1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air Sport Coupe "Alice" - an original, unrestored beauty!

michael_conatore

I love endurance racing!
1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air Sport Coupe "Alice" - an original, unrestored beauty!

Fellow Racers,

My good friend and colleague is interested in selling his beautiful un-restored 57 Chevy "Alice". Here is the story on the car. If you have any interest, or know any collectors who may have interest, please contact Mike at mjandrit@us.ibm.com or 360-561-7215.

Michael,
As you know, "Alice" is an un restored factory original car with original interior and exterior paint. The car was purchased new by Alice Miller from Westlake Chevrolet in Seattle in August, 1957. She never took the car back to install a radio (factory delete plate is in place) nor did she install the side view mirror (mirrors and radios were dealer add-ons in 1957). The car was assembled at the old Chevy plant in Oakland, CA in July '57 and shipped to the dealer in Seattle. The Oakland Chevy plant was closed and replaced by a new plant in Fremont, CA in 1964. The engine is the original as is everything in the drive train. "Numbers matching" did not exist in 1957...they used a date stamp and casting numbers on the block but no body number. The block was cast in Flint, MI in July '57.

Alice Miller was a wealthy Seattle socialite (her father owned Miller Land and Timber Co) who never married and she was an only child. When she died in 1984, the bank liquidated her estate and sold the car to a collector in Sumner, WA. He put the car in the back of his shop, covered it up and it did not see the light of day until I purchased the car from him in 2001.

Specifications:
- 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air Sport Coupe.
- 283 ci V8 with Power-Pack (4 barrel and dual exhaust)
- PowerGlide Auto Transmission.
- 33,000 original miles.

What work has been performed on the car since I bought it?
- Every seal was leaking when I purchased the car so I had all the seals on the transmission replaced. Also, pinion seals, rear end seals, valve cover gaskets and rear main seal replaced. Alice Miller did not drive fast and she didn't change the oil very often...the engine was sludged so I had the engine completely rebuilt to original specs and balanced. Everything on the car is "correct" to original specs (plug wires, fuel pump, battery cables, etc). The engine was repainted Chevy orange but the engine compartment has the original "patina". The original distributor and water pump were rebuilt (correct casting numbers) and the radiator was rebuilt with the correct core. Also, the car came with a padded dash (very rare on Chevys back then) that was completely shrunk and popping up...detracted from the beautiful interior, so I replaced it from a company in So. Calif named "Just Dashes". I have the original pad in a box. I put a lot of loving care into polishing the original paint and chrome. I had a new exhaust system installed (original specs) and correct white wall tires (BF Goodrich Silvertown bias ply from Coker Tire).

Here are some photos of "Alice":
Alice1small.jpgAlice2small.jpgAlice3small.jpgAlice4small.jpg

WOW! Alice is a real "Looker" for an old broad. Nicely preserved. I attended the Barrett-Jackson car auction in Phoenix this year and Alice would have fit right in.

Back