ST is now an approved class

Ok - so if I understand the ST rules, provided the car complies with the IT safety requirements, meets the class limitations (such as maximum width), looks like a production car and meets established weight-to-power ratio, basically anything goes.

Correct?

Walt

If I remember Peter's car correctly, tweaking the engine to within an inch of its life would mean his car would weigh over 4000lbs! :)

Actually 4800lbs if I only run 18 psi. But with a small turbo I could probably get it down to 3000. Car only weighs 2600 right now. I better stop losing weight!

Ok - so if I understand the ST rules, provided the car complies with the IT safety requirements, meets the class limitations (such as maximum width), looks like a production car and meets established weight-to-power ratio, basically anything goes.

Correct?

Walt

Pretty much, yup. If we were all rich, this class would have a different weight/power ratio and we'd probably all be running ex-DTM cars! :D

Looks like a cool class, guys. If you are looking for a turn-key car that will be competitive and very reliable, let me know. I have three available ready to deliver. Or, check out this thread. :)

why such a high minimum weight?
I will need to add almost 400lbs. not sure if I can do that safely?
Eight 50lb plates, man at least it will help the balance of my car.

why such a high minimum weight?
I will need to add almost 400lbs. not sure if I can do that safely?
Eight 50lb plates, man at least it will help the balance of my car.

Because most of the drivers that helped shape the rules for this class have a difficult time getting they're cars below 2700 w/driver.

Because most of the drivers that helped shape the rules for this class have a difficult time getting they're cars below 2700 w/driver.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Another way would be that the vast majority of cars capable of running ST are not Caterham-weight cars. Still another way of looking at it would be that we needed to limit things to get a "safe" mix of cars, i.e., we didn't want anything with a lot of horsepower (and, therefore, weight) mixing it up too closely with a car that had too little weight. With a "weighted class" (ha!) like this, we could quite conceivably have a 240whp/2400lb car engaged in a wheel-to-wheel battle with a 360whp/3600lb car. That was about the limit of what we felt comfortable with.

Correct?

Walt

no tube frame sections or complete tube frame chassis - is the other limitation. It couple be implied that you meant that in the "class limitations" but I am just making sure.

Ok well I get the weight thing. At least I can put the weight where I wantg it and get some better balance front to rear. that puts the power level where we going in the first place. hope to see you out there in ST!
what other cars are looking at running?
I know there are the E36 guys but what others?
I gess I would be the only Rabbit.

ive talked with some S4 (2000-2001) owners that track it alot are looking in to it. any American Iron(nasa) cars would fit in

Right now, yeah, mostly E36 BMWs. But also a Porsche 944, a 968 Turbo, an E30, a Subaru WRX STi, at least one 911, maybe Peter's Volvo, your Rabbit (how cool!), possibly one American Iron car I've heard about, and... something else I can't remember right now.

lol all i need to do is finish my m3 (ecu install that it) and that would be another one. my first track car which i still have. is a 5.0 mustang i was going to build into an american iron car so its half way lol. was offered an 2000 S4 for a good price and all it needs is a cage and it would be very fun in ST. still thinking on buying it but then that would be 3 racecars and a cobra kit car and still no truck i think im going about this racing thing all wrong :)

That's exactly what I meant. Removing the dash, using fiberglass body parts, etc. are acceptable as along as the car complies with all the other ST rules.

Just thinking out loud right now (and $$$ is always an issue) but exploring the possibility of putting a turbo in my Volvo 240.

Walt

Yes, Walt, you are correct. In broad strokes: no full or partial tube-frame cars, has to (generally) look like the original production car, and be no lighter than 10lbs:1WHP (or (WHP + WTQ) / 2, for FI cars).

Pat Boyle has expressed a little interest in running his RX-7 in ST. He would have to add ballast though to make minimum weight.

Back