Local Author Garth Stein at the SOVREN Northwest Historics

Hey Everyone~

Come check out the ColdTrackDays booth this weekend at the 21st Annual SOVREN Pacific Northwest Historics! Local author Garth Stein will be present at the ColdTrackDays booth signing copies of his novel, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" Saturday, July 4th, from 12pm-1pm.

Also, be sure to check out Munich Evolution's 1979 BMW M1, which was owned by the former Prime Minister of Qatar!

Finally, ColdTrackDays.com t-shirts will be available for $15. Small, Medium, Large, & Extra-Large sizes are available!

So stop by, meet some of the ColdTrackDays staff, Garth Stein, and help support Seattle Children's Hospital. We look forward to seeing you there!

Additional info here: http://www.sovren.org
Visit www.ColdTrackDays.com for race coverage throughout the weekend!

On booth row, there's another one on the track side of the isle (not sure who's running it).

They have probably 300 or more stunningly BEAUTIFUL (crisp, sharp) black and white photos of drivers and cars of old for sale with matting. Some are on 'special' at a very good price and those that aren't will still tempt you. All are catagorized by era and include sports racers and formula cars.

Trouble with working this event is, you don't have time to enjoy things like that. I'll just bet there's a photo deep in those stacks of Archie Brown in his Lister Jag. The driver who over came the greatest of odds to become a road racing champion!

P.S.

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein is a topic of discussion on Apexspeed (I have not read it). As I understand, the book is not about 'racing in the rain'. But ALL who have read the book have nothing but HIGH praise for it to the point of passing it around to other Forum members.

Last edited:
I thought that book was required reading up here in the PNW?

In fact, I read it before I read the ICSCC rulebook!

Actually, the photo booth is RIGHT along side the IRDC booth and, Garth Stein is STRAIGHT across from the IRDC booth. Lee was there yesterday and Toby was the 'featured attraction' today :)

Hey guys come out and watch. Al Unser Jr's Frisbee won both races today over Sir Jackie Stewart's Tyrrell. Weird stuff!

Frisbee doing meritorious duty for Jackson Dean but, the Brabham BT40 (F5000) red #40 lost oil pressure yesterday and it was decided they couldn't rebuild the Brabham engine over night (but they were trying).

Want some GOOD NEWS Portland? Jackson-Dean WILL be running (plan too) the Shadow DN11 F5000 car down there!!! :)

The delightful yellow Piper 777 retired from yesterdays race :( and I was sad. BUT, it was back today and completed all its sessions!

I must say MASS quantity's of thoroughly BLOWN engines today :( with much, much oiling of the track. Ray had to run home for a larger supply of dry sweep. At least two of the engine ka-blou-ee's were on the front straight (unloading pistons, rods and other important stuff) in to 2 and down to 3. Several oilings from 4 to 6 and one from 6 to 7. Good thing Obama wasn't there. Even he'd say drill-baby-DRILL!!

Good showing by Mark Powell in the very fresh Titan MK6. He's letting the usual pack-a-4 dog fighters get some distance ahead then holding pace with them but laid back enough not to get tangled. DARN, he'd like to do some Conference racing. But when they did the ground up restoration, they left the front hoop 'period correct'. Wouldn't meet current rules for role bar to front hoop broom handle test. :(

AND - AND!

If you have never seen one you have missed the car that started the modern era of race car design (IMO). There's a Ferrari 250 Testa Rosa out this weekend and it's RACING!!! Beautiful car with the sweetest sounding V12 engine ever made.

I'm not sure of the value of this particular car. But it is the same model and year Ferrari 250TR that sold for $12,000,000 earlier in 2009 at auction.

Last edited:
Rich, you forgot the HEAT! We measured 92 Degrees on Ronnies shaded porch. See it doesn't always rain (or snow) in Seattle!:D

Kerry,

I spoke to Toby at lunch time (yesterday now). Told him about 1PM on Friday I was wishing for about 30 minutes of the 'march madness' Enduro weather to blow through :)

Another notable car. 1948 Talbot-Lago F1 car is circulating at serious racing speed! During Fridays race, it looked like he was going to be a 'cruiser' for the weekend. But in the 2 races yesterday, he put it down and 'could' have won by a good half a lap if he hadn't put it in cruise control after building a lead. In the afternoon race, he built a lead over his 'class' then kicked in the auto pilot so as not to run over the FV's (big turn out there). He's not throwing it sideways in big Nuvolari or Fangio style drifts but going real good! Wonder where he buys those HUGE tires?

Run over the Vee's you say, Rick? Yes, WEIRD deal in 2nd race for that group. Vee's went off FIRST in a split start. Funny thing, starter called the second group for not maintaining enough spacing and not holding speed after pace car wento off. Well shucks wud-a-ya supposed to do when the pace cars running 31 MPH?

2 Tesla's on display.

Side note:
The IMSA cars are pretty cool to watch but no Prototypes. The front 6 were playing 'show time' racing swaping positions every few laps but still, going like heck. "Rumor" has it Portland will get some prototypes but they weren't too enthused about coming up here because of racing surface conditions :(

Last edited:
You just have to read Art of Racing in the Rain!!!! Racing is kind of a backdrop, almost another character.

It's a mandatory read for anybody who is a NW racing fan AND has had their heart taken by the love for a big dopey dog. GT sez "Go Enzo, Go". Woof!

I'm Tired!

Good day of racing all round. Some drivers had 'some' mechanical problems and all seemed pretty minor. From a workers perspective a quiet day of racing.

Cept for one NUTTY serious 'sounding' alert near the end of the day. Camaro off wildly at T-2 (of course). HARD hit into the tire wall bouncing tires all over and the car climbed the tires! Oh wait, cancel alert. He's driving away. :) Came through 7 not looking at all bad, considering. Good old American iron!

The crack up for me of the weekend came in the next to last session. Chuck, who has worked T-2 for three days came on the radio and identified himself as the Starter... Too funny! Yes, long 3 days for all of us (actually 4 for me).

Sat in the IRDC booth and ate my potato chips at lunch to try and keep people away. It didn't work. The guys in the booth (who were supposed to be there) were hard at it recruiting for up coming drivers schools.

Ken:
No, won't be there next weekend. But don't miss taking a close look at that Ferrari.

Been looking at lunch time for THREE days trying to find that thing in the paddock. Finally found it today.. Oh my.. memory's. Reason I couldn't find it earlier was because it was hidden behind a constantly present 2 to 3 rows of people taking pictures and drooling down the carburator ram tubes.

P.S.
The Frisbee won both races over the Tyrrell again today. Wow... zaah

Last edited:
If you have never seen one you have missed the car that started the modern era of race car design (IMO). There's a Ferrari 250 Testa Rosa out this weekend and it's RACING!!! Beautiful car with the sweetest sounding V12 engine ever made.

I'm not sure of the value of this particular car. But it is the same model and year Ferrari 250TR that sold for $12,000,000 earlier in 2009 at auction.

A couple of quick pics from my phone just before he went out for the IMSA GTP race.

Back