A tale to Tell

kyle_nickels

"The Okie"
Gather round younger folk of Forumdom and let me tell you a tale, a tale some would say is of woe and discontent. A tale that sends small children scurrying behind their Mothers aprons and crying out for their Fathers’ squash it like a bug which was itching their hides and disturbing their restful sleep. It is a tale of events some think is beneficial in its own way, occupying the minds and typing fingers of many who would otherwise have naught but work to do, rebuilding of loyal and trustworthy chariots, or well deserved rest and regaining of strength for those we respectfully call our Leaders who place the Conference above their own needs and desires for so long during the arduous year.

It is the tale of Thread-Jacking!

It began some years ago, when Forumdom was in its infancy, Thread-Jacking was done innocently and without ill thought or intent. Often Thread-Jacking was done to pass along information about family, friends or special events in the lives of the common folk in a side note or flash of insight. Many who read the Threads were not even aware there was Jacking involved. Subtle, small innuendos and misleading informational clips were inserted without the public being aware of it. Still, no harm or injury befell anyone so it was not of interest.

As time bore us along and the Numbers of the thread began to creep ever skyward, and more members joined the family of Forum the increase of Thread-Jacking began to be noticed. Still, many were not concerned. Often laughing it away as to “one of the nuts” in the crowd, or “it was an innocent mistake” the Thread-Jacking continued unabated. It was nary meant as insult or disrespect to others and was disregarded as not of interest to those of import.

Time went further to near present day and more took notice. Several prominent scientists and research analysts performed different and complex study of Thread-Jacking. Forum leaders did not think it too worry-some, but did take matters into their consideration. For the results of the studies clearly indicated a pattern of seasonal beginning and end of Thread-Jacking. It has clearly been shown that the beginnings of Thread-Jacking season are closely related to the end of Forumdoms spectacular season of pursuit of speed and invigorating competition. Of added point to remember is at that time the population of Forumdom had risen to the numbers of respectfulness. There began a movement by an evil and unwanted few into the separation of Class and Title. Though we now consider this separation to be folly and silly, there were those who donned the Titled and attempted to gain control of Forumdom. Yet, Thread-Jacking continued, much to the dismay of the self determined Class and Title. Indeed, it became a stout Allie of the equal members of Forumdom and through determined and steadfast effort thwarted and disposed of the ranks of Class and Title.

Today it is not an ill-conceived notion that Thread-Jacking and Forumdom members look to each-other in tolerance and respect. For there are some who say without one there, with small doubt, could not be the other. It is true that Thread-Jacking may be the distracter of importance and misleader of information, still there are those who still do recall the allied efforts of the members of Forumdom and Thread-Jacking that dispatched the evil group of Class and Title. Members of the Forumdom have looked to Thread-Jacking as a curious and important event in our history and future.

So don’t be shy, don’t be worrying young folk of Forumdom. Stay to your own and contribute to Forumdom what you will. Be kind and pointed, firm and resolute when needful, but don’t be insulting or disrespectful. Be wary that that Thread you so cherish may at any given moment be deviated upon by those of the Thread-Jacking, but look to it not as evil, but with humor and consideration.

Last edited:
It's not too bad here. ;)

Actually, a way to fix this is to give the thread starters (Kyle in this thread) the ability to delete unwanted/unwelcome posts in the threads they started. I've seen it available on other forums with mixed results. Too often it results in censorship.

Last edited:
Wow... a lot of work went into Kyle's post, but I have no idea what he's saying. For thread-jacking? Against it? Trying to preempt someone getting upset because they feel their thread got 'jacked?

Speaking as the admin, now, I'll just say that I edited one thread a little while back because another, clearly-identifiable thread had begun within it. Both threads had value (one about the enduro, one about running SRs with sedans) and I didn't want any focus on either issue to be lost because they were intermingled.

That being said, I've always approached this forum (as both a poster and the admin) as being a series of paddock conversations. If they naturally deviate onto another topic, there's generally no harm done.

There was another thread recently where I wanted to gently alert some posters that they might be heading down a path, thread-jacked or otherwise, that could seriously offend certain members of our community. They got the hint and everything was fine.

I was bored at lunch, and sat down and wrote a silly little story ment to be fun, yet have only one real meaning which was we are a very fun group of people to share our opinions, beliefs, and disagree without having any ill feeling.....

Thats all. Nothing else. No hidden anything.

Hope you at least got a kick out of it.

Delete it if you must, won't hurt my feelings at all.

Steve - I actually though your separating the rampant jacked thread and the informational thread without harming either was a class move. Lets hear it for the Adamsmin. Another strong Conference guy doing his fellow racers proud.

A complex theory for simple threadjaculation, I think.

Something to ponder, perhaps, as we navigate the quantum strings, which make up this instant messachatblogiverse which has entangled, and trapped us here to await our ultimate demise writhing in the jaws of evil arachnids lurking within the www.

Last edited:
I was bored at lunch, and sat down and wrote a silly little story ment to be fun, yet have only one real meaning which was we are a very fun group of people to share our opinions, beliefs, and disagree without having any ill feeling.....

I thought that might've been what was going on, but I read it at work and my brain took a left when it should've taken a right.

As for deleting it... hell, if I deleted every post I didn't understand, there would be a whole lot fewer posts! :D

Steve - I actually though your separating the rampant jacked thread and the informational thread without harming either was a class move. Lets hear it for the Adamsmin. Another strong Conference guy doing his fellow racers proud.

Aw, shucks. :eek:

Was this Thread a form of Forum-jacking??

Right. Now back to the discussion of Single Inlet Restrictors-
I stongly feel that they MUST be made out of a thermally conductive material,
otherwise the Venturi effect will defeat their purpose, leading those that can
afford a NON-conductive restrictor to have a significant advantage over us
poor sods who must construct our own. It's not what Conference is about.

t

:p

So Toby, what are those 2 items in the photo that accompanies your name? Could they be titanium muffler deflectors, or perhaps Polish turbos? Sorry Mike.

+1 I think you do a great job here.

Right. Now back to the discussion of Single Inlet Restrictors-
I stongly feel that they MUST be made out of a thermally conductive material... :p

But Toby, the BEST thermally conductive material is Diamonds! That would really drive up the cost of racing for all of us!

Plus, some ROD members would be pulling the restrictors off on pre-grid and adorning their ears with them :D That is, if you could keep your wife out of the garage and away from your intake ;)

Well, not us as we don't need no stinking Restrictor's. Only making about 140 HP at best :(

Last edited:
Back