19-22 March

Trevor Cobb

I'm heading down to Infineon and Thill on the 18th for four days of track time. I know a bunch of you are headed that way too. I'm planning on "roughing it" at or near the track. Have any of you done this at Infineon or Thill in the past? Where?

My basic timeline now is to leave Mill Creek/Everett around 5:30am on the 18th heading down to CA. After driving is over on the 22nd, I'll head back north. At some point, I'll pull off the road for some sleep and finish the trip in the AM on the 23rd.

Anyway, for those that are going to be there, I'd love to link up either for the drive or at the track. I'm sure I'd learn a lot from you all.

Trevor

There isn't much around thill except cows and pasture. If you can muster $60 bucks a night then you can stay at the Super 8ball hotel (Super 8 Willows) just a few miles down the road from the track.

457 N. Humboldt Ave.
Willows, CA 95988-2644
(530) 934-2871‎
(530) 934-5512‎ - Fax

It's a long drive down I road with the TC Motorsports crew for the 25 hour and we left at Auburn at 4am and did get to Thill until 6pm that night, granted we where in a big hauler.

Have fun!

Curtis

Will you have 2 highway drivers?

Plenty of guys on the forum have done it more recently and more often then I have but that's one LONG hump!

I was Young Once, and dumb. Back in 69, living in SFO I offered to "run" a fellow warrior who had just been discharged up to Portland to his family home after work on a Saturday night. I assumed it would be something like the drive from SFO to San Diego. I really should have looked at a map! Drove, was driven, drove again and MAN it was the never ending highway! Got there, slept about 4 hours and got back in the car to be at work Monday morning.

40 years later, I DREAD day Jeff says, "Lets go to Thunderhill"!

Last edited:
Ya, there is two of us. My wife has towed a car before. I'm not saying it was pretty but she did fine. I take it your recommendation is to leave on the 17th? We can do that probably. I have friends in Portland, no really, I do, honest.

The reason I posted was because I'm thinking I'd like to crash at the track, RV style. I haven't been there and I wasn't clear on if that was ok or not. I hate being "that guy."

....My wife has towed a car before. I'm not saying it was pretty but she did fine.....

LOL that brings up another 'memorable' part of that journey. My early driving years were in the West. Yes, mountain roads. My buddy grew up in Iowa.

It was a 'hellish' experience to wake up in the back seat being thrown back and forth from one side to the other slamming against the doors. Thought it was ALL OVER. When I was able to sit up, found my buddy doing DOWN off a mountain pass in NEUTRAL and not using brakes to save gas!!! Not a good idea in a car let alone if you're towing a race car trailer! Remind your 'other driver'. :)

Yes, if you want anything left in the old head besides highway blur for the track on the 19th, I'd leave on the 17th.

Last edited:
Ya, there is two of us. My wife has towed a car before. I'm not saying it was pretty but she did fine. I take it your recommendation is to leave on the 17th? We can do that probably. I have friends in Portland, no really, I do, honest.

The reason I posted was because I'm thinking I'd like to crash at the track, RV style. I haven't been there and I wasn't clear on if that was ok or not. I hate being "that guy."

If you can do leave early. I have made the trip from Everett to Chico, Ca (near Willows) about 100 times when on the sprint car team I was crew chief for. We always had at least 2 tow rig drivers and rotated. Not only for safety, but if you do it all yourself (I have many times) you arrive totally used up. Not good when you want to go and play at speed the next day.

T-hill is 498 miles from our shop in Portland (about 8 hours).
There are RV electrical and possibly water hook ups at the track.
Contact the track personel for specifics - I think there is a charge for the hookups.

Good average speed there, Rick :)

Guess to some degree the 'hump' depends upon which track day is first, Sears Point or Thunderhill. About 790 to Sears.

Thanks for all the posts guys. That's helpful.

Yeah, I think we will try to get to Portland or south of there on the 17th. My co-driver can handle the flat, no traffic stuff without a problem. I'll do the other stuff, so she should be fine.

I'll definately be rested before I get on the track. not worth the risk.

I'm looking forward to this. I haven't been on the track since November. Unless you count the 6 hour enduro at Apex.

Just an F.Y.I:
California has a strictly enforced (on out of state vehicles) speed limit on trailers. Any chance that a trailer has it has a race car in it implies the abbility to pay a substantial ticket.

BILL MURRAY

Just an F.Y.I:
California has a strictly enforced (on out of state vehicles) speed limit on trailers. Any chance that a trailer has it has a race car in it implies the abbility to pay a substantial ticket.

BILL MURRAY

Actually it is 55 mph with trailer regardless of size, or if out of state/in state. I was TOLD this in person when pulling my little Harbor Freight Tire trailer.:eek:

Back