Pacific Raceways Updates...

Awesome, better then nothing. Pigs may fly...great to hear remember the glass is always half full. From my view point anyway.

The truck driver noted that one load of asphalt was $2500. Times 27 that's $67,500 just in materials. A guesstimate on labor is at least equal to the cost of materials. A baseline cost for T1-T2 is then over 125K, just for that small stretch. Paving the whole track would be expen$ive. Anyone in the industry have a better idea of cost?

[Anyone in the industry have a better idea of cost?]

I paved a 1/3 mile of blacktop driveway last year for around $1.50 sq.ft. The track is roughly 2 1/2 miles long by maybe 30 feet wide. 2.5 X 5,280 X 30 X $1.50.00 = $594,000.00

Well if they are laying a 4-6" toping coat (or whatever thickness they have spec'd), then they either grind down the existing paving accordingly, or feather the edges. There can't be a 4" hard edge at the sides. Are they grinding or just toping over the existing asphalt? In most cases the better job is achieved by grinding to remove undesirable old paving and have a good base to pave to.

My understanding is that most paving is a $1M per mile typically, give or take for collateral work. Thunderhill is 3 miles, and if recollection serves, was $3 million to resurface.

Stopped by today and took a peek. Looks freakin' awesome. Man I can't wait to get back out to the track!

I bet the new paving in T2 going to highlight just how bad T8 is now though :)

When I got there the main straight past 1 was already paved to the South and they were working on the North side toward the hot pit lane.
I noticed that the hot pit lane was ground down where old meets new and this continued for as far as I could see.
I entered at the far west gate. I wish I had my phone or camera with me, but left the house without either.
Since the paving machine has to lay down sections only as wide as it is, I'll bet there will still be a visible seam, although it may not be in the same place as the last one.

Got word this afternoon i could 'officially' release what we already know... The paving from the end of the wall at turn 1 to the station at 2b was finished on saturday. Ronnie will out starting next weekend doing the edging (the cops are on track all week), and they're hoping the painter will be able to do the striping before the enduro. The restart/blend lane was also widened, and the sinkhole on drivers left almost to t-4 was dug out and refilled and compacted and repaved. It all looks awesome!

Back