An electrical curiosity...

For those who were at the August race last season, you probably saw our electric race car:

HPIM2146.jpg

Yeah, not quite ICSCC legal, but the same principals are being ran in our program. The car is ran off two Exide batteries against high schools all over the pacific northwest. We race for an hour and the car with the most laps is the winner. We average a speed of 25-50mph. Our team is ran out of the Clark County Skills Center in Vancouver, Wa.

Didnt mean to hi-jack the thread, but if anyone is interested, I will share more information on our car.

Not at all. I am 5'9" and my toes are about below that 44 on the nose. The car is 8 1/2 feet long, no room at all in there.

Those cars work best for small people. A friend of Adam's from the Little People of America drove for a team from Salem a few years back when he was still in high school. Like Adam, he is a dwarf, so had room to spare in there. I don't know how well the car worked however. I only got to see him run a couple of times when we were arriving at the track and the electrics were finishing up.

Rob

Its pretty interesting how different yet similar a lot of the teams cars are.

I find it interesting how the principals of the electric racing could be adapted to work in a car. The parts and resources are out there, but the prices are just off the charts. Until someone can develop a way to make these parts at a much cheaper cost, I think it will be a few more years before we see an electric ICSCC car.

Here is an Electric Subaru Impreza SPU car currently racing in Florida to some success.
http://www.proev.com/index.htm

Back