Feedback on Seattle Rain Rules

In 2007 the no passing zone was from turn 9 all the way to start finish. It also caused a lot of dive bombs going into 8 because people knew it didn't matter if they got a bad run down the straight as long as they were in front at 9.

....Where, and/or what exactly is the incident, and if it can be identied, then why shouldn't you pass afterward? Is it the surface condition that may be considered the incident? If so, then would the caution (no-pass) zone last until the next flag station "not displaying" a yellow flag?

What's that rule again?

At the 'bad race' in 2007 3 or MORE cars had serious incidents in the first part of the kink due to flooding during the qualification sessions. Due to the standing water (lake), there was effectively a single line through the kink that had to be carefully threaded at speed or risk hydro plaining and spinning into the Jersey's. Attempting a pass or side-by-side run through there was tempting the Goddess of Racing to roll the dice on your fate.

This was way beyond mere rain showers and resulted in severe flooding at the kink. During the drivers meeting it was announced that a STANDING yellow would be displayed for the races at Turn 9 and the NO PASSING zone extended until the S/F line. Period over and out. An improvised rule to address what was obviously an unusual and very hazardous condition.

After that, there was still one incident at the kink due to a driver hitting the lake wrong all on his own.

NOTE:
To the best of my knowledge this was the one and only weekend the rain was heavy enough to envoke this action.

Last edited:
I do think IRDC should approach PR about painting day glo orange stripes on that kink wall on drivers right as Gary mentioned. Not sure if even that could be seen in heavy rain, especially from an OW car, but it sure couldn't hurt. It is very spooky running thru there hard and being basically blind as you do it. Talk about the hairs on your neck standing up! If you are following other cars you see nothing but white.
I was passed by the Brown Cobra R in the 4 hour a couple of years ago and due to the spray and lack of vision I missed the line by maybe a foot, or less. The M3 will go thru the kink full tilt if you stay on line, but that lap I went wide, hit the heavy water and went almost totally sideways at 140+. I resisted the urge to grab the wheel and instead made small corrections until she recovered, clear down by S/F, but the adrenaline rush didn't subside for about 3 laps, and I seriously questioned why I was driving a car that fast, owned by some else, in those appaling conditions.
I'd vote for the yellow every time, and if I had any sense I'd stay in the paddock with Mr. Spreen.

HA! Serves us right: current 10-day forecast says - Rain. High 63F and low 48F. Winds NW at 4 mph. Air Quality: NA, UV Index: NA; chance of precip 40%.

Still sunny on Friday for the TNT tho.

ekiM,

We will do it as you, the "Steward of the Meat", dictates.

You must use the rules as you deem fit for matters beyond safety.

Just ride in on your valiant Black Escalade of Justice, wielding your smighty sword of justification. I've got your left flank.

Ken, the incident is the lake, or the wadded cars on the other side of it, take your pick, there usually only 50 yards apart.

Since either would be on the track, we could maintain a waving yellow for the whole session. ;)

It would certainly be easier to see through the misty fog... or the red haze.

HA! Serves us right: current 10-day forecast says - Rain. High 63F and low 48F. Winds NW at 4 mph. Air Quality: NA, UV Index: NA; chance of precip 40%.

Still sunny on Friday for the TNT tho.

Where are you guys getting your forecasts? This weekend looks sloppy for SOVREN :( but not too bad.

The ONLY one I have confidence in is the NOAA forecast. At the moment, they are projecting 83 degrees and sunny for NEXT Wednesday (2 days before the race weekend).

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=sew&textField1=47.38028&textField2=-122.23738&smap=1

In the long range 'text' below the 5 day outlook.

Last edited:
Waving yellow would be the right flag and more visible, but it would sure wear out flaggers in a hurry. Some yellow beacon lights on the walls left and right would be better and more expensive. Best would be to fix the real problem, drainage of the runoff before a lake is created.

Rob

From this morning's NWS forecast discussion:

"All of the extended models keep the strong upper level ridge over western Washington into the weekend after next making for a dry and warm latter half of September."

I like the forecast discussions - they give an insight in to how weather forecasting works.

I'm pulling my info off the MSN.com home page. I have each of the zipcodes for all the tracks setup on my.msn.com. It gives a 10-day (Richard - this info matches yours for next Wed.) All of it stems from the NOAA data, I guess it depends on the weather models that are run using that data. Hardly guaranteed, but it's the best I got!

weather.com is showing 71df and sunny for that Saturday, so take your pick.

I don't believe any of the forecasts until about an hour before the race anyhow...and even then, I'm suspicious.

Here is an issue that may need adressed. if you have a standing yellow at 9 we usually go at 8/10th's pace down the straight, how do we know if there is an incident on the straight or not? we may need someone frantically waving a yellow somewhere in 9 where we can see them well, even with the mist from another car.

Robbie,
A waving Yellow would get their attention, BUT how do you upgrade a waving if YOU REALLY NEED ONE?
Just asking as I have been caught on this before.

I like the beacon as it wouldn't interfere with an actual standing yellow for a real incident.
It only comes on when there's liquidity.

Just food for thought, maybe there are some bright electronic types out there that could make us one?????

Beacon lights

Robbie,
A waving Yellow would get their attention, BUT how do you upgrade a waving if YOU REALLY NEED ONE?
Just asking as I have been caught on this before.

I like the beacon as it wouldn't interfere with an actual standing yellow for a real incident.
It only comes on when there's liquidity.

Just food for thought, maybe there are some bright electronic types out there that could make us one?????

Excellent point. Wireless systems for this sort of thing exists, though I've never played with one. I would put one on the wall drivers right at the apex on T9 at a minimum. I would also suggest a couple more locations on the right and on the left. If they are bright enough, they should catcy the corner of the eye regardless of the road spray ahead.

Back