Pacific Raceways Updates...

Leave T5/T6 alone, please, one of my favorite sets of corners on all the tracks I have raced on. Go ahead and change T8, 40 degrees of banking would be nice. I kind of like T2 but more consistant paving might be nice.

I agree, Randy. The T4 to T7 complex is one of the most challenging, fun to drive sections of race track I've ever seen.

Matter of fact, the entire Pacific Raceway in terms of layout and setting among the trees and with its elevation change is a rare jewel of a track. Wth just some cosmetic improvements, repaving and a few safety items it would be one of the finest tracks in the country.

Sadly, I must admit, T5 to T6 is a real car eater. When we have out of town racers (such as for the SCCA double) those corners will devour 5 or 6 cars. Drivers who don't race it often don't understand the dynamics of that section or show it proper respect. Some changes are needed there. But not necessarily a complete redesign and slowing of the whole section. Just smoothing out T5A so the car doesn't get light at the apex and widening the run off areas (or a soft wall) would do just fine. On the 'new' map it looks like they have cut the inner bank back more to allow for the 'extra' turns they have added in there. Really not necessary to add turns.

The changes at T9 could actually be interesting from a drivers perspective. But that high speed sweeper is a challenge. The new layout will make it more technical for sure with 3 medium speed sweepers.

Why in the world they had to make T1/T2 a 'box' is beyond me. I cannot see any 'logical' reason for that. The original "new" compound curve looked good and would have kept some speed through there that wouldn't make 1st lap and early race lap packs in to a survival section.

ALL of the high speed sweeps (including the kink) are now gone except for what speed you can carry through T7/T8.

The only consistent thing in this world is change right? Well, the track will change. It will be still be fun, we'll still go racing there. Consider it's located on this side of the Cascades the most appropriate question is... "What will this new variation of PR be like in the rain?"

I like Pacific Raceways but could live without its plethora of "character flaws".

I'm not afraid of change, I welcome it. It will be like having a new track in my backyard.

Almost forgot! TTIWWOP....

Sooooo:

prcel_web.jpg

1 Drag Strip: New drag strip to run North-South which eliminates late-afternoon sun problems, directly across from the new facility entrance to allow easy access for racers and fans. Lowered 25 feet to help with noise abatement.
2 Drag Strip Pits/Parking: Fully-paved pits and parking located directly adjacent to the drag strip.
3 Gas Station: Full-featured gas station located directly adjacent to the drag strip facility.
4 Shift Kart Track: World-class, multi-configurable shift kart facility, lowered 25 feet to assist in noise abatement.
5 3/8-Mile Paved Oval Track: The paved oval track and grandstand facility capable of hosting sprint and short-track stock car racing events.
6 Oval Track Pits:
7 Fire Station/Care Center: Fully-equipped with state-of-the-art firefighting and emergency medical care equipment.
8 Road Course Paddock/Cold Pit Garages: 18 Permanent Racer Garages:
9 300-Foot Skid Pad: For driver education and photographic purposes. 19 Access Tunnels: Constructed underneath the road course to allow easy vehicle and spectator access to all parts of the road course facility, even during racing sessions.
10 Driving School Buildings/Autocross Area:
11 Spectator Bridge: Constructed over the road course which will allow easy fan access to all parts of the road course facility, even during racing sessions.
12 Club House and Office Complex: All-new offices and club house facility with restaurants.
13 Motorsports Business Complex: Over 500,000 square feet of commercial and industrial facilities.
14 Hospitality and Education Centers:
15 Super Speedway: Proposed future high-speed banked tri-oval will attract NASCAR racing events.
16 2.25-Mile Road Course: FIA certification of the road course, capable of attracting NASCAR, IRL and CART racing events.
17 Motocross Facility:
18 Permanent Racer Garages:
19 Access Tunnels: Constructed underneath the road course to allow easy vehicle and spectator access to all parts of the road course facility, even during racing sessions.

AHHHHHHHHH... That's better.

This appears to be the old map Colin, not the updated version that Rich mentioned earlier. This lay-out looked great, the new one sounds very boring, just like most new FIA tracks.

Yup, that is the 'old' version still on the Pacific Raceway web site.

Okay, okay I'll go to Kinko's tomorrow and try to get a decent scan of this rather small quater page image.

P.S.
As I said, the drag strip is WAY different now.

I'm guessing the reason for the change was a part of the 2008 season effect. They want MUCH longer run out areas for the top fuel and funny cars these days even if they are only running 1,000 feet. The above plat plan didn't allow for the longer run out.

If you look at the map above, the drag strip runs out along a line where the angled orange buildings are on the left and WAY DOWN in to the corner of the property WELL beyond Turn 2.

Last edited:
Even after wadding up one rabbit in '06 in the 5a/5b complex, I am certain those are the best two turns I know. Very challenging and an absolute rollercoaster ride from the point before 5a where the car unweights and up through 6. These turns have my respect. I would like to know why the curbing sits at about 30 degrees??? why isn't it typical FIA rumble strips? Those steep curbs seem archaic at best and should be knocked down.

New layout

Okay, here it is. I uploaded it pretty high res. but the Forum knocked it down. I think you can get the drift of what's happening.

Last edited:
I'm not afraid of change, I welcome it. It will be like having a new track in my backyard.

Not all change is good, just ask the people of Haiti.

Regarding PR, I appreciate making the track safer but the "T1/T2 box" looks lame. I prefer sweepers over that. A banked sweeper would be great.

That whole T5 and beyond is a real waste of rubber. How many turn stations do you figure to cover this new configuration (with station-to-station/flag to flag line of sight)?

.... I appreciate making the track safer but the "T1/T2 box" looks lame......

Lame? Yes and 1st lap traffic in "the box" will NOT be safe. If that is REALLY surrounded by sand traps we'll need 2 tow trucks stationed at T1 just to pull cars out. Unless, a no passing rule until the down hill to 3A is impossed... LOL

Last edited:
.....How many turn stations do you figure to cover this new configuration (with station-to-station/flag to flag line of sight)?

Ken, assuming the T5 and T6 stations stay about where they are now, it would be the same coverage.

BUT there will probably have to be a T9 and T9C station (i.e. 1 more) because of what appears to be a new building or grandstand on the inside of the track at 9A.

The new T1 to what will be T4 probably as is now for stations.

Will now be a 17 or 18 turn track instead of 10.

Last edited:
Yeah, the "box" is a mess. Reminds me of T2 at Laguna, in the sense that a LOT of cars will end up in the sand there. Bleah. As for the rest... well, there certainly seems to be the potential to "boring-ify" the track, but it could still be okay. Kinda hard to tell from this map.

Thanks for posting, Richard.

I like the proposed changes...although, I am a huge fan of the layout and for the way it was back in the day...not the current condition it has been allowed to fall into. The proposal gives us a legitimate pit lane to work in (as I imagine there will be at least 2 crossing points into the infield) Also, more access to the back sections for crews and fans...which has been a drawback for some who cannot see much of the back sections from differing viewing locations.

While we won't have the off-camber excitement of Turn 2 speed into Little Indy, the "box" section will still be quite technical to get right...and will make a big difference, I believe, on your speed down the hill into Turn 3, which is going to be waaaay faster!

The new section in the old "turns 5, 5a & 6" might look boring...but, I think that with the correct angles and speeds, will still be a challenge to get right in order to carry that speed up the hill...which looks also to be faster...into the old turns 7 & 8. The front straight will be a true straight instead of the current turn 10 kink...which will make it safer during wet racing conditions. All in all, still a technical track layout with much of the current track feel...but, safer to race on and I think just as exciting and challenging.

However, If they just repaved the current layout and put in FIA curbing where it's needed...and found a way to create a true pit lane area, that would receive my vote.

Assuming that S/F remains in the same relative spot, a large grid-o-ground pounders are gonna have a huge run to, and through that first turn.

Sand, you say? Not ground?

However, If they just repaved the current layout and put in FIA curbing where it's needed...and found a way to create a true pit lane area, that would receive my vote.
I think that would be the vote of a LOT of people. Although... looking at this again... I actually sort-of like the new T1 and T2 IF they were to lead into a T3 (not the proposed T3/T4) that was an opening-radius left-hand curve leading into the run to what is currently T3A.

I have to admit that it looks better on paper than your earlier description Rich, but the 1 thru 4 box looks to be quite slow. The run down the hill appears to be longer, which Jason mentioned a few years back, but the 5, 6 deal seems pointless. The 'S' before the hill could be fun, but the tightness preceeding that pretty much ruins a great old corner.
I worked that corner a few times in the early 70's and saw some great racing from a lot of great drivers, including Jody Scheckter, who left many body parts and pieces as he blew thru there as I reecall between the track and the station!

......I worked that corner (T5) a few times in the early 70's and saw some great racing from a lot of great drivers, including Jody Scheckter, who left many body parts and pieces as he blew thru there as I reecall between the track and the station!

Wes,

I DO NOT think they will ever assign me to T5 for the SCCA Double National again. Did it 2 years in a row and we lost a gaggle of cars through there both times (yes, they blamed me... sigh).

It is a really superb series of corners. Get 2 drivers who really know what they are doing and they can put on a great 'show' in that section.

BUT, if you wanted the hair on the back of your neck to stand up, you needed to see Mark Jaremko traverse that section in the Stohr D/SR!! SHOCKINGLY fast. I doubt anybody in anything has gone through that section faster including Can-AM and F5000's. He was so far ahead of the Formula Atlantic cars by the time he hit T5 on lap 1 you couldn't even see the FA's or any other D/SR's at T4 yet. And he just pulled more lead through there.

Last edited:
Comparing the two maps, my guess is that the drag strip was too short. The original version of the new plan had the drag strip almost into T2. They angled the strip to make it longer, and had to square off T2 for clearance to stay within the property line.

Back