1963 Videos

Thanks for sharing. Hadn't seen the Portland film before. Glad we have moved away from using telephone poles as Apex cones. LOL

In those days...

Here's the configuration at PIR from 1961-1968

pir1966.jpg

And the early days of Kent/Seattle/Pacific

pacific history.gif

Phone polls lining the track, PEOPLE lining the track... oh my.

The part of the PR film that surprised me the most.... the crowd. Look at all those people!

That's the way I saw my first sports car race in 1956 and why I fell in love with the sport! Back then, people weren't looking around every corner for somebody to sue and we took some level of responsibility for our OWN safety. If you wanted to be 5" from the car going by, so be it or, 100' back.

We used hay bails as 'protection' from wayward cars when flagging. And there was NO QUESTION about the drivers 'seeing' the flags hanging SMACK in front of their windsheilds.

GREAT VIDEO's

Those videos are interesting. I attended the Seattle race with my Dad and brother. My Dad, who is 91 still has the poster at his house. We watched from above
Turn 3 with a crowd of other spectators. I showed the video to my Dad and he really got a kick out it. He is proud that he introduced his sons to auto racing.Thanks for
posting.

Ah, the good old days. The tires were skinney and the drivers were--. I was in the USNavy in 1963. My how time flies. G

My oh my the memories. That is me in the red Triumph with two white racing stripes.
Mac Russell

As an oddity of YouTube, I found this screen shot to be pretty crazy. On the same screen and at PIR but 45 years apart.
macYT.jpg

Attachments

• macYT.jpg
    macYT.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Those videos are interesting. I attended the Seattle race with my Dad and brother. My Dad, who is 91 still has the poster at his house. We watched from above
Turn 3 with a crowd of other spectators. I showed the video to my Dad and he really got a kick out it. He is proud that he introduced his sons to auto racing.Thanks for
posting.

Small world Michael, I was there too with my older brothers.

Cnv0071.jpg

Cnv0072.jpg

... I was in the USNavy in 1963..... G

SO WAS I!!!!! :)

In September I was about half way through "A" school and 5 months away from Vietnam... Hah, Hah, Hah.

Was sitting in an "A" school class when they announced of the PA system the Kennedy had been shot ... SIGH.. very sad day indeed even though I'm a Republican. Kennedy was the last of the Democratic Pres's I liked.

YES GREAT autographs.

You have to be a serious sports car fan to know about and remember Richardo and Pedro Rodriguez. Richardo was a serious potential world champion but sadly, got bit by a Lotus (as so many were in those days).

Last edited:

The part of the PR film that surprised me the most.... the crowd. Look at all those people!

Let's see now. No cell phones, desk or laptops, internet and all the gadgets that go with it from books to videos to movies, video games, very limited television, professional sports teams, and on and on. Back then,... hunting, fishing and racing. Yep.

This was one of the related videos.. A couple years later, but includes Sterling Moss doing a turn by turn description of Westwood :)

http://youtu.be/8t2R931gK0I

All of these were roughly 20 years before I was born, so thanks for the education!

Mac,

After watching the video with Tim I said: "I wonder if there's anyone in the video that is still racing today?" I said how about Dick Boggs? Tim chimed in with Mac Russell. Considering it was a long time ago we agreed probably not. Then your post pops up. Wish you could have seen his reaction along with the look on his face when I told him you're in the video. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

Thanks for the Christmas present.

Very cool. I have a bunch of still shots from PR in 1967. Mt Rainier in the background and people right next to the track.

Gerry Grant, Charley Hayes, Mark Donohue, Lew Florence, Fred Baker. Did not know any of these drivers, just names from researching the shots a few years ago.

Back