ST is now an approved class

I think not having a spec tire is part of the fun of the class. It gives us more variables to play with. Sure sponsorship would be good.. but I have a feeling that the way it would work out is that only a few of the "hardcore" members of the class would benefit from the sponsorship. Everyone else would just wind up being forced to buy tires that may not be the best fit for their budget or their car's performance.

In the "Pro3 model" all cars that displayed the proper sponsor logos and finished (or maybe just started - don't remember which) are entered into a drawing for the "benefit". With regard to Toyo, the amount of the prize is dependent on the number of cars entered in the race. With this method, everyone from the winner to the last finisher has a shot at the prize.

PRO3 didn't start out with sponsorship from Toyo. After building enough of a class, we then approached Toyo, around year 3 of the class.

We put in a spec tire from the beginning to tighten up the competition. The year before PRO3 started, most of the E30s were running as ITS cars. Most ran Toyo RA1s, however those with deeper pockets ran Hoosiers and bought themselves 2 seconds a lap, every lap. Some with not so deep pockets would run Hoosiers for one qualifying session to lower their Q lap time, then spend the race attempting to hold off the cars they had artificially put themselves in front of at the green flag. Calling for a spec tire was an easy decision.

What is going to be the cost per race?

Myself and a friend are considering this, we both are in S13 chassis nissan 240s, around 300whp

"Cost per race" is the same as it would be for any other ICSCC class at an ICSCC event. You can check out past race announcements to get an idea of what an entry will run you. Beyond that, it's the usual costs of tires, gas, food, etc.

It's kind of bizarre to have any references to PRO-3 in this thread. ST is the antithesis of a "spec" class. A tire is a piece of equipment, just like a shock, a camshaft, an ECU, an aluminum flywheel, etc. ST will reward quick drivers and dialed-in, well-designed, and well-executed racecars within a 10:1 lb/hp constraint. Maybe we can line-up "Dyno Bucks" :)

It's kind of bizarre to have any references to PRO-3 in this thread. ST is the antithesis of a "spec" class. A tire is a piece of equipment, just like a shock, a camshaft, an ECU, an aluminum flywheel, etc. ST will reward quick drivers and dialed-in, well-designed, and well-executed racecars within a 10:1 lb/hp constraint. Maybe we can line-up "Dyno Bucks" :)

I agree with everything you said, you just said it much more elegantly than I did.

I just threw out the offer to help the class if you wanted to win some free sets of tires from time to time. No big deal to me if you don't.

Back