SOVREN vintage races at PR July 3-5

transamdriver

Just a reminder about the PNW Historics at Pacific Raceways this weekend July 3-5. This is a real "blast from the past". Always some 250 plus entries and is a great vintage race weekend.

Come out and support this event that benefits the Children's Hospital. See you there.

Robert Barg

Truly one of the great events of the Seattle summer. Surely wish this was given more promotion. Two years ago watching about 25 Trans Am cars take the green flag definitely brought me back to the 70's watching races at Laguna Seca. Will be there on Sunday in the Porsche corral. Weather should be "fan" tastic!!

I'm going out today to help with some early stuff. Do you have an interest in getting a closer look??

As some of you may know, there are THREE events going on at our various race tracks this weekend including an SCCA national in Portland. SOVREN usually gets a good turn out of corner workers for this event but this year, the additional events may put a strain on availability.

SOVREN likes (if possible) to know who's going to work in advance so they can have a 'package' for workers. However, with the shortage, Rick Weixler can use all the warm body's he can find even if it's only for 1 day.

If you have any interest in working a corner you might want to try and contact him today at:

weixler@wavecable.com

If you cannot contact him, just go to the 'workers' window at the registration booth. Ward Bettes is usually there on Friday/Saturday morning signing in workers. Just tell him you're a 1 or 2 day worker and he'll take care of you. If it's somebody else, tell them the same thing and they'll sign you in. Corner worker meeting is at the picnic area by Turn 9 at 8:00 AM all days.

I'll be at the meetings. If you have trouble getting in (which I doubt), call me at 206-518-1740 and I'll try to help clear the way.

The featured "marque" is the IMSA GTP cars of old. Think Camel Lits Series with Porsche 962, Jaguar XJR-10, Nissan NPT-91. Hmmm, wondering if there are any Corvette GTP or Mustang Probes left? Or was Riverside really the end of them? Probably the most infamous (ugly) racing footage on the internet :(

http://www.royhooper.com/gtpcrash.htm

Last edited:
I remember that wreck, and how amazing it was that no one was badly hurt. Definitely was a stupid move...

Hey Kerry, Edelbrock is there with his wares every year, and usually races along with his daughter. Will he be driving something special this time?
Parnelli was there last year, so I wonder if they will have a suprise driver this year? I sat next to Dan Gurney 4 or 5 years ago, and had a nice chat during the salmon dinner. He and his widfe were so down to earth and humble it was amazing. The cars tend to be the same year to year for the most part, but not knowing whom you'll run into around the corner is what always brings me back.
Those IMSA prototypes were awesome, and I can't wait to see them up close again!

... and I can't wait to see them up close again!

Well, Ahh Hummm... there are about 15 or 16 IMSA GT(P) cars on the advanced entry list... but

no 962's :(
no NPT-9's :(
no XJR-10's :(
no Toyota GTP's :(

On the other hand the paddock is already PACKED from end to end. Jackson Dean has a Frisbee (maybe a new one or "our" old one). It's done in the Galles Racing livery as in Little Al's car. Another group has a seriously MEAN looking UOP F5000 car.. yikes! Not the UOP Shadow Can-Am. Not sure when that will make it's debut out of the J/D group.

Seems like there are a LOT more out of town cars then our 'typical' year with the race groups looking really full.

And as a special treat for you FF guys. A FRESH off the dyno yesterday at Loyning and newly restored Titan MK6 racing out of Bend, OR! Number 80 blue/yellow livery. Driver, Mark Powell

Last edited:
Hey Kerry, Edelbrock is there with his wares every year, and usually races along with his daughter. Will he be driving something special this time?
Parnelli was there last year, so I wonder if they will have a suprise driver this year? I sat next to Dan Gurney 4 or 5 years ago, and had a nice chat during the salmon dinner. He and his widfe were so down to earth and humble it was amazing. The cars tend to be the same year to year for the most part, but not knowing whom you'll run into around the corner is what always brings me back.
Those IMSA prototypes were awesome, and I can't wait to see them up close again!

I saw the Edelbrock folks at Lime Rock last year. They were racing a Shelby Mustang and a Corvette. Pretty cool!

And as a special treat for you FF guys. A FRESH off the dyno yesterday at Loyning and newly restored Titan MK6 racing out of Bend, OR! Number 80 blue/yellow livery. Driver, Mark Powell[/QUOTE]

Gary Willis is also bringing out his new Titan Mk 6. He decided to sell his Lotus and race both Conference and Sovren with the Titan. Gary, as you know, is one our local guys.

J.C.

Vic is supposed to be @ lunch with the workers today signing autographs and such. Don't know if/what he's racing. More stewards than you can shake a brick at....

Back