ST is now an approved class

Thinking once I get past the novice stage I will join. More cause I will have an excuse for being a back marker than an ability to compete. I am told my car was meant for a touring car not a race car. That is from people that have raced them. Turbo may be in order at some point. Tho I am not sure I need more front ballast...:eek::rolleyes:

Don't think of it like that....

Thinking once I get past the novice stage I will join. More cause I will have an excuse for being a back marker than an ability to compete.

Scott, I have some pointers from my novice season last year.

1. Just concentrate on completing your Novice Requirements. Two of my best RACING moments last year were in my first two novice races. Nothing like going out there as a novice and ending up in a door to door battle with another novice.

But I don't recommend this for everyone. I paid attention at the Novice meeting, took notes. Even nodded my head. Then in the heat of the moment and excitement I completely forget everything. It worked out okay fortunately.

2. Have fun refer to #1.

3. Walk around the paddock and introduce yourself. "Hi, I am Scott Haynes I race in Group _, Class _. What group/class are you in?"

4. Have some more fun. See #3.

5. Meet the workers they are easy to spot just look for white.

I too was a "backmarker" one of, if not the slowest in my primary group, G4.
But I found by entering a second run group when I could afford it I was no longer the slowest. I was in the middle! Sweet gave me a bunch of cars to race with. I am sure this will happen to you also.

Remember Championship placings are as much about showing up, finishing every lap as they are about speed. I saw a lot of bullet fast cars not finish in both my run groups. Some mechanical, some from driver error.

If you have any questions just ask the forum here (you will get many opinions) or if at the track ask the other racers or workers.

Speed and performance started out as my biggest concerns last year and ended up being non-issues in a slow car with old tires.

If all you want to do is have fun you will. Then rest will fall in place in its own time.

I am told my car was meant for a touring car not a race car. That is from people that have raced them.

Forget that, hell "The Ground Pounder Drivers Association" (GPDA) started a little rough with the Stock Cars getting them working/finishing on a road course. But they got them figured out and they work very well now.

Disregard the negative, you picked your car for a reason. Enjoy that reason.
I was told this/that/otherthing to do or not do to my car. With what money? Half the fun for me is working on the car and doing my way with what I can.

This sport ("Hobby") costs too much, and requires to much effort to be anything less then a great time.

Now comes the hardest part.....the waiting for the season to start.

Last edited:
I should start by saying I do all this for fun.

I am a big supporter of helping and meeting everybody I can. I spent the last several years road racing karts. I was heavily involved with my club and was even race director. I found meeting everybody in the pits would increase my offers for drinks after racing if nothing else...:D

With both those things being said, that is why I like this group. I ran in a kart class where I was out-paced in speed by a most other just to race with my friends. Yeah it was usually just for a bit at the start, or when they came by to lap me:eek:, or if they weren't running right. But I was on track and having fun. I would usually run another class I had a shot in as well.... Everybody wants to win otherwise we just do track days. It is also a lot of fun to run with people that just want to do some good clean racing.

I know I need to spend my time as a novice. My time on track with my car has taught me that it is not a kart. I have to slow down a lot more for corners I used to charge right through without lifting.:eek: I need to get used to how Conference does things. They are a bit different then what I am used to. Where to be and when to be there. Where not to be.

My car is a 6cyl front wheel drive car. Very front heavy in an IT class filled with real RWD sports cars. I am hoping I have a chance in Production but still not sure there. I chose the car out of convenience. It is a VW. I have several connections for parts and knowledge. I wanted to build a car (never going to do that again) and I was able to get this one at a very good price. The car is heavy and will need more power. This will be in time. I am sure I won’t get bored of driving it like it is for some time. I also have to build my racing budget back up. Building a car is expensive. Even with connections.

I hate winter. If it weren't for kids and Chrismas I think I would go mad. I just finished my car in time to put it away for the off season. I have a few minor things to do but not enough to keep me busy all winter.

Sounds like your on the right track

I knew I remembered your name from some place. :D
Good luck I am sure you will do fine.

We met at Mission. I came up and took care of a work assignment and was talking to Steve trying to figure out what was wrong. Unfortunately it wasn't what we thought. I think you offered me a beer then. See how that works. Racers can't help but to offer drinks aftern an event. It is instinctual.

We met at Mission. I came up and took care of a work assignment and was talking to Steve trying to figure out what was wrong. Unfortunately it wasn't what we thought. I think you offered me a beer then. See how that works. Racers can't help but to offer drinks aftern an event. It is instinctual.

And here you are with your hands in our pockets trying to avoid said beverage
:)

Oh, you should most definitely bring your VW out to play in ST. If nothing else, at least we'd have FWD to go with the AWD and RWD cars! Plus, it'd be cool to have another design out there, rather than 8 billion E36 BMWs. And, it'd be a great way to show folks that ST is a class for all different styles of car: 2-door, 4-door, FWD/AWD/RWD, really tricked out vs. not-so-much, lots of power vs. very little weight, etc.

MAN, I can't wait for next season!!

And here you are with your hands in our pockets trying to avoid said beverage
:)

My hands were in MY pockets. I don't know you well enough to put them in yours yet.:eek:

I did turn you down. I had to drive home still. I didn't want to start down the slope. One beer and fun leads to two to too many...

My wife was right. I did need some new pants. Those were way to baggy.

Not sure where I will end up but I do support this class. I think it will help in growth of the sport. Many track cars out there could make an easy conversion. Without this class they would have to de-tune many of them. what fun is that.

ST Class Count so far......

In alphabetical order because it puts the BMW's first :D (and its my post)

BMW
1 E46 M3-Big Dog
5 E36 M3
1 E36 325is
1 E36 GTR 3.2L
1 M3-R Plastic Fantastic (the roof is BMW);)
1 E30/S50 motor
1 E30/S52 motor-maybe

Porsche
1 968 Turbo
1 944
1 911

Subaru
1 STi AWD Rally car with a turbo thingy (AKA Tire Eater):p

Volvo
1 740 Turbo
1 ? Possible

VW
1 Rabbit
1 6 cyl Gti
19 cars listed above would be an impressive grid! :cool:

Last edited:
VW
1 Rabbit
1 6 cyl Jetta/Passat?

Actually a GTI/Golf

speed_racer_poster.jpg

Mine is even red.

That looks like it could be fun. The different lines can make for some good racing.

Do you think a man could actually expalin this to you Rimmer, being a girl? :)

This class is so straight up and simple I can't believe it wasn't adopted long ago. I apologize if my CW knowledge is lacking, and maybe there are similar classes out there, but this is really cool!

I have forwarded this info. to a few other drivers I know who would qualify for this class, and I do hope they jump in.

"This class is so straight up and simple I can't believe it wasn't adopted long ago."

Wasn't it called GT about 40-odd years ago?

This gives me something to seriously think about. I will have the same problem as hank, as I will have to add about 450-500 lbs to the car to make min. weight. I am not very comfortable adding that much ballast...

We'd certainly welcome you Bunny-rabbit drivers, but I wouldn't want to add that much weight, either. Maybe if you rebuilt the frame with beryllium, or something...

Waskely Wabbit Wace Weight

We'd certainly welcome you Bunny-rabbit drivers, but I wouldn't want to add that much weight, either

I agree with you Steve we would welcome them but adding that much weight would be awful to any car. Remember how happy I was to run my car at 2700 lbs instead of RS Class weight of 3023 lbs (323 lbs less).
But do they really need to add as much as that?
I have no idea what a Waskely Wabbit in Wace trim weighs although I am sure they are light.
Club Rabbit Rules are:
1. Minimum weight requirements:
1500cc engine
1600cc engine
1852 lbs. with driver
1899 lbs. with driver

So they would have to add 501-548 lbs as a guess some how?

Maybe if you rebuilt the frame with beryllium, or something...

Beryllium is a carcinigen and it's Atomic Weight is 9.012182.
I would recommend using Tungsten as it is heavier at an Atomic Weight of 183.84 which is 20.399 times as much. :p Airplanes use them as the balance weights in wings and such. F1 uses it for ballast also.

There are other ways of adding weight besides just ballasting.
But most of these are things most do to lighten the car from the start.
Big Battery
Steel Body work instead of fiberglass
Carry more fuel
Heavier Wheels
More rollcage bracing
Safely mount your spare tire full of sand in the wheel well :eek:
Increase Driver's ballast :rolleyes:
Heavy Walled Exhaust Pipe instead of tubing

And from Days of Thunder:
Bigger fuel line to hold more fuel
Bigger oil pan to smooth the air underneath the car

Back