New Qualifying idea

Rick,
Just for clarification with the sprint race and then the full race.

If you are going for championship points, unless you get points for the sprint race as well as the full race, we would still have to have as many race weekends. No??

Other than that there doesn't seem to be a reason to have two races in a weekend and only have one that counts.

(Unless I am missing something here, which could be a distinct possibility.)

At the risk of Steve shooting this whole thread into the Commercial Section, please forgive my shameless attachment of ORSCCA's Oct. 3-4 Regional, with no chicane. But it gives you a real record of their approach.

The Sprint races do not count for points, but..."sets grid position for Main Race."

Originally, the Regional points races were 20 minute, then 25 minute, now the Sprint (Qual) races are 20 minutes and the Main is 35 minutes (Mileage may vary at other tracks).

BTW, I'm sure that there is plenty of room in all Groups, if anybody needs a little TnT for the Enduro(s)... Just sayin' ;)

I'm pretty sure that a Chump Car isn't going to make muster.

You are correct Lynn. It does nothing to create a double race weekend, but it does make the ICSCC redundant qualifier on Sunday a little more interesting. And, I'm still wondering if calling it a sprint 'race' would get some more contingency monies for some of our competitors. That's enough incentive to consider the change.

BTW #2, It was the Regional drivers' input that created this kind of schedule. Just in case there was anybody that didn't believe that it's even possible for drivers to control their own destiny within SCCA.

Last edited:
Hi Lynn,

My thinking would be to award full points for both. But there will be many sound arguments for no points or partial points based on rae length.

Rick,

I'm not a driver but an owner of a car that competes. This idea is a slight modification to number one but does allow for almost identical track time as scheduled for this coming season ending race at Pacific. The schedule this weekend allows for 77 minutes of track time. The outline below allows for 85 minutes of time and two races a weekend along with a practice and qualifying session. I prefer and believe most want as much race time as possible as opposed to practice and qualifying yet at the same time want some time for both. This allows for such and two races a weekend. Perhaps I'm wrong with that assessment so tweak away as needed.

Number 1 option with a few changes.

Saturday
Morning practice: 15 min max.
Go right to qualifying: 15 minute max.

Lunch and Drivers meeting.

Continue qualifying after lunch until complete.
Run Sprint races until curfew or set cut off time. 25 minute minimum

Sunday
Remaining Sprint Races

Lunch and drivers meeting.

Sunday Afternoon
Full races: 30 minutes

With Saturday practice and qualifying utilize qualifying time for both races or best time during sprint race for full race if that is workable with our computer system. Using the sprint race best time for the full race allows for issues that may have prevented a less than desirable qualifying time for the full race or a no time. Doing so in essence treats both days as if there was qualifying for each race. It would also be appropriate to maintain the same qualifying/race order for both days so that all race groups receive the same amount of time between practice, qualifying and the races. Rolling the groups after the sprints would have a significant impact on the first and last race groups after the sprints.

Rick,

I'm not a driver but an owner of a car that competes. This idea is a slight modification to number one but does allow for almost identical track time as scheduled for this coming season ending race at Pacific. The schedule this weekend allows for 77 minutes of track time. The outline below allows for 85 minutes of time and two races a weekend along with a practice and qualifying session. I prefer and believe most want as much race time as possible as opposed to practice and qualifying yet at the same time want some time for both. This allows for such and two races a weekend. Perhaps I'm wrong with that assessment so tweak away as needed.

Number 1 option with a few changes.

Saturday
Morning practice: 15 min max.
Go right to qualifying: 15 minute max.

Lunch and Drivers meeting.

Continue qualifying after lunch until complete.
Run Sprint races until curfew or set cut off time. 25 minute minimum

Sunday
Remaining Sprint Races

Lunch and drivers meeting.

Sunday Afternoon
Full races: 30 minutes

With Saturday practice and qualifying utilize qualifying time for both races or best time during sprint race for full race if that is workable with our computer system. Using the sprint race best time for the full race allows for issues that may have prevented a less than desirable qualifying time for the full race or a no time. Doing so in essence treats both days as if there was qualifying for each race. It would also be appropriate to maintain the same qualifying/race order for both days so that all race groups receive the same amount of time between practice, qualifying and the races. Rolling the groups after the sprints would have a significant impact on the first and last race groups after the sprints.

Does that allow for the same novice track time?

Hi Lynn,

My thinking would be to award full points for both. But there will be many sound arguments for no points or partial points based on rae length.

I would be in favor of partial points. My reason being that other than the fun of racing (vs qualifying) there ought to be some positive outcome for running a good sprint race. Otherwise the sprint race really just becomes a qualifying session... with an incentive not to let faster people pass.

Proportional points would seem most appropriate -- 1/2 if the sprint race is 15 minutes, 2/3 if the race is 20 minutes.

[QUOTE= Does that allow for the same novice track time?

Considering the proposals 85 minutes of track time for a given group was compared to the 77 scheduled minutes for the upcoming Pacific season ending race the answer would be yes. Tweaking the minutes a bit to get down to the 77 minutes if needed formats allocation for all groups.

Back