Hot time at PIR Double National

robjacobsen

The Pros From Dover
Take a look at the series of photos at this link. The worker in the photos is Howard Gaffney, ex-submariner. Howard has to be in his late 60s and getting a bit frail to be doing this kind of thing. You'll notice a gap in the series of photos at one point. That was due to the photographer and former turnworker, Doug Berger, putting down his camera to take a spare fire bottle out to Howard. Doug then grabbed a broom and put out the grass fire buring beside Howard. No injuries, but there are reports that the fuel cell was compromised and that the filler cap was substandard. The fuel cell did not go completely thanks to Howard. The extinguisher he was using is a water and ColdFire mixture that, as you wil see, is very effective.

http://www.digitalracephotos.com/gallery/SCCA_7_09/Nat_3_Smush/index.htm

:eek:

Nice work Howard!

Looks like the driver tried to move the car off the grass, or did he not know he was on fire? Did the driver activate the onboard fire system? If I remember correctly there are supposed to be 3 "nozzles" in a GT fire system, one aimed into the engine bay, one at the driver and on at the fuel cell.

Glad to see everyone got away safely.

db

Carbecue!

How come EVERY race car that I see leaking fuel in the middle of a turn has a fuel cell? How safe are they really? Or is it just crappy installation on behalf of the car builder/owner?

HOLY SMOKES!!! (and fire!!!) Way to go Howard, that looks extremely scary. Fires and rollovers are the things that frighten me the most.

Carbecue!

How come EVERY race car that I see leaking fuel in the middle of a turn has a fuel cell? How safe are they really? Or is it just crappy installation on behalf of the car builder/owner?

We see much fuel leaks from cars leaving the grid, fuel cells or not. Two or 3 a day isn't at all unusual. What is USUAL is the cap has been left off or loose! These leaks normally subside after maybe 2 to 3 laps and the driver gets away with it unless it's flowing out in 'rivers'.

Even well designed and installed cells are NOT a cure all to prevent situations as shown. In violent affairs such as this, it's not uncommon for the filler neck or the fuel pick up line to be broken off from the cell. However, if the cell maintains its integrity, the resulting fire is 'minimized'.

Please tell me in all the fire and frolic......where was Russ?????? He had to have been around there somewhere......or heaven forbid he was with the witch and Dano and they were ALL in the general vicinity.

But it is believed that fuel sloshed out of the top of the box (via vents........

AND THAT is why I once raised the question... aren't one way check valves required in the fuel cell or tank breather line? Got the 1,000 yard stare as the person pondered why I would ask such a question.

The FC has one and I can't imagine putting Jeff on the track without it. Go inverted and it's an automatic fuel dump. Not having one sorta de-feets the fuel cell concept in inverted or on-your-side situations.

For $13 why go without it? Particularly in a formula car or sports racer.

http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=12470

There are different designs available based upon what options are feasible with your car. But all are under $60.

Last edited:
Both the fill tube and the breather tube in my cell setup have check valves... 'cause, unlikely as it is, ya never know when you might end up inverted. (And, as you point out, they're not that expensive. Skin grafts can be pretty pricey, tho'.)

watching the Koni GT race from Mid-Ohio the other day, one of the BMW's had a fuelling
problem- as he drove out of the pits, you could clearly see the 'whoomph'
as the fuel flashed and blew his trunk lid open. They must have torn the filler off the cell,
because 4 laps later, he came in with his butt on fire.

It happens to everyone, including F1...

And it pays to think about where your cell vent empties- Dave Bennit explained that to me
a few years ago by just pointing at the vent and then at my muffler... and then looking at me.
Even the check valves sneeze some amount of fluid. Mine sneezes out of the other
side of the car now, though.

t

Agree on that sneeze thing, Toby.

Jeff got in the car once at Pacific last year for the start of a race. Once in the cockpit, he said "I smell gas". I said "I don't". He said "I DO" and jumped out of the car.

Sure enough, a small dribble had exited the breather on to the diffuser. When I eye balled the cause, I said "Get back in the car". A paper shop towel wipe and off he went.

The spill was caused by over exuberant pouring of fuel in to the fill funnel causing a back up in the neck to the vent line. Our line is routed on the opposite side from the exhaust :)

Check valves won't stop dribbles but will engage when it starts to flow.

Last edited:
Back