought up. The big trick is to mount it so you can turn it on when strapped in, or have someone that will do it. You can use multiple mounting brackets to get various views. Hope this means we will see you at the track this year.

I think a valve stem mount would lead to a whole new form of videography. You could see how a margarita looks like while in the blender.

I mounted mine on the Crossle on the center bodywork just next to my head. It shows the steering wheel and some mirror action, as well as the movement of the front tires, so it's a great location.

Back